Author Topic: Using shot as a source of swaging lead?  (Read 976 times)

Offline John C

• Trade Count: (0)
Using shot as a source of swaging lead?
« on: July 25, 2005, 03:24:19 PM »
I read a post on another forum where a guy said that he makes Glaser Safety-Slug type projectiles by swaging lead shot into bullets.

Has anyone tried this?  I imagine that magnum lead shot would have a higher BHN than pure lead, so it might require a high hardness setup.

-John

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 07:09:50 AM »
John C,
  While I've never tried this process, I know it's a proven method to make bullets, especially pistol bullets, so that they come apart after striking something. They therefore won't go thru walls, or ricochet, or penetrate very far.  This could be important in defensive shooting. "Chilled Shot", or other hardened shotgun shot would most likely  require a press and dies stronger than a Corbin 'S' die set or "S press" as those systems aren't designed to swage lead alloy more than 7 or 8 BnH. Also, because most lead shot is covered with graphite dust to keep it from adhering to other pellets, you may want to wash and dry the shot before swaging in a press such as  RCE's Walnut Hill or Corbin's CSP-2... or larger. 8)

Offline John C

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 03:17:22 PM »
Talon;

Thanks for your reply.  So I guess I would take non-magnum shot and crunch it down in the core die?  And once the core was formed, then place in a jacket and finished up?  What mechanical method keeps the shot together?  

Could this type of bullet be made without a jacket?  (I wouldn't think so, since there's nothing holding the lead together, but....)

Thanks!

-John

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 03:52:58 PM »
No Jacket !!! That would defeat the purpose of them desegregating upon impact. When you bring 30,000psi into play in the LSWC or PF die, those little pure lead 4-6 shot scrunch up r-e-a-l tight, or so I've been lead to believe. They become one mass of entwined lead chunks, only breaking up after striking something with a lot of force. I believe they are safe in a wheel gun, but I have my doubts about automatics. Also, I'm not sure if they would take strong recoil without coming apart in some small way. The last thing you want is to have the cylinder jam because of those bbs coming apart. I'm sure either one of the Corbin Brothers could be a lot more to the point. 8)