Author Topic: Gunstocks Inc.  (Read 885 times)

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
Gunstocks Inc.
« on: July 18, 2005, 12:56:27 PM »
How much finish and fit work is required on Gunstock Inc's stocks?  Sanding? trimming?

I'm looking to replace my factory wood with some more ergonomic pieces.  Just haven't decided on either high roll-over cheek or thumbhole in walnut.

Here's what I'm looking at getting.

Stock:
http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web%20pages/Plate%20Pic's/NEF%20stocks/nef%20rollover%20discrip.htm

or

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web%20pages/Plate%20Pic's/NEF%20stocks/nef%20Stinger%20descrip.htm

Forend:
http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web%20pages/Plate%20Pic's/NEF%20stocks/varmint%20forend%20descrip.htm

then I'm gonna option up the grip cap and forend tip in either sycamore or fiddle-back maple.  And of course let them fit a recoil pad.[/url]
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Wlscott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Gunstocks Inc.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 05:10:55 PM »
I probably put at least 20 hours total in the last Gunstocks Inc stock I did for my 204 Handi Rifle.  Then I decided to start over, and put another 15 hours in it.  Mine is a double palm swell target, walnut.  No raised cheek peices, and no thumb hole.  If you get that fancy, you're going to be putting that much more work into it.

It's worth it though.  Beautiful stock.

I'd show you some pictures of it, but Hunt 101 decided to EAT all of my pics.  As soon as I get more downloaded to this site, I'll post them for you.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
Gun Stocks Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 06:28:39 PM »
I've done one for my BC in the style you are looking at.  Their wood is good looking and gratifying to work with.  Wiscott's time estimate sounds about right though I actually have no idea at all of how much time I put in mine.  These are good folks to deal with and helped me a lot in getting started as this was essentially a new venture for me.  I got the limbsaver recoil pad on mine.  

I took pictures all along the way after every few coats of Tung Oil finisher compound, and after several coats of LInspeed.  Actually, after I steel-wooled the last one, I liked the "burnished" look and stopped there for a while.  I do need to get some updated pictures.  (get the "new baby" analogy here  lol).  There is a gunsmith locally that uses a polymer based wax for his final finisher and I'm considering eventually going back and maybe winding up with that.  
 :wink:
stuffit
Everybody changes their minds sometimes but a fool and a mule.

Deceased

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Gunstocks Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 06:38:17 PM »
Wes, Hunt101 is back online, they're supposed to be back 100% in a few more days, your pics should be available then...Supposedly they have new software and are much faster loading....time will tell...

Tim

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=728203#post728203
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Gunstocks Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 06:49:22 PM »
You can take as little or as much time as you want...mainly...you have to have the wood in your hands...and feel how it wants to be done..:)

The more you put into it...the better it turns out though...I would say...I have about a weeks worth of work in mine...but...it was a labor of luv... :oh:  :yeah: ...Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
Gunstocks Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 07:06:56 PM »
As Mac said, you can do as little as you want......which is exactly what I've done so far with mine......still waiting to get in the mood for that project, don't want to start it until I'm ready to finish it or it will be half done forever!!

Tim

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
Gunstocks Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 03:32:37 AM »
Make sure you use Tung Oil FINISH if that's the way you're going to go.  Not just Tung Oil, but Tung Oil FINISH.

And make sure you rub the TOF all the way back down to the wood when you're filling the pores.  When you put the Linseed oil on, it will cure to a hard finish if it's contacting the wood.  If you don't get the TOF rubbed down to the wood, the Linspeed won't set up correctly and stay tacky.  

Quick, I actually just got an email from Hunt 101 saying they're back up and running.  But, I just went and checked my gallery, and there's not a picture one in it  :x
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
Gunstocks Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 05:37:50 AM »
I got one too, after I posted here....this is the last line of the email....

The old pictures are almost achieved and will be viewable in a few days

Tim

Offline 6-24x42

Gunstocks Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 06:22:23 AM »
How much do those thumbhole stocks from gunstocks inc. run? :?
Hustle, Desire, Discipline :gun4:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
Gunstocks Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 06:35:45 AM »
The prices are on their web site....depending on options...

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web%20pages/Plate%20Pic's/NEF%20stocks/Handi-rifle%20stocks.htm

Tim

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
Gunstocks Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 10:33:04 AM »
oooo pretty, now i like the look of my Ultra's stock but i find prone/bench shooting a tad uncomfortable with it. Just the Butt would be nice but then the forend would clash.
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now