Author Topic: newbie casting question  (Read 637 times)

Offline mac266

• Trade Count: (0)
newbie casting question
« on: June 27, 2005, 03:17:36 PM »
Hello again.  I've been reloading for years, but am just getting into this casting thing.  My question is about using a coleman stove to clean wheel weights and make them into ingots.  If I do that, can I still use the stove to cook food?  Of course, I will NOT use the pot, ladles, spoons, etc. that all have contact with the lead, but is the stove itself ok to cook on (with other, non-lead pots, etc)?
MAC

NRA Member and Certified Instructor
SASS Member
Pikes Peak Firearms Coalition Member

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms.  It means a strong desire to live, taking the form of readiness to die."  - G.K. Chesterson

Offline Goatlips

• http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/index.html
newbie casting question
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 06:41:51 PM »
mac266,

Don't know why not.  Most of us started out on the kitchen stove, and cooked dinner on it that evening.  But your Coleman'll be uglier, guaranteed.

Goatlips
...through the mysterious force derived from The Holy Black, he has the Power to Cloud Men''s Minds!

http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/index.html

Offline jh45gun

newbie casting question
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 07:17:09 PM »
I cannot see why not either but some on more cautious may be against it but like it was said a lot of us at one time used the good old kitchen stove. If nothing else hit the junk shops and find a electric hotplate they can be had for a buck or two and it will do the job well and then you will have no worries. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
newbie casting question
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 02:03:12 AM »
I got one of those single burner Coleman deals that are designed to screw on to a small propane cylinder for camping. Using that with a hose and a big 25# tank, and supporting the burner on a couple of cinderblocks has worked really well for me in the past for cleaning scrap.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline sundogg1911

newbie casting question
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 02:32:21 AM »
I tore out a 3 burner stove, from an old camper and built a  frame around it with handles to make it a table top stove. I use it for mixing my WW's and Lino. I also still use it at my camp to cook on. Just keep it clean, you'll be ok.  :grin:

Offline Darrell Davis

newbie casting question
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 11:48:42 AM »
:D Hey there casters,

I have as old Coleman stove which has melted a very large amount of lead/WW.

And NO, I do not use this stove for cooking.  The stove frame must be about 55 years old, and cooked a bunch of great food in its day, but years ago it was retired to lead melting.

A few years back, I put newer guts in it from a stove which jumped into the way of my son's truck.  That didn't do the frame much good, but did give my old stove a second life.

Anyway, have used the stove a couple of times recently and plan to fire up again early on the 4th.  Have a new 45ACP which wants to be fed, so must get back to the process.

I use a large pot, Rowell bottom pour ladle and generally run 3 - 4 molds at a time.  This system just flat runs circles around any bottom pour I have seen in operation when it comes to production.

Keep em coming! :wink:
300 Winmag