Author Topic: Update/338 Win Mag/Leupold breakage  (Read 333 times)

Offline papabear

• Trade Count: (0)
Update/338 Win Mag/Leupold breakage
« on: July 16, 2005, 10:30:29 AM »
To "Redhawk 1" and "Dave in WV", and anyone else who cared about this topic.

I am starting a new topic on this deal, because it has been a while since I originally posted and did not know if you monitored the old posts.

As you recall, I decided the new Leupold VX III in 2.5-8 was to blame for poor groups, when I replaced it with a used Zeiss I had on hand and the rifle shot fine.  This was a Winchester Model 70 synthetic in 338 Win Mag.

Leupold rebuilt the erector system on the scope, and said the problem was repaired. It should be here in a couple days.   This all happened within a few shots, maybe 20 at the most, on this new scope. However, it took me several boxes to really figure out what the problem was.

The very small amount I tightened the front base screws after removing the Leupold was probably needed, but was evidently not the problem.

I guess every top brand can have a lemon.

I am still a Leupold fan.  I own another 2.5-8 x 36, plus a 4 x 33, and their excellent 12-40 spotting scope.  All my guides want to pack my spotter and leave theirs in camp.

I have not decided whether to put the Leupold back on this rifle, or just leave the Zeiss on and use the Leupold on something else.  I suppose I should check it out to be sure it is really fixed, but I am getting to the place where I need to get the load work done for my hunt instead of playing with scopes.  

Thanks for your input, and have a great day.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 10:44:12 AM »
That  Zeiss should be a great scope also. Save the Leupold for another project.  But you are correct that anything can happen, even to some of the top of the line scopes. What matters is the repair was made and I am sure Leupold will always stand behind there product.  :D  Glad you came back and let us know what was up.  8)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Rogue Ram

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 01:28:28 AM »
Blowing erectors out of Leupolds happens some times with big guns. Its a well known fact of life that some guns blow them up, some don't.  I had the erectors blown continously out of a 7.5 pound .340 Weatherby (prior to a brake being put on)......Leupold simply won't address the issue. As I've said before, I've got Leupys on lesser recoiling guns that work fine, but I've had 2 out of 4 that were lemons.  I have friends that work there, and live close the plant.  Leupold approached a rather well known military figure (more of a legend) to get him to endorse their sniper scopes, he refused until they fixed the adjustment issue with the erectors. You'll see some military/law enforcement guys "tap" the scope after adjustment, others (I can never recall which way is which) double the amount of adjusment needed then bring it back by half to ensure the scope tracks right.

Leupold's service is good in that they get your scope right back to you. If you have a kicker, you pay your money, you takes your chances.

RR