Author Topic: What's the fix fer....  (Read 673 times)

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Trade Count: (0)
What's the fix fer....
« on: June 25, 2005, 06:05:06 PM »
...floppy loading levers?

Shot my NMAs in a CAS match fer the first time today. Whadda HOOT! :-D

But had occassional problems with one. The loading lever would flop loose sometimes under recoil. A Pard told me to file the notch in retaining post a bit deeper to prevent the tip from banging on it in recoil. He's been a long time shooter of NMAs and I reckon he knows wat he's talkin' about. But Before I go ta filing, I'd like to obtain more opinions. (I'm think'n about a stouter spring too)
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline ribbonstone

• Avid Poster
What's the fix fer....
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 03:48:34 AM »
Lets assume it isn't a Walker or a Patterson...those will always have loading lever problems.

IF it has a latch, I work on the latch rather than the notch on the barrel post. Whne locked up in place, do you notice that it rattles?  The wedge on the end of the lever isn't being pushed out far enough.

That locking wege is powered by a sping and held in place by a little pin. Pin rns through a slot in the wedge.  IF you take it apart (be carefull to suport the lever's split end when driving that pin) can needle file the back end of the slot...which lets the wedge stick out farther when the spring pushes on it.  

Usually the spring is plenty strong enough...once you get that wedge sticking out anouther 1/16", it will hold recoil. IF you get it stiking out far enough to still be under tnesion when it's locked in the barrel stud notch, it won't rattle.

Offline Cactus Cris

What's the fix fer....
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 11:14:16 AM »
Ribbonstone gots it right.  Had to do a few of mine & other pards that way.   Only draw back to it is that ya have to pull the latch back b4 it will go into the catch.  No more "snap'n" it in.  With the new Brodave loader, Ya have to remove the cylinder each time to load.  Sweet- for the 5 1/2" NMA & ROA"S.  That lever is way short & hard on the hand to load.
Cactus Cris  SASS 2790  Darkside Posse, Cart maker, Corral Keeper, Gpa of 6

Offline Cuts Crooked

What's the fix fer....
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 08:55:52 AM »
HMMMM?

Well, a quick exam reveals that the latch is fully engaging the notch, not coming up short or anything like that. Indeed the latch is in a slightly compressed condition when latched! When held up to the light I can see no light leaking through b'tween the latch and the notch, ergo: a perfect fit. So I'm not sure what route to take here. Looks like filing the slot is not going to give me any more engagement with the notch?

Other interesting stuff: I got consistant ignition with CCI caps! But they would occassionally bust and fall into the lock work. So I tried some Remington caps. No more problem with them falling into the werks! Unfortunately the Remingtons didn't give me consistant ignition! :?  I had one that falled to fire the charge and several times got "hangfires", a brief delay b'tween the cap popping and the charge going off, with them. Next time out I will stick with 3F powder instead of those pellets and see if that make a difference with the Remington caps. I liked the convenience of the pellets but I strongly suspect they are much harder to ignite than real BP!
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
What's the fix fer....
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 07:57:31 PM »
Pellets?  Well, now.  You might want to try the CCI magnum caps as well.  Cost just a bit more, but it's what I use when I just have to use Pyrodex.  :wink:
Singing Bear