Author Topic: Please be carefull!!! READ THIS !!!!!  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Please be carefull!!! READ THIS !!!!!
« on: July 10, 2005, 03:03:53 PM »
Thought some would be interested in reading this.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/face/stateface/or/03or020.html
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 03:34:11 PM »
Looking at the remnants of the burst barrel, it appears to me that this was an ornamental barrel that was never meant to be fired.

If so, it was only through sheer luck that they managed to use the cannon for the length of time that they did without a mishap.

Reading through the article I am just amazed at how many things they did wrong.

Offline Charcoal

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 04:15:21 PM »
Tragic,a most preventable event.Yes,I agree that many things were done wrong,even with a proper cannon.The above link should be in the appropriate sticky IMHO.

The cannon was not designed for live fire,it did not have a proper seamless steel liner.

The bore looks to be 1.25-1.5" if they were stuffing 35mm film canisters in it.FFFG in this bore range is unacceptable,900grains of FFFG :shock: .They were using volume measurements and not weight,you should weigh your charges in the large bores.Small cannon bores that equal muzzle loading rifles/pistols of equal or better strength volume is fine with appropriate charge.  

Stuffing toilet paper and plastic bags or using any wadding is dangerous and should not be done.

The report mentions the bore may have been improperly maintained.Use a worm to remove foil powder bag  pieces after firing,use a wet/dry mop proceedure to clean between shots.Clean bore thoroughly of powder residue and use a rust preventative.

The report also mentions the need to make sure your powder charge is seated correctly and no airspace exists if using a projo.This is BASIC muzzle loader safety whether it is a rifle,pistol,shotgun,cannon,mortar or hand-gonne.

I really hate to see things like this,as they are preventable with proper education and training.

Offline Cannonmaker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.neffcannons.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 05:24:41 PM »
It is most unfortunate when these accident occur.  They can be prevented by having the proper knowledge, and using safe procedures.  We must understand why Cannons and Mortars were developed in the first place.

When at shows and talking to the public, I fine myself talking much about safety, loading and firing.  It is so important that we educate those who don't quite understand.

As soon as I seen the picture if the burst Cannon Tube I could see it was of unlined cast iron.  Cast Iron just does not have the yield strength to handle the pressures developed upon firing.

May we all have fun in what we do, and may we never overlook the safety issues involved.  Rick
Rick Neff
Neff Cannons & Machine LLC
480 N 1st Street East
PO Box 55
Malta, Idaho 83342              Keeping history alive with the roar of the guns

http://www.neffcannons.com/