Author Topic: Difference between roof and porro prisms binocs??  (Read 401 times)

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Difference between roof and porro prisms binocs??
« on: June 30, 2005, 05:17:05 AM »
Can someone tell me the difference and/or benefit to each roof and porro prism binocs?  Im looking for a compact for hunting.  Not really interested in spending much over 100.  I have a nice pair of Nikon for glassing, so I just want a decent pair for game ID.

Thanks
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
Difference between roof and porro prisms bi
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 06:49:04 AM »
Poro prism binos are not as easy to water proof, are bulkier, have better depth perception, and can be made to be clear and bright at a lower cost then roof prism types.

Roof prism binos need good phase coatings to be as clear and bright as poro types. They are easier to make water proof and have less bulk.  

Jon at The Optic Zone has 8x42 poro prism Bushnell Legends for about $109.  I wouldn't get binos with less than 7x magnification or with less than 32mm objective lens. The Legends have rain guard and it really works.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline TheOpticZone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Difference between roof and porro prisms bi
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 09:25:51 AM »
Dave has pretty much explained it, but I will add that Roof prism binoculars are more money due to the phase coating and the cost of lining up the prisms in a straight line.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!