Author Topic: Neck Sizing Only for .223 Handi  (Read 471 times)

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Neck Sizing Only for .223 Handi
« on: June 18, 2005, 04:40:08 PM »
Has anyone tried neck sizing only when reloading for a .223 Handi? If so, how well do the cases eject?

Instead of FL resizing what about just bumping the shoulder. Has anyone tried this?

Offline AZ223

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 05:38:31 PM »
I've been using the Lee Loaders for my .223, which I believe sizes the neck only. No problems so far...
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 04:13:22 AM »
I neck size for my .223 handi and  cases eject great.

Norse

Offline jmeadows

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 04:58:59 AM »
I have hornady dies for my .243 does anybody know how to set them up to neck size only..

Offline pascalp

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 05:59:42 AM »
Just an idea, i had read somewhere.

A Full lenght sizer could neck size if you unscrew-it enough. You could do also a partial lenght sizing !.

Unscrew the die until it doesn't touch the case then screw-it enough for your need.
How much, how many turns, good question!.
To see what happen and trim the amount of case that you  will resize, you may "smoke" it (blacken) and you will see the progress as you will screw the tool.

I had tried this trick successfully before buying a collet die.

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 09:12:51 AM »
i have done a fair amount of neck sizing with my .223 Handi'; but have to keep an eye on it because it eventually allows the brass to expand to where it can be tougher to chamber or extract.   a good alternative - some say - is to do the partial-length re-sizing using a full-length die that is unscrewed a little at a time to see how far out one can go before the (previously-fired) rounds don't want to rechamber.    some don't care for it, but the principle makes sense to me.   i just don't remember doing too much partial-length sizing, because i haven't lost that much brass to full-length resizing like some claim.  

i think that the lubricant i use,  Mobil-1 in 5w-30 or heavier, has allowed me to achieve a longer case life through less stretching of the brass.    then too, i polish the expander balls in my dies with a 600 grit wet/dry machinists paper to eliminate drag on the ball against the case neck.   i lube the inside of the case necks with the Mobil-1 and wash it all off in very hot water with Ajaz Lemon dish soap.    

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 05:07:54 PM »
I use the Lee Collet Die on .223, .22 Hornet and .30-30 and don't have problems with any of them ejecting.  I wish I had collet dies for everything I load!

I bought a new set of RCBS .30-06 dies the other day for $20 and afterwards I kicked myself for not putting an extra $4 on it to order the Lee Deluxe Die Set.  Oh well.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
Lee Collet Dies
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 05:17:56 PM »
I use a Lee collet die for reloading my .257 Roberts and it does a great job(sub-moa). Great quality and fantastic value too

Regards

McL

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
Neck Sizing Only for Handi's
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 11:02:05 AM »
Tried neck sized ammo today and every case ejected normally. Thanks for the input.