Author Topic: is this normal??  (Read 669 times)

Offline 870 expressmag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
is this normal??
« on: June 29, 2005, 08:51:16 PM »
i just bought my first h and r...the ultra in 223 with heavy barrel...i love the gun...then i got to looking and what did i see?  i can get 4 more barrels for it...243..25-06...450 marlin..and 308...well so i sent it back and got a 308 mated to it.....so i got to thinking i could really use...no i really NEED the 243 and 450 marlin.....then i seen the handi's and all the different calibre possibilities there.....this is worse than the nudey bar....so many woman(calibers) it's hard to choose so you want them all!

is this normal?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
is this normal??
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 10:32:02 PM »
Yep...and it only gets worse...Welcome to becoming a Handi-holic :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline kombi1976

• GBO Supporter
is this normal??
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 12:30:20 AM »
And now you know why all us poor sods outside the USA are so annoyed! :x  :cry:
8)

Cheers & God Bless

.22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 NE 3"

Offline 870 expressmag

• Avid Poster
is this normal??
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 03:01:09 AM »
thats right because outside the USA is not eligible for the barrel accesory program right?

Offline kombi1976

• GBO Supporter
is this normal??
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 04:28:27 AM »
Quote from: 870 expressmag
thats right because outside the USA is not eligible for the barrel accesory program right?

Darn right!! :evil:
If H&R/NEF really want to improve their export business they should seek to change it. :|
I know 911 has made a lot of stuff more difficult but I'd happily jump though hoops and pay a little extra to get access to the barrel program.  :?
8)

Cheers & God Bless

.22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 NE 3"

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
is this normal??
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 05:08:26 AM »
Hey kombi and all other Handi-holics from outside of the U.S.A.

Wondering if this would work. And by pondering this on an open forum, this is just for discussion. Not to be attempted unless full research of any and all laws is done by each party.

You, (the non-US want to be Handi owner) contacts a  stateside Owner.

You find a frame and barrel combination you like say an SB-2 frame with 3 different barrels.

Can the non-US buyer purchase the said firearm from the stateside owner and have it leagally transferred to him?

Does this make sense?

Is it legal?
Possible?

Like I said above, this is just for discussion. Legal issues should be thoroughly researched...

Nixter

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
is this normal??
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 06:44:29 AM »
Quote from: Nixter
Hey kombi and all other Handi-holics from outside of the U.S.A.

Wondering if this would work. And by pondering this on an open forum, this is just for discussion. Not to be attempted unless full research of any and all laws is done by each party.

You, (the non-US want to be Handi owner) contacts a  stateside Owner.

You find a frame and barrel combination you like say an SB-2 frame with 3 different barrels.

Can the non-US buyer purchase the said firearm from the stateside owner and have it leagally transferred to him?

Does this make sense?

Is it legal?
Possible?

Like I said above, this is just for discussion. Legal issues should be thoroughly researched...

Nixter

I believe this is still considered a straw purchase...I would check with your local  AFT office and see..

Mac

Offline Nixter

• Contributor
is this normal??
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 06:56:05 AM »
Mac, I understand about the straw purchase idea.

My point is this. If I had a Handi with extra barrels and wanted to sell it to finance another project, could an overseas buyer legally purchase and legally transfer my firearm with 3 different barrels to him or herself?

Is this a bit clearer?

Not trying to be argumentative.

Nixter

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
is this normal??
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 07:06:31 AM »
I still would check with the ATF on out of country sales...since 9-11 everything has change somewhat...

Mac

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
is this normal??
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 07:09:05 AM »
I think I have read where they all need to go through a dealer in the receiving country.
What H&R/NEF needs to do is establish a dealer in a overseas market that can fit the barrels to the receiver.  This would allow that dealer to buy multiple barrels of various calibers and sell them locally.

That way they would be selling strickly to a dealer as they are now.  I'm pretty sure the law just prevents us selling gun parts outside the US.

Maybe a dealer/gunsmith from down under can contact NEF with this idea.  He'd have exclusive rights to selling accessory barrels in the whole country.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Nixter

• Contributor
is this normal??
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 07:14:49 AM »
Kind of like an H&R of Australia or H&R of the United Kingdom?

Hmmm.... might work I guess. Just show Marlin/H&R the profit margin and see what happens.

Again, not trying to be argumentative, just a simple discussion. :D

Nixter

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
is this normal??
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 07:38:44 AM »
That would be a good solution...heck...if all of our gun makers can import rifles and shotguns...no reason why they can't export them and service them outside the US of A...

Mac

Offline Deadeye47

is this normal??
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2005, 06:17:28 AM »
Heck if he just wants to obtain barrels...buy them from someone personally.....mail um to him....it's not concidered a firearm.....the receiver is what is regestered.... :roll: I can't see a problem...but then again I'm not up on the laws either... :wink: Corse he's up against the same thigs we are....will it fit when he gets it???? :?
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
is this normal??
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2005, 06:28:13 AM »
There don't appear to be any restrictions or prohibitions on firearms or parts to Australia like there are to the UK, so I would say it's ok to ship a barrel...cost for a 5lb air parcel would be $33.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immicl/immiclab_012.html

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: is this normal??
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2005, 07:00:56 AM »
Quote from: 870 expressmag
i just bought my first h and r...the ultra in 223 with heavy barrel...i love the gun...then i got to looking and what did i see?  i can get 4 more barrels for it...243..25-06...450 marlin..and 308...well so i sent it back and got a 308 mated to it.....so i got to thinking i could really use...no i really NEED the 243 and 450 marlin.....then i seen the handi's and all the different calibre possibilities there.....this is worse than the nudey bar....so many woman(calibers) it's hard to choose so you want them all!

is this normal?

Normal ? By who's definition?  To a Handi-Holic this is expected, 'outsiders' just kind of shake their heads in disbelief.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC