Author Topic: SP101  (Read 958 times)

Offline Buckeye

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
SP101
« on: July 06, 2005, 11:26:05 AM »
For those who carry 3in. barrel Revolvers ....2in. or 3in. Barrel ,How much Diff. would the 3in. Barrel make in concealment ?
45/70 Government
Is the only Government
        I trust !

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
SP101
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 12:07:10 PM »
I have never carried a 2" SP101 but I do sometimes carry a 3" both in and out of waistband. Inside is no problem and just as comfortable as my 2"Taurus and not quite as fat. Outside the waisband requires that I wear a little longer shirt to hide the extra inch. Nearly everyone makes holsters listed for the 2" but holsters specifically for the 3" seem a little harder to find. I spoke with the people at Fobus over a year ago and they had no plans to make one for the SP101 at all.
I think the 3" is a great choice. My Chrono shows a significant increase in velocity from the 2" to the 3" and the extra length can translate into better accuracy.

Offline Buckeye

• A Real Regular
SP101
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 12:27:18 PM »
Thanks for the very knowledgeable re-ply ,I'm going to get the 3in. barrel,
I've been looking for a self defense 357 for while, I handload 357 for my Puma and BlackHawk ,and the SP101 seemed like the natural choice, being my handloads are not dangerous ,but heavy 180gr.Rem. SJHP bullets backed by 15.5 gr.s of Lil-Gun. Make a dandy Deer & Black Bear load.  Heres a pic. of my 357 Combo. (soon Threesome)
45/70 Government
Is the only Government
        I trust !

Offline S.S.

• Trade Count: (0)
SP101
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 04:54:47 AM »
Were did you find the Hacker/Wayne Lever for your
model 92?
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Buckeye

• A Real Regular
SP101
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 10:39:44 AM »
Thats the lever that came with it, Purddy ain't it !
45/70 Government
Is the only Government
        I trust !

Offline txray22

holster
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 03:24:25 PM »
I like that holster for the Blackhawk.  What is it?

Offline Rscout6945

SP101
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 07:23:57 PM »
I have both the 2 1/4" DAO and 3 1/16" and I have to say that I like the longer barrel much better for shootability and both are close to the same in concealment.
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference-they deserve a place of honor with all that in good.-George Washington  Semper Fi!

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
I have the 2.25 bbl
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 10:14:33 PM »
I have the 2.25 bbl 101 and really like it with crimson trace laser grips.  But, as quite a bit of my carry is in the field and might be used on animals, I've been thinking hard about going to the 3 3/16 for any increased power I might get while still having the CT grips - otherwise I'd opt for my old 4 inch security 6. Might take the 2.25 to the city and leave it there for town use - a little more concealable and a little less need for max power.

I have used the Desantis IWB holster but it worked a big lump on my hip this spring when I carried a heavy knap sack too. The pack must have ridden down on the gun butt.  Most field carry is with a Bianchi nylon belt holster.

I sure like the ruggedness of the 101 and its fit in my smallish hand. One thing, I took some emery paper and a medium stone to a lot of the sharp corners and edges of the gun frame trigger and trigger guard. Then a light buffing with crocus cloth and one can hardly tell anything was done except its easier on my hand.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA