Author Topic: New .243 Ultra Varmit - Range Report and Thank You  (Read 535 times)

Offline vincewarde

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
New .243 Ultra Varmit - Range Report and Thank You
« on: July 02, 2005, 08:58:35 AM »
My new .243 Ultra varmint came in this week.  While I was waiting the required 10 days here in California I spent quite a bit of time reading the posts here in this forum.  they were extremely helpful and I think everyone who took time to post information.

Here is what I did prior to heading out to the range:

1) I used brake cleaner to thoroughly clean the barrel assembly and breach area.  It took an amazing amount of work to free the extractor, but finally it broke loose and began to work.  I have to wonder how many people who have had problems with extraction have simply not cleaned the rifle adequately.  It took a lot of cleaning and work with brake cleaner to get the grease out.

2) Next I went ahead and thoroughly cleaned the bore and chamber, making sure to get rid of all traces of grease.

3) I polished the chamber with polishing compound as described in the posts here in this forum.

So with this I headed out to the range with 80 rounds of S&B 100 grain soft points.  After reading the posts here, I was prepared to see keyholing with this weight bullet, but this is what I had, so I thought I would give it a try.  I made sure I took a cleaning rod in case I had any cases stick.

After range I bore sighted the rifle and fired my first round at 25 yards.  No keyholing - but when I opened the action the first case stuck.  I thought, "Oh well I guess I'm going to have some problems here." However, when I fired the second round and opened the action it tossed the empty about ten feet behind me!  It continued to eject reliably for the next 80 rounds.  Not single case stuck after that first one.

Accuracy was pretty good, with a couple groups of three rounds under any inch at 100 yards.  We had a pretty good cross wind blowing which started to spread the groups out horizontally.  All in all, it was a pretty good start.  Now I need to work up some loads and see what it can really do.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Vince
"Preach the Gospel at all times, when absolutely necessary - use words" St Francis
<><

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
New .243 Ultra Varmit - Range Report and Th
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 09:08:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum Vince. :D  Good to have ya here.
And nice with those 100gr 243's.
I had the same thing happen to me the first shot I took out of my 30-06 UltraComp barrel, 1st round stuck, but that was the only one.
Stick around.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 09:10:30 AM »
Welcome aboard, Vince! :D That's a good range report!!  The 243 Ultras typically love the 95-100gr loads, it's the 223 that doesn't like the heavier bullets. I haven't got my .243 Ultra to shoot the lighter 55-65gr bullets well, yet. It shoots the 100gr Federal Hi-shoks well under 1" at 100yds, though.

You'll find that any oil or solvent left in the chamber before shooting will cause stuck cases, even after a chamber polish. Anything left on the cases after resizing/reloading will do the same for handloaders and factory ammo as well. :wink:

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
WElcome
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 01:37:23 PM »
Vince, Welcome to GBO forum! Glad to hear you didn't have trouble
 after first round. Marv.

Offline Norseman112

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 02:13:06 PM »
Hi vincewarde  :D

Welcome to GBO and congrats on your range report and your new handi.

Norse

Offline jmeadows

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 06:17:37 PM »
My 243 ultra shoots the 58 gr. v-max well with h4895 powder ,but i  am using v max 75's with varget trying to bust a yote..the 58 just aint enough lead for a dog IMO...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 06:45:48 PM »
If a 204 ruger 40gr Vmax will do a yote in, a 58gr Vmax from a 243 oughta be enough...Just ask ol Silverfox at PM, he swears by it for yotes...
The .243 55gr Win ballistic silvertip has over 900lb energy at 300yds, the 40gr Rem 204 Ruger has over 600lbs at the same range and I know the ruger kills em DRT and leaves much smaller holes than the 243. If you can get the 58gr Vmax to perform, I wouldn't hesitate to use it, specially if you're lookin to save the hides.

H4895....hmm, might just have ta switch powders!!

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline vincewarde

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
I forgot to mention the best part........
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 12:57:04 PM »
Trigger is about 2 1/2 to 3 lbs out of the box.  Nice and crisp!
"Preach the Gospel at all times, when absolutely necessary - use words" St Francis
<><