Author Topic: Recommissioning the Handi  (Read 690 times)

Offline Shsrcat

• Trade Count: (0)
Recommissioning the Handi
« on: June 08, 2005, 05:46:04 PM »
I bought my Handi in .223 about fifteen years ago. I was looking for an inexpensive single shot for some long range shooting. After buying the rifle I ran a box of rounds through it and retired it to my closet. I had too many other guns that I found more interesting to shoot.

After watching my brother-in-law Nuttinbutchunks shoot his various Handis I decided it was time to recommission the .223. So the bore got cleaned out with a 50/50 mix of Shooters Choice and Kroil and the Mueller 8.5-25X Eraticator got moved over from my Savage .17 HMR. If this weather ever clears up around here I'm going to a range, sight this puppy in, and use it on varmits. I hope I haven't got started on an incurable disease.
NRA Life Member

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 05:55:46 PM »
Too late....you're hooked now!!!  :-D   And welcome aboard!!!  :D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 08:53:47 PM »
Nother one bites the dust 8) . Good to have you here. :D  :-D
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 07:49:01 AM »
:D welcome and good luck with your handi. I have a mueller scope on my handi .223 ultra and I like it alot.

Norse

Offline Shsrcat

Range Report
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 11:35:27 AM »
I finally got out to a range - actually a nice level spot out in Hobble Creek Canyon- measured out 100 yards. I used a rest but had to shoot from a rickety old table. After three shots to see where I was hitting, I placed a nice sub one inch three-shot group close to center. Six shots later and I was lined up 1.5 inches high of the x-ring. Ammo was Winchester white box - really nice stuff. Thanks to those who advised resting on the hinge pin - it made for consistent groups.

This Saturday Nuttinbutchunks and I are headed out Vernal way looking for PDs. I'm sure one of us will report in our results.
NRA Life Member

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 01:15:59 PM »
I just ordered a Bull Barrel Handi 243, sure hope it shoots better than my Synthetic stainless 243 does...........if it's like my hornet and 45-70 are, I'll be very happy..they have great triggers and accuracy!

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 02:08:23 PM »
Shsrcat

I am glad your handi is shooting good for you. Let us know how you and nuttin do with the PD's

Norse

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 06:12:20 PM »
great rifle, :wink:

Say for the rest position, i got resting bags under the hinge but what about off hand? hand under the hinge as well.
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
Winchester White Box Ammo
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 03:58:13 PM »
I agree 100%. That White Box ammo is great and the best support location is under the hinge pin. I came to this conclusion after trying multiple reloads and every manner of support other than under the hinge pin. As a matter of fact I would be still trying to figure out what was wrong had it not been for the excellent quality of the White Box ammo and the fine help I got from Quickdtoo of this forum.

Offline Shsrcat

PD Report
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2005, 05:49:16 PM »
We took the Handis out PD hunting this afternoon. Nuttinbutchunks had his usual high body count with some exceptional shooting despite a stiff 15-20 mph crosswind. I, on the other hand, had a lousy day when my Handi's transfer bar decided to break after only three shots. Nothing worse than having a PD no more than 25 yards away looking right at you and having your Handi go "click" instead of bang. Nuttin was nice enough to lend me his .243 but by then the herd had been thinned out enough that I only got one.

There is a silver lining to this bad day. I'll probably have another barrel fitted to the action when I send it back to NEF for repairs. Now if I can only decide on a caliber. . . .

6/20 Postscript. Got an email message back from NEF. Turns out my Handi is too old to have a high pressure barrel fitted. I guess this gives me a good reason to buy another one.
NRA Life Member