Author Topic: opinions quick!  (Read 548 times)

Offline ebonitekid767

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
opinions quick!
« on: July 01, 2005, 03:24:29 PM »
goin to gander mtn in the morning and last time i was there i ALMOST picked up a 308 survivor.well im thinkin if its there tomorrow,its comin home.i had this set up in mind.

since i hunt in thick NY woods my farthest shot might be 100 yards.

how would YOU feel about a reddot scope on a centerfire rifle?

i think it would make a neat setup for NY whitetails,anyone do something like this?

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
opinions quick!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 03:35:16 PM »
it will work fine .
bernie
if its feral its in peril

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
opinions quick!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 03:55:26 PM »
It will work great and it will be one fast shooting and accurate woods rifle. My .22 Mag Sportster coyote gun is set up with a Millet Red Dot and is capable of 1" groups at 100 yards with the right ammo if I do my part. My 12 gauge 24" smoothbore H&R with added scope rail and red dot will shoot ragged cloverleafs at 50 yards with Brenneke-Rottwiel MP slugs. I never was fond of red dot sights until I tried them, a good red dot sight can't be beat on a hunting gun for up to 100 yards in the timber!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Norseman112

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
opinions quick!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 04:21:26 PM »
Make sure you always have fresh batteries... I do guiding for turkey hunting every spring and 3 times in the last two years I seen "oh shoot my battery is dead" or "the light is to bright"  :roll: and trying to fuss with it while a Tom is coming in kinda turned me off from them. My mueller scope has a battery that I can turn on for low light and my parallax is red and I can adjust it. However if the battery fails or I forget to turn it off I can still just use my parallax.

Norse

Offline Muddy05

• Avid Poster
opinions quick!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 07:22:15 PM »
It should get the job done easily... just dont forget to turn it off when you put it up for the day!
Go 214th!!

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
opinions quick!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 04:01:04 AM »
Personally I thought it would be cool to get the 410/45 Survivor model and slap a RedDot on it for shooting slugs.
 8) Little cannon.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
opinions quick!
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 04:54:54 AM »
I personally would rather have a good illuminated scope on a 308.....say a Meuller 3x9-40 or 44....this would give you the advantage of the red dot...and  a variable scope to take advantage of the long range capabilities of the 308...I've never been a big fan of plain red dot sites...while than can be very quick on a pistol for shooting matches at multiple steel targets...I find no advantage on them for my style of hunting...and much prefere to see exactly where I'm going to shoot something...not just shoot at it...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline ebonitekid767

• Contributor
opinions quick!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2005, 12:13:38 PM »
got it! they still had it,walked it out the door for 208!picked up a 40 dollar tasco red dot for it,if it holds up great,if not i didnt lose alot.gun feels pretty light for being a heavy barrel and i like it!got some 150 cor-lokts to launch and i will let ya know how it goes! :D

Offline richz14

opinions quick!
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2005, 02:16:50 PM »
Your hunting regulations back East allow the use of Red Dot scopes? Here in Utah, where they allow just about anything in the field, we can't hunt with anything that projects a beam of light on our weapons.

Offline ebonitekid767

• Contributor
opinions quick!
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2005, 02:19:26 PM »
reddot sights dont project a beam,it just shows it on the lense of the scope,i think by projecting a beam they mean like a laser sight....maybe wrong?