Author Topic: I'll never make it til fall  (Read 469 times)

Offline Billybob

• Trade Count: (0)
I'll never make it til fall
« on: June 25, 2005, 02:32:49 AM »
I live in a suburban residential area of homes with 1/2 acre lots. I have to drive an hour to the nearest area open to deer hunting. There is a county park nearby though but hunting is not allowed there.
I am pouring myself a cup of coffee the other morning and happen to look out the kitchen window. There stands a beautiful 8 pointer all in velvet just chewing on a tree in my backyard. He struts around for awhile and then proceeds to eat my neigbors flowers before wandering off.
I can only hope to see a buck that nice this fall.

My son said he saw a group of 4 deer right up the street the other night. Now there isn't enough wooded area to support that many deer around here. I know what has happened though. There used to be a heavily wooded area nearby where everyone use to ride atvs. We would see deer all the time on the trails there. Well they just bulldozed that entire wooded area to build a new super Walmart and all that wildlife had to go somewhere. It's a shame. Instead of the community building more parks they would rather have a new Walmart.

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 05:54:07 AM »
I feel your pain Billybob, it's happening everywhere to. I'm only 30 years old and all of the areas my father used to take hunting are history. It really hurts to drive past a huge new car dealership where I shot my very first squirrel. A wally world where I shot my first deer. A housing development where I used to go after school chasing rabbits. Now I have two boys of my own that like to hunt but It seem like we have to drive 3 hours to find the nearest tree. I just hope this growth slows down because if it don't we will all run out of hunting spots.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 08:23:39 AM »
Yep........drove back to the old home place last weekend.......the farms I baled hay on as a kid are now subdivisions......hard to imagine them that way.  Lots of change has taken place over the last 10 years of so......My friends and family, see the slow change and don't really notice.......I only get over that way twice a year or so, and I am flabbergasted by how much I see.  It's harder now to find a place to hunt than it ever has been.  Liberals and lawyers........everyone's afraid they might get sued if some one gets hurt on their land........lack of respect for a persons property.......let a fence get damaged and that closes the farm......can't really blame the farmer when it cost him time and money.......

Won't be long and only the rich will hunt.......they'll be the only ones that can afford it.........hope it don't happen in my lifetime...!!!!
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 03:01:25 AM »
The area outside of Houston where I grew up was full of game and I enjoyed hunting and fishing many nearby fields, woods and tanks.   Now the subdivisions have covered the entire north and west end of Harris Co. and the deer have been squeezed into tiny lots of woods.

Good old progress.     I feel sorry for my kids who will not have a chance to enjoy the outdoors every day like I did.    I get them into the country every chance I get, but that is not often enough to suit me.

pepaw

Offline Snowshoe

• Contributor
    • http://www.playfarmers.com
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 05:53:55 AM »
Where I live the big farms are getting bigger, so more people are leaving the countrside. My closest neibour is about 2 miles away. I hunt as soon as I leave the house. Taking a job in a smaller town getts me away from all the small [1-5 acre] holdings that pop up around larger centres, but I still have only a 30 min drive to get to a city.
Snowshoe