Author Topic: Recoil of 480 Ruger  (Read 568 times)

Offline mkee

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
Recoil of 480 Ruger
« on: June 20, 2005, 08:35:20 AM »
I currently own a TC Contender that I shoot heavy 45/70 loads with 350 gr RN bullets, and a 375 JDJ that I shoot moderately heavy loads with 300 gr hornady SP's.  Now I'm looking to buy a large bore revolver.  I've been thinking about a 454 Casull or a 480 Ruger in a Taurus Raging Bull.  Can some of you guys compare the two for me in terms of felt recoil, and energy for hunting.  Most of my shots for hunting are less than 100 yds.
Thanks,
Mkee

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Recoil of 480 Ruger
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 09:10:26 AM »
Haven't used any of them, but 480 Ruger is usually compared favorably to 44 magnum recoil, and milder than 454 Casull.   45-70 and 375JDJ are considered to have very strong recoil.
Safety first

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Recoil of 480 Ruger
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 10:12:14 AM »
Quote from: mkee
I currently own a TC Contender that I shoot heavy 45/70 loads with 350 gr RN bullets, and a 375 JDJ that I shoot moderately heavy loads with 300 gr hornady SP's.  Now I'm looking to buy a large bore revolver.  I've been thinking about a 454 Casull or a 480 Ruger in a Taurus Raging Bull.  Can some of you guys compare the two for me in terms of felt recoil, and energy for hunting.  Most of my shots for hunting are less than 100 yds.
Thanks,
Mkee

That is a difficult question to answer. Recoil is how you perceive it. What I think is mild my be heavy to someone else. You will have to shoot them and make the comparison for yourself.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Recoil of 480 Ruger
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 01:37:11 PM »
I have a 480 in a SRH I can shoot it one handed no problem, but I am
using factory ammo so like redhawk said  recoil is something different
for everybody moderate to me possible hemotoma to someone else.
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."