Author Topic: Hunting and Mountain Bikes  (Read 1137 times)

Offline insanelupus

• Trade Count: (0)
Hunting and Mountain Bikes
« on: February 21, 2005, 11:59:27 AM »
Okay y'all, trying to expand my options.  I do A LOT of elk, deer and bear hunting in NW Montana (gonna have an early spring, the bear season should be great!!).  I am going to do some backpack camping and hunting this spring and fall, but on the days that I'm not able to stay out for a few nights, I still want to get back off the main road.  We have a lot of closed forrest service roads, that get you back to good hunting, the problem is, several miles back, time limitations and getting back to the truck to get my Game Cart (which works great within a mile or two of the road).  I'm wanting to get back 4-5 miles if possible.

I read this article the other night http://www.montanascabbards.com/carry-elk.php on how to pack out elk on a bicycle, which got me to thinking that might work for me.  I've got a great bike (Gary Fisher Tassahara Hard Tail), add a rack and collapsible panniers, a gun rack like for ATV's on the handle bars and have a pack frame with me that I leave with the bike to use to pack the meat to the bike and bingo, I'm there.  Ride in to the hunting area, hunt, if I get something, make several trips and pedal it out.

I'm lifting 3 days a week, average between 30-40 miles a week (over three days), riding, to get in shape.  My workouts started to get me in shape for backpack hunting and camping, but if I could use the bike too I think that would be great!!  What I'm wondering is, has anyone else ever tried this and can you give me any tips and pointers?  I'll post this in Deer Hunting, Western Big Game and Bear Hunting to get a broader range of responses.  Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
"My feeling is this, give him pleanty of time, pleanty of birds, and a little direction, and he'll hunt his heart out for me.  That's all I ask." 

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 08:09:46 AM »
:D I used my mountin bike in SW Wyoming for moose hunting. It worked fairly well. I wasn't in any great shape. We packed a moose out in six trips using backpacks on our bikes. 3 miles downhill with pack went fast. A better rig for carrying the meat would have been helpful perhaps some sort of side saddles over the back wheel and a guy could pack a hundred pounds a trip. We boned out whole carcass to make packing easier.
Used bike in NM too but  didn't get an animal (elk) to pack.
I carried bow on a sling. A slung rifle gets in the way but is doable.
I've also used the bike to carry in bear bait in northern Wisconsin.
a scabberd across the handlebars may get in the way. A verical scabberd  behind the seat or between your legs or over the front wheel might work.

Offline cooper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 11:23:01 AM »
Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular brand or make of mountain bike?

For hunting, it needs to be rugged, of course, but I don't think it needs to be particularly light.  

How much should I expect to spend on a decent mountain bike?

Offline insanelupus

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 03:15:14 PM »
Cooper,

Most decent mountain bikes will run between $500-$1000 dollars.  Depending on what you are looking for.  I would recommend watching for a lifetime warranty frame and at least front suspension.  The rear suspension is nice at times, but takes a while getting used to.  Besides for the money, I think a good hardtail (without rear suspension)  would beat out a mediocre full suspension any day.  I stick with name brands, Trek, Gary Fisher, Cannondale, maybe Giant if they offer a lifetime warranty frame.  You will want to keep it light, remember you will be pedaling it and the more weight you add, the more it takes to move it.  Good luck.
"My feeling is this, give him pleanty of time, pleanty of birds, and a little direction, and he'll hunt his heart out for me.  That's all I ask." 

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 02:26:42 PM »
This is not a new idea.  Heck most of us remember hunting on our bikes before we were old enough to drive legally.  I used to use an old Baja type bike that had three speeds, spring suspension fork and big balloon tires(not to mention a nice BIG comfortable seat).  Packed many a critter home on it.  One of my nephews ended up with it while I was overseas.  For a sturdy hunting bike I would look into a Smith and Wesson Perimeter 24 speed Police Force Bike.  I imagine if you do a search on the net you can find one.  Usually around $400.00 but built to last, considering the punishment police agencies give them.  Personally I think hunting off a bike is a great idea.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline RollTide

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 05:40:43 PM »
I have not tried using the bikes, although I have thought about it.  My hunting buddy and I have started using something that has greatly extended our hunting range on some of the closed forest service roads.  We take one of those 3 wheeled jogging strollers that have about 20" wheels on them and make game carts out of them.  They are light weight, very sturdy, and we have had nearly 200 pounds of meat and gear on them at the same time.  You are still walking, but with all your gear on the cart going in and your game and your gear on the cart coming out, you can cover a lot more distance in a lot shorter time than backpacking stuff around.  I just put my pack and gun on the cart and it rolls realtively well over logs and rocks as long as they are not much over 10" off the ground.  If the terrain gets to rough for the cart, I just leave the cart and backpack on from there.  I am ruined, I will never hunt without my cart again.  It is a LOT easier to handle and a LOT less fatiguing than those 2 wheel commercial game carts and these jogging strollers fold down really flat while transporting them in your vehicle.  I know it is not a bike, but it is an option that has opened up a lot of previously inaccessible area for us.  These strollers are several hundred dollars new, but I can ususally find them at yard sales or thrift store for $20 to $30 dollars.  I have even thought of hooking the cart to the back of a mountain bike and using it like a bike trailer.  I have seen bike trailers used very successfully in cross country bike touring which I did in my younger days.  I think this could really be adapted to mountain biking as well.

Just a few scattered thought for whatever they are worth.

Roll Tide