Author Topic: Model 88 Stock?!?!?!?!  (Read 1089 times)

Offline mtmedic

• Trade Count: (0)
Model 88 Stock?!?!?!?!
« on: September 17, 2005, 10:14:17 PM »
I was carrying my model 88 in .243 and the buckle on the sling let go and ....   well :cry:  :(  :cry:  :(   the barrel hit first and the stock is history.  I would like to find a replacement.  I saw a synthetic on the net a couple of years back but have since forgotten where.  Anyone know of one of these?  Anyone have any ideas as to a standard stock replacement.  I would appreciate any help I can get.

Offline Zeke Menuar

• Avid Poster
Model 88 Stock?!?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 01:07:45 AM »
I ran a Google search and came up with this

http://www.mpistocks.com/stocks.htm

http://www.mpistocks.com/model88.htm

Don't know a thing about MPI stocks and judging from their price list they ain't cheap.  At any rate you have a starting point.

ZM
Official Guardian of the Arsenal of Paranoia

Offline mtmedic

Model 88 Stock?!?!?!?!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 06:00:42 AM »
Thanks for the tip.  I have never seen that site and I have been looking.  You arn't kidding about thprices either.  Maybe since they are one of the only people out there selling these they can get away will it.  Any way like you said it is a starting point.

Offline TNrifleman

• A Real Regular
Model 88 Stock?!?!?!?!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 08:10:53 AM »
The broken stock on your rifle probably can be repaired. Where did it break?

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
Model 88 Stock?!?!?!?!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 01:09:10 PM »
I picked up a laminated stock for my 88 from Boyd Gunstocks (http://www.boydboys.com/BrowseEbus/1piecewin.asp).  Haven't got it completely fitted yet, but it is a nice piece of wood.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline mtmedic

Model 88 Stock?!?!?!?!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 04:39:19 PM »
The stock broke right in the middle next to the magazine in the thinnest part on both sides.  I thought about repair but it splintered quite badly when it broke.

I did find boyds and didn't think their prices were too bad.  I really would like a synthetic stock but I can't pay $400 to $500 for one.  That is just robbery.  I suppose when you have a corner on the market you can charge that though.  I might just have to order from boyds and get one and learn how to fit them.  I appreciate the help so far...  So thanks

Offline Winter Hawk

Model 88 Stock?!?!?!?!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 08:40:01 AM »
I got a quote this summer from Seigrist Gun Shop in Michigan (989-873-3929) of $75 for fitting the stock.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline CowboyEngr

Model 88 Stock?!?!?!?!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 07:24:40 AM »
I just saw a Bishop unfinished for mdl 88 on E-bay.  Look under Winchester stock.  Also, I have no idea about inter-change with a mdl. 100, but there were two mdl 100 stocks on there also.

Offline mtmedic

Model 88 Stock?!?!?!?!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 06:50:39 PM »
Thanks cowboy...  I checked on both those and emailed the seller of the 100 for info on the switch.  The stock of the model 100 sure does look similar.  Who knows, maybe it'll work.  Thanks again.

Offline CowboyEngr

Model 88 Stock?!?!?!?!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 08:47:47 AM »
Good!  Let me know what you find out about the 100 & 88 interchange.  It would be good to know.  The 100 & 88 are very similar and interchange some parts (sort of).  Good luck.

Offline mtmedic

Model 88 Stock?!?!?!?!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 10:34:48 AM »
Cowboy,  He emailed me back and nope to the switch.  Thats all I got.  I was hoping for some explanation but nothing.  I will keep an eye on the 88 though.  Thanks again.

Offline mtmedic

Model 88 Stock?!?!?!?!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2005, 05:28:48 PM »
Well I tried to get that stock but I ran out of time and the other guy got in the last bid.  Does anyone have a web address for Bishop stocks or are they even still in business?

Offline NYH1

Model 88 Stock?!?!?!?!
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2005, 01:57:42 PM »
mtmedic, *Try this!* About half way down the page on the right!
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
Model 88 Stock?!?!?!?!
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2005, 07:26:35 PM »
Just fwiw, I've used a few MPI stocks, and none of the guns shot right afterwards---all pillar bedded. Its my personal belief their stocks are flimsy; I have 3 McMillan glass stocks and I can't flex any of them appreciably.  I can easily flex an MPI.

I drive by their "facility" every day to and from work........its a run down rat hole old service station....he's got mexicans making the stocks.

Interesting thing, a couple major (HIGH END) gun makers uses their stocks on custom jobs by a smith out here.  

I need a new 88 stock as well, I'll go with wood and be happy.

:D

RR

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
Model 88 Stock?!?!?!?!
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 01:47:09 AM »
....he's got mexicans making the stocks.

Why was that bigoted comment necessary?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Winter Hawk

Model 88 Stock?!?!?!?!
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 11:38:12 AM »
I got a Boyd's stock for my 88, the nutmeg laminate.  Haven't got the action in it yet, might have to have that done by a gunsmith.  Siegrist quoted $75 last May.  Boyd's has plain wood also.  Cost is pretty reasonable.

-WH-

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
Model 88 Stock?!?!?!?!
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 06:05:52 PM »
Why was that bigoted comment necessary?

:roll:       There wasn't anything bigoted about the comment. I'm pointing out the place is a dump and they have low wage mexicans making the stocks.  I can make those comments because I've used their stocks, been in their place, dealt with them, and have personal knowledge of their business. Some folks like me may not want a component for their rifle built under those circumstances.

RR