Author Topic: Your advice needed on this cannon....  (Read 853 times)

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Your advice needed on this cannon....
« on: August 22, 2005, 02:44:12 PM »
I got this cannon quite some time ago hoping that some day I'd have the proper know how and tools to complete it but I have not been blessed with either. Got it from a fellow who made it from scratch and appears to be pretty complete with the exception of finishing the wheels.  He had apparently epoxyed the spokes (that's what I call them) to the hubs and wheels and for some reason removed them and I do have all the spokes.
This little gem is a .69 cal and appears to have been test fired.  Yes DD, I managed to remember to place an empty powder can next to the gun in one picture for scale.  My need for this advice is because I am going to take it to the Wannenmacher Tulsa Gun Show in Mid-October and I will be selling it in it's present condition (unfinished) and I'm merely searching for some decent realistic selling price to place on it.  I seriously doubt if I'll place it in the classified here on Graybeard so, this inquiry is just for some reasonable suggested asking prices, -- not selling it here on this particular board --  I don't want to get kicked off the board.
Any questions will be welcome and again, I'm merely fishing for advice.  Your help will be appreciated.  Will furnish only three pictures in this post so that I don't tie up too much computer time.  I'll post the remaining four pictures tomorrow.....Thanks, Blaster (Bob in So.CO)
[/img]
[/img]
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 12:50:46 AM »
About how much does it weigh?  (Thinking of shipping costs.)

The potential is there!   SO CLOSE too.  But the difference in value between now and finished depends so much on some of the detail work in finishing it!

I think we here recognize the value of the labor in what's gone into it so far.  

One method of establishing a value would be to look at finished products of similar style, quality and location - that would give you a starting point - from there it is salesmanship.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 03:15:24 AM »
CW, the shipping weight (if I were forced to ship it)wouldn't be very much  but I hope to make a face to face sale at the gun show.  The weight can't be more than eight to ten lbs.  Here are the final pictures and perhaps the first pictures were kinda deceiving, making it look larger than it really is - but that's why the powder can was shown for scale.  Blaster
[/img][/img]

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 03:34:48 AM »
Quote from: Cat Whisperer

One method of establishing a value would be to look at finished products of similar style, quality and location - that would give you a starting point - from there it is salesmanship.

Tim, that's the problem.  I have never seen one of this size that is a "from scratch built cannon" that has had a price on it.  So, I have about a month and a half till gun show time and hopefully SOMEONE out here will come up with some help.  I have no idea as to the number of hours spent on this cannon to be this close to completion.  Come on folks, lets have some opinions as to the worth or at least some approximate figure that I should be able to expect.  I did some swapping to get it and my actual cost can't even be determined since I can't recall what was traded.  It's tough getting old and not being able to recall what transpired years ago.....  :oops: Blaster

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 06:30:35 AM »
Is the brown finish rust?  Cleaning the rust off would enhance its saleability in my eyes.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 06:38:46 AM »
Quote from: GGaskill
Is the brown finish rust?  Cleaning the rust off would enhance its saleability in my eyes.

AND LOOSE THE PATENA??!!!
HORRORS!  

:-D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 11:31:54 AM »
Patina,  yeah that's what it is, patina.  Just a nice thin even coating!  This is a real 12 pounder (that is the cannon and carriage weight about 12 lbs.)  The bbl length is 14", total length of the piece is 28", width 15 1/2" and trunions about 7/8".  The next owner can spend some of their leisure time removing that "patina". Blaster

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 02:57:32 AM »
Blaster:

Your relic cannon model appears to be one of the old CVA Napoleon III Cannon Models CN801. It was available in kit or completed form.

I am supplying an image from an old 1976 CVA Muzleloading Catalog. If you compare the style and dimensions I think you will agree that yours this has to be one of their models.

The most distinctive feature of their model is the location and type of the elevating screw, which makes its contacts only under the cascabel. I cannot see the elevating screw and its location in your image

I have seen several of the models listed and sell on eBay over the last two years and they generally bring, when complete, between $250 and $450 depending on condition and market timing.

Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."