Author Topic: New here... and I have some questions...  (Read 974 times)

Offline spraynpray

• Trade Count: (0)
New here... and I have some questions...
« on: July 05, 2005, 12:48:57 PM »
Hello, I'm new to this forum (the whole web site really) and I have some questions regaurding cannons.

Is it legal to make one your self?

How do you (legaly) ignite the powder?

Are there any laws regaurding length of barrel?

Size of projectile?

Type of projecile?

Amount of powder you can use?

And I don't know which froum to post this in... but... are there any laws regaurding "rocket launchers"?  I would just be making PVC rockets, then shove a model rocket "motor" in it, drop it down a tube, walk away, then flip a switch.  They would NOT be explosive rockets, just PVC.

Thanks for any answer you might have.

By the way, I really like your site... and the spellchecker. :grin:
Happiness is a warm CETME.

Your deer rifle will never be banned... they will call it a terrorists sniper rifle first.

CETME owners group #164
http://members.createforum.net/index.php?mforum=entertainmentce

Offline Charcoal

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 02:19:15 PM »
S'n'P,go back through the posts on this board,many of your questions will be answered there.

This forum is geared toward making/discussing black powder cannons and mortars.Im a newcomer here myself and the folks here are VERY safety oriented.

This is not the JOLLYROGER workshop forum.I think BATFE would take a dim view of making rocket launchers or rocket assisted artillery pieces.

If you are truly interested in BP cannons/mortars check out the stickys at the top of the forum,many informational references are available to you.

If you need legal info on firearms and related items check this link.
http://www.atf.treas.gov/faqs.htm

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 02:29:09 PM »
There are laws regarding everything.  Some are even intuitive.  

You might check out http://inverseengineering.com" target="_blank">Inverse Engineering for PVC rocket info.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 02:46:51 PM »
spraynpray -

Welcome to the board!  

Take a long look through the FAQ sticky at the top of the topics in the forum.  They will address a number of the questions you've asked.  I point you (as will/have others) to this so that you can read the BATF regulations yourself - after all I'm not going to get arrested for your inadvertent violation.  Then take a look at SAFETY in the same Sticky.

As you have time and get hooked (ok - we are pushers) in a particular area browse through some of the topics in references or do a SEARCH for key words in this forum - we've had a number of long discussions that are well illustrated.

My considerations are these:  Safety, legality, fun and polite.  Stick with these 4 and you'll fit in well and enjoy the fellowship and depth of discussions on a wide variety of issues regarding our addictions.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline spraynpray

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 03:27:52 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!

I found what I would like to make...
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=65044&highlight=make+cannon

Not to sound like a JOLLYROGER, but would a normal steel pipe work?

The rocket launcher would just be like lauching model rockets, but just out a tube.  Then I would have a remote "lauch pad" to launch it from a safe distance.  I coundn't find any thin on the ATF web site...

Your deer rifle will never be banned... they will call it a terrorists sniper rifle first.

CETME owners group #164

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 03:36:30 PM »
That's a little out of the mainstream of what we deal with on this forum, as we deal mostly with original or reproduction pre 1899 vintage (see BATF rules).

There are a number of folks, some of which haunt this forum, that may well be able to address your questions.

It may even be that there are a number of folks "out there in 'computer-land' " that would want to start a FORUM on such forms of entertainment.  For that, I'd send a PM to Graybeard himself and see if he'd consider starting such a forum.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 05:03:35 PM »
This board is for the making and shooting of blackpowder mortars and cannons that meet ATF's description of an antique or replica of an antique.  You will find Links to ATF's various descriptions in our FAQ's and references posted at the top of the board.
We as moderators will enforce this rule as we understand ATF's definition.

If you wish to provide us a letter from ATF defining whatever other device you wish to discuss as an antique we will allow the discussion. Provide the letter first.

That being said this is what we accept on this forum.

1.  Any firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition

and

2. Manufactured in or before 1898...or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898)

or

3. Any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

The Stokes Mortar doesn't meet number 2 and possibly not number 1 either. I am aware of at least two instances of people possessing those muzzle loading fused fired Stokes mortar replicas being arrested and charged with possession of a destructive devices.  Both were committing other crimes at the time (Meth Lab and barricade situation during a domestic violence)

CW and I are not Lawyers.  We are going to go with what we know and understand. This is for your protection as well as ours.  We do not want this forum to become the hunting grounds for rookie ATF Agents trying to make their reputation.

Offline Double D

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 05:07:15 PM »
Quote from: spraynpray
Thanks for the welcome!

I found what I would like to make...
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=65044&highlight=make+cannon

Not to sound like a JOLLYROGER, but would a normal steel pipe work?

The rocket launcher would just be like lauching model rockets, but just out a tube.  Then I would have a remote "lauch pad" to launch it from a safe distance.  I coundn't find any thin on the ATF web site...

The Stokes mortar you refer to in the link is not allowed in this forum.  The Rocket launcher is out of topic.  There is a forum for exotic weapons on GBO and you might post there.

Offline spraynpray

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 06:14:23 PM »
Thanks... sorry if I "rubbed" anyone the wrong way...

I know about this much (>.<) about cannons...

CETME owners group #164

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 12:37:57 AM »
Thanks... sorry if I "rubbed" anyone the wrong way...

I know about this much (>.<) about cannons...

You haven't ruffeled ANY feathers!  It's just that BATF draws a line according (mostly) to law.  The way the law and policies are interpreted may well mean the difference between 10 years and/or $10,000 per infraction - HENCE, we tend to be VERY carefull not to offend THEM.

You're still very welcome.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 02:10:50 AM »
Yes indeed you are very welcomed here.  We will help you learn about cannons that you can build and shoot and not get on the wrong side of the fence.

We just have to have some guidlines.

Offline spraynpray

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 10:06:50 AM »
So is the steel pipe unsafe?  Or just illegal?

CETME owners group #164

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005, 10:39:15 AM »
So is the steel pipe unsafe?  Or just illegal?

For a mortar or cannon it is very unsafe because of the pressures involved.  My only experience with rockets is putting bottle rockets into steel conduit which gains you a little range.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline spraynpray

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2005, 12:08:11 PM »
I was thinking we could "wrap" extra steel around it, you know, like a gun barrel, it gets thinner towards the muzzle.

I like this site, I think I'll "stick" around. :-)

CETME owners group #164