Author Topic: 308 handi range report  (Read 756 times)

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
308 handi range report
« on: June 25, 2005, 06:19:23 AM »
well i just got me one of them did-ya-dial cameras(digital) so i took it shooting with me today.

well i was nearing the end of my load development .the bullet i use in my 30-06 handi is the 165 hornady sst so i have two boxes of them , so i had to try them in the 308 .  well i use IMR 4064 powder and being that i had about 4lbs left of bl-c2 i tried it too. well the bl-c2 didn't do well , i mean it was terrible at 50 yards it wouldn't even stay on a sheet of copying paper so scratch that . but the 4064 did very well . the load i ended up staying with is 43.8 grains of IMR 4064 in a prepped winchester case all under a 165 grain hornady sst. the groups i got where quite good . take a look

the hole in the lower right was a sighter shot , i had just put on a new scope . now granted it is just a three shot group but hey if a deer takes more then three of these to kill it i'm going to stop hunting.

oh and here's a pic of camiel (my 308)

curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
308 handi range report
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 06:30:41 AM »
That's great shooting, Mitchell!!! Is that also a 50yd group? If tis, even at 100yds, it ought to still be well under 1"!!! If it is 100yds, WOW!!!! You're given Mac a run for his money!!! Congrats on a fine handload!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mitchell

308 handi range report
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 06:33:33 AM »
sorry i forgot to say how far its a 80 yard group  but its only 3 shots mac's was a five  :cry:  i don't think i could keep it like that for five shots but i'll try later today i need to go make some more ammo i only got three left.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
308 handi range report
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 06:38:51 AM »
Just take your time on the 5 shot group, there's no time limit that I'm aware of, my best 3 shot groups are about a minute apart.....let the barrel cool for a while and come back at it. When I go to the range, I take several rifles.... to get my $10 a day worth of shooting.... when one is cooling, I just shoot all the others in succession until I'm back to the first one.

Tim

Offline mitchell

308 handi range report
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 06:55:27 AM »
well i know what you mean about taking your time the group up there was shot in about 20 minuets i took five or more minuets between each shot. but hey it worked

Offline De41mag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
308 handi range report
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 10:30:11 AM »
mitchell;

That's a beautiful Ultra. As for the IMR-4064, I think it's probably one of the best powders you can use in 308 type cases, 243, 7mm-08 etc.
I've got two 7mm-08's, one a Remington and the other a Ruger, Both rifles just love 4064.
Just got my H&R Value coupon in the mail the other day. May just get a 7mm-08 barrel for the Ultra. Or maybe, just get a new rifle then get the 7mm-08 barrel. Heck... I'm confused. But I'm not gonna let the coupon go to waste.
Good Shootin with that 308.  :wink:

Dennis  :D

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
308 handi range report
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 11:44:26 AM »
Hi mitchell :D

Thats a very nice group and good shooting. I bet you would get a good five shot group as long as you took your sweet time.  At 80 yrds that is some great shooting, congrats.

Norse

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
308 handi range report
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 02:27:20 PM »
Mitchell that's some great shootin. Wish my 223 would do that.  :cry:  O well if it don't shape up i'm getting a 7-30 waters 8) . Anyway good going on the 308.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline mitchell

308 handi range report
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2005, 04:41:50 PM »
thanks guys !! it was too darn hot today for me to shoot anymore so i just reloaded some more , if its cool enough in the mourning i'm going to try some five shot groups @ 100 . kinda funny i heard that this barrel wouldn't shoot just goes to show how useful hand loading is . BTW if i go down 1/4 grain groups open up to about an inch. finicky little sucker isn't he?

dennis thats the same ultra i had out in ok. i think you saw it that last day i shot. thanks for the complement i got lucky with that one.

Offline blx

Value coupon
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2005, 05:26:31 PM »
Value coupon?  How do you get one of those?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
308 handi range report
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2005, 05:45:11 PM »
H&R sent a $20 off barrel list to those who bought and registered new H&R/NEF rifles last year, IIRC. $5 off the barrel and free fitting.

Tim