Author Topic: laminate vs synthetic weight?  (Read 663 times)

Offline beckerhead

• Trade Count: (0)
laminate vs synthetic weight?
« on: June 20, 2005, 04:32:43 AM »
I have had a .308 ultra about 7 yrs, but am brand new here so bear with me please. I love my rifle, but want to shave some weight, would switching to a synthetic help enough to notice or not? I am a little iffy about changing anything on a consistent sub MOA shooter, so I want it to be worth it.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 04:40:34 AM »
it will make them a lot lighter!!  i would say the laminated is a good pound and a half more them the synthetic. i have both and when packing them all day you can really feel the difference.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 04:54:30 AM »
beckerhead: Welcome to the forum.

I have noted a big defference when switching back and forth between these stocks. But be prepaired for a possible POI and accuracy change. Maybe you will be lucky in the accuracy, I have not always been.

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 05:09:52 AM »
Welcome aboard!! :D  What they said!!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Stan in SC

• A Real Regular
weight difference
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 05:23:07 AM »
One thing to bear in mind when switching between wood or laminate and synthetic stocks is that the balance of the rifle will be markedly different.
Synthetic stocks ARE much lighter but as I experienced with my 45/70 the weight was all forward with the synthetic stock installed and just felt all wrong so I went back to the wood sotck.
Also,as mt3030 mentioned,you poi,poa and accuracy may be much different.I will not say that accuracy may suffer except in the aspect of your personal hold due to balance change.
Try it and you can always change back as long as you keep the original stock.

Stan
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 07:28:02 AM »
Welcome aboard. I have to agree with everyone above me has said.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline beckerhead

thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 10:30:44 AM »
thanks so much for the feedback. what about the tamer stock? will it fit, and will the shell holder adjust to hold my .308 shells? it looks pretty cool, and if it works would be real "handi".

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 11:21:39 AM »
The tamer stock wont adjust. It would be nice if it did. I think you could probably use the 410 tamer stock for 45-70s though.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Welcome
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 12:29:33 PM »
Welcome to GBO web site, The site will get addictive. :D
 Only thing I can say about switching stocks, try it you may
 like it, if not switch back. Marv.

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 01:32:53 PM »
beckerhead;

That's exactly what I did, got me a set of synthetic stocks in replacment of the  laminated stocks. Mine was the Ultra Varmit in 223. My idea was the same as yours, knock off a little weight. I wanted less weight for my 44 mag. barrel. And what a difference it made. Sold the laminate stocks to quickdtoo (Tim) and bought the synthetics. I've had no problem as far as accuracy goes. Heck... took the 223 Ultra w/ plastic stocks and went paraire dog shootin out in OK. That was the rifle I used most. I don't believe I lost any accuracy going synthetic.
I really like my set-up for both barrels.

Dennis  :D

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 03:01:30 AM »
:-D , Welcome aboard Beckerhead, There is a bunch of fine guys here, so come often and stay late, it's a fine place to be. And if you want to swap those laminated for a brand new set of synthetics just let me know, perhaps we can work it out. Swaps like this have been done many times before between members here and have worked out well for all, stocks, barrels, etc, etc, etc. I have often thought of a Tamer for my 45-70 for a "walking around gun" myself but have yet to find anyone who has both a Tamer with .410 stocks and a 45-70 shell to try it for fit. I do have a H&R "Survivor" buttstock and a "Storarm Forearm" on my coyote gun and it does work GREAT for carrying through the woods all day and is light and easy to hold steady, thats why I set it up that way, if your interested I could try to post a picture of it....<><.... :grin:

(think about the stock swap, decide which new synthetic set you want and let me know,either in a PM or here on the board, are your older set a grey or camo color?...Thanks)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline beckerhead

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 03:56:55 AM »
thanks for so much info MSP. stocks are cinnamon lam. wouldn't trade em though, too much of a pack rat. right now I have three 10/22 stocks and 1 10/22 go figure? anyway, I had considered the survivor stock, but it doesn't seem as slick looking as the tamer, but Im sure the pack rat in me would love the survivor stock. how much room is actually in there? and what about the forearm?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 04:23:16 AM »
Plenty of room for all needed survival gear with the exception of a tent,tarp, or sleeping bag. First aid gear, signaling mirror, small ball compass, matches, firestarters, twine, fish hooks, etc all can fit and don't weigh much, still less than the laminate stock set. I do have a small aluminized sleeping sack in a belt pack at my camp that might even fit in the buttstock, just thought of it, it's about the size of a double deck of cards. I might try to get it in the buttstock and pack the smaller stuff around it next time I'm up at camp...Good Luck to you, I think you will like the survivor stock, try one out....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Stan in SC

• A Real Regular
Survivor stock
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 09:07:55 AM »
I put the survivor butt stock on my ultra light .243 but left the small factory synthetic forearm on it and I absolutely love the way it feels.The good thing I found was that the pistol grip allowed me to pull the stock in tighter to my shoulder when shooting.Up in a climbing stand it is as handy as a pistol.Looks great also.
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline marlinman444

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005, 11:38:22 AM »
How bout that pic MSP. Before I buy my handi and order new stocks i want to see what those survivors look like on some diff barrel configs

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 12:40:58 PM »
Here you go Marlinman, I'm not a wiz with the camera but below is a picture of my 19" .280 Remington "Thunderboomer" with a Survivor stock and "Storearm forearm", it has been fitted with a Williams peepsight and a front sight from a .22 Hornet which is the highest front sight made by H&R/NEF for the Handi's. It makes a dandy "truck gun", light, short, powerful and accurate.
The second gun is my coyote special for Maine, a .22 Mag Sportster with a Survivor buttstock and a storearm forearm. It is topped with a Millet Red Dot and will shoot 1" groups at 100 with the proper ammo if I do my part!! Light, easy to carry, accurate, and very easy to hold and shoot with the survivor stock.
The last is my newest Handi, a .22 LR Sportster with the standard synthetic stocks set replaced with wood and iron sights from a .22 Hornet fitted to the barrel, a real squirrel killer for the back yard with .22 Super Colibri's!!!

Hope this picture helps....<><.... :grin: