Author Topic: Suggested reading materials  (Read 538 times)

Offline BillinOregon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Suggested reading materials
« on: July 11, 2005, 04:59:28 AM »
I already have a copy of "The More Complete Cannoneer," but want to learn more about cannons. Thought I would order a copy of the South Bend catalog, which looks like it is loaded with information. After that, anyone have any favorites on cannon references? I like Harold Peterson's work, but perhaps y'all can recommend another read?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 06:50:20 AM »
Excellent question!

Much of my formal education was during 6 months at Ft. Sill.

As responses are posted, I'll build a bibleography under References Sticky.

I'll organize these into categories as interior/exterior ballistics; history of (time-to-time/war) and of particular models.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 08:01:08 AM »
Excellent reading and for reference here are some from my own library:

“Artillery and Ammunition of the Civil War”, by Warren Ripley, published by Promontory Press 1970.

“Field Artillery Weapons of the Civil War”, by James C. Hazlett, Edwin Olmstead, and M. Hume Parks, published by the University of Delaware Press, 1983 & 1988.

“The Big Guns”, Civil War Siege, Seacoast, and Naval Cannon, by Edwin Olmstead, Wayne E. Stark and Spencer C. Tucker. Published by Museum Restoration Service, 1997.

“The Lifesaving Guns of David Lyle”, by J.P. Barnett with a Preface by Harold L. Peterson.

ARTILLERY PROJECTILES:

“Field Artillery Projectiles of the American Civil War”, by Thomas S. Dickey and Peter c. George, Arsenal Press 1980.
Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline CAV Trooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 10:50:41 AM »
Here's three more that I can highly recommend:

"Round Shot and Rammers", An Introduction to Muzzle-loading Land Artillery in the United States, by Harold L. Peterson. Published by South Bend Replicas, Inc.
(Great for anybody wanting to build their own carriage. There are lot's of diagrams that can easily be scaled.)

"Artillery Through the Ages", by Albert Manucy. Published by Division of Publications, National Park Service, Dept. of the Interior.

"Cannons", An Introduction to Civil War Artillery, by Dean S. Thompson. Published by Thomas Publications, Gettysburg, PA.
“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 12:44:02 PM »
Thanks for the references.  They are posted alphabetically by title now with your comments.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)