Author Topic: shotgun hunting---???? on slugs and sabots  (Read 1673 times)

Offline newhunter1

• Trade Count: (0)
shotgun hunting---???? on slugs and sabots
« on: July 03, 2005, 06:02:51 PM »
Shotgun hunting--???? on slugs and sabots :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to get the opinions of some of the more experenced shotgun hunters. At the close of hunting season here in Illinois, I bought a Mossberg 695 12 gauge shotgun with a leupold vx-II 1-4x20 scope. Got a deal at 200.00 bucks. I found that the scope was right on at 100 yards with Lightfield slugs, but the price was a kick in the teeth. 11.00 for 5 rounds, and I know this is the average price.

Here's my question:

Tonight I was a super wally world and crusing the hunting section (what little there is) and found several boxes of Federal premium and Federal ammo for a steal.

1) Federal Premium ammo: Hydra-shok Sabot slug HP, 2 3/4" 1 oz Max, and muzzle velocity 1450 fps. Boxes were marked 5.00 a box--bought two boxes.

2) Federal ammunition: Power-shok rifled slug HP, 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz Magnum, muzzle velocity 1520 fps. Boxes were maked 2.00 a box--bought five boxes.

The question that I have is this, which one is a better slug for the job of killing deer. I only have 10 rounds of the Hydra-shok's and 25 rounds of the Power-shok.

I liked the Lightfield slugs, but will use what I have so that I don't spend to much money. These were a steal and bought what I could when I found them.

Give me your insights to these rounds or to some others. My shotgun has a rifled barrel in case your wondering. Should I shoot rifled slugs only or will a sabot slug engage the rifleing?

Thanks for your help...
Paul

Offline williek

rifled slugs
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 04:15:32 AM »
The rifled slugs will most likely not shoot very well, and will probably foul your rifle barrel with lead.  You can try it but I don't think you will like it.
The gun was made to shoot sabot rounds and will do it very well.
I have a Mossberg, iron sights, rifled barrel on my 870 Remington and it shoots 3 inch groups at 100 yards.  That is a well as I can shoot my iron sighted deer rifle at 100 yards.
I agree on the high price of sabot slugs; however, if you shoot two or three rounds to determine if it is still right on the money- how many more rounds do you need to shoot??
I generally shoot last years rounds for checking the sights, and buy a new fresh box for this year.
Works for me.
Good hunting,
Williek

Offline newhunter1

shotgun hunting---???? on slugs and sabots
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 05:29:57 AM »
Sound advice---thanks

Paul