Author Topic: .375 'cat idea  (Read 686 times)

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
.375 'cat idea
« on: June 14, 2005, 03:32:54 PM »
Well, I just sold my 300 win mag rifle but still have a few thousand pieces of brass for it. Today I was thinking about doing a barrel for a Savage long action by starting with a .375 barrel, cut the body with a 338 win mag reamer, then use a .375 neck and throater to cut a neck long enough to use full length 300 win mag brass. Cases would be easy - full length size with a 338 die, and fireform. After that turn the necks to cleanup, and use a Wilson bushing die to load. I'm sure this has been done before since it's so obvious, does anybody know if it has a name? It ought to make a pretty good blaster and it'll be fun to see how close to 375 H&H performance I could get.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
.375 'cat idea
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 04:48:46 PM »
Nobade

I am not sure that I understand. The .300 Win. Mag has a much longer
case body than the .338 Win. Mag but a shorter neck. But yes, it has
been done & it is a good round. If I see data I will let you know.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
.375 'cat idea
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 02:02:13 AM »
That's the idea - push the shoulder on a 300 case back with a 338 die, once it's fireformed it'll have the body of a 338, with a half inch long neck for good support of cast bulets by using the full length 300 case.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Lee S. Forsberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: .375 'cat idea
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 07:36:20 PM »
Quote from: Nobade
Well, I just sold my 300 win mag rifle but still have a few thousand pieces of brass for it. Today I was thinking about doing a barrel for a Savage long action by starting with a .375 barrel, cut the body with a 338 win mag reamer, then use a .375 neck and throater to cut a neck long enough to use full length 300 win mag brass. Cases would be easy - full length size with a 338 die, and fireform. After that turn the necks to cleanup, and use a Wilson bushing die to load. I'm sure this has been done before since it's so obvious, does anybody know if it has a name? It ought to make a pretty good blaster and it'll be fun to see how close to 375 H&H performance I could get.

It's called a 375 Chatfield-Taylor. I think it's in Ackley's books. It's a good cartridge you should be happy with it.
LSF/375