Author Topic: Help me decide on a semi-auto please.  (Read 1065 times)

Offline wrightbrigade

• Trade Count: (0)
Help me decide on a semi-auto please.
« on: July 28, 2005, 02:50:20 PM »
I read and read and still didn't find the answers.  I know a pistol is different to everyone but still I'm on the verge of buying one and your opinions would help.  Here is the want list:

US made
Blue or Stainless, perfer Stainless
9mm or 40, perfer 40
I'm left handed so if you know of a certian model
high quality, reliability
Could carry it
Could shoot target/competition

I have come down to these, priced under 450

sig used not sure model (450)
glock used 22 (329)
Taurus 92 stainless (329)
Springfield XD40 (?)
S&W sve40  (?)

Thanks for your help!

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
Choice
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 03:23:57 PM »
You didn't mention a 1911 style pistol, so I assume you are not interested.  From your list, I'm partial to the XD pistols.  I took one through a school a few years ago and fired over 800 rounds without cleaning.  No jams.  It performed against every other kind of semi-auto you could imagine.  There was no gun there any better, including the vaunted Glockenspielers.  I think many of the guns you listed are also overpriced.  Considering what they are made of, there is no reason they can't put a gun in the field priced like a Springfield.  Reputation doesn't buy groceries.

Dan C

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 03:32:15 PM »
Welcome aboard. Lots of good info here.

Of the list above, the Springfield or the Glock. Most people consider the Glock ugly, but they shoot. My son in law is a training officer with the sheriff's dept. and he has been impressed with the XD's that show up at the range. I've had several Glocks and no problems with any of them. Get what fits you best.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 03:52:28 PM »
From your list: Sig, Springfield and then Glock… in that order.

Take Care,
Scott

Offline oso45-70

Handgun General Discussion
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 06:22:46 PM »
Wrightbrigade

From your list; Glock, sig and springfeild in that order. sorry scott you got it almost right...........Joe..........oh boy
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 01:54:36 AM »
Sig, Springfield, S&W sve40. In that order.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 02:47:06 AM »
If you're going to shoot target competition, the Sig is the obvious choice. If you want a good carry/IDPA gun then the Glock 19 comes to mind. If the XD comes in a size comparable to the 19, it would be a good choice as well. For mostly action pistol games, I'd lean toward the Glock 17, or the XD-9. Either one would work great.
Savage
By the way, there are only two pistols uglier than the Glock, the High Point and the XDs.
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 02:50:21 AM »
ol' joe... I happen to think "you almost got it right". I just don't like Glocks worth a whoot so maybe my bias shows a bit.

Take Care,
Scott

Offline oso45-70

Handgun General Discussion
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 05:13:51 AM »
Scott

I figured i'd get a rise out of you on that one and it worked. I was just like you for a long time. I handled glocks for a time and never got one back so i thought what the hay, I'll just try one my self and see whats so great about them. All the guys on the force has glocks- so me too i said.
Since trying one i have turned a blind eye to the Ugley and just learned to like them. whan it came time to qualify I aced it with an out of the box brand new Glock Md. 22  Had never fired one before, So my opinion of the glock has changed, Granted They Ain't a show stopper but they do perform. Please don't bar me from posting, Honestly I'm a pretty good guy.
Good luck............Joe............
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline wrightbrigade

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 11:45:06 AM »
Thanks for the information fellas.  I tend to get a feeling the Sig is a really good semi-auto.  And a Glock is not far behind in quality,  but way behind in looks.  Not much interest so far in the S&W 40s in that price range.  One vote for the Springfield,  I wonder why, they xd40 seems popular but I do think they are uglier than a high point.  :-)  I like to think that what it looks like don't matter,  but I'm sure I would feel otherwise down the road and wish I'd gotten a sweet looking sig. Just curious about the Taurus,  no one have much interest in them for some reason?  Thanks a bunch!

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 01:26:20 PM »
Joe,

I cannot say that I think you’re not a pretty good guy BUT now I do have reason to keep a close eye on you. As far as baring you from posting… well, that’s up to GB. I may have to have a chat with him.

Glocks following is strong enough that you’d think one would step aside his prejudice and just dive in. I almost bought one once because my x-local club had a competition only for Glocks but I moved before I got around to it. Maybe one of these days... If I did bite it would be a 357 or 40 cal I believe. When it comes to autos I hardly fool with anything other than 1911’s and Browning Hi-Powers with exception to a few plinkers.

Take Care and Be Safe,
Scott

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 01:36:01 PM »
Ruger............it's made in USA

Offline wrightbrigade

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005, 04:56:54 PM »
What about a baby eagle?  I did like the feel of the xd40 but... it might be too new yet for me.  I've decided against the Taurus and I can't afford a the 1911 I would want so.

Baby Eagle
Glock
Springfield XD
Smith Wesson 467

What do ya think?

Offline CraigJS

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 03:58:54 AM »
Lets see, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, which one? OOOps sorry wrong forum!! :)

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 04:19:48 AM »
glock.  

i have shot damn near every gun i can think of, with a sig being the only exception.  my personal preference is for 1911's.   when it comes to high capacity autos,  glock is THE gold standard.   my brother has a glock 20, and i will have one someday soon.    for high capacity and power, glock gets the nod.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2005, 04:34:39 AM »
If I were to buy another semi-auto right now from the list you provided I may have to opt for the Springfield XD40.  I am a south paw also and the SA comes with an ambidextrous mag release.  If you are used to hitting the mag release with your index finger or if you would like to hit it with your thumb the SA will accommodate.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2005, 09:35:59 AM »
:cb2: I was going to buy a 1911 back in '93, but I had never fired a .45 ACP. Went to my local range to rent one to see what it was like. The only guns they had to rent were Glocks. So I rented the .45 caliber G21. It was big and ugly and I could tell right off I didn't want one of those. Until if fired it. I couldn't believe how small a hole the first 5 rounds made. By the time I finished off that first 13 round magazine I had already decided to forget the 1911—I could get over the ugly. I've been carrying one now for 12 years.

50% fewer parts than the Sig. Less to go wrong. If you can find the FBI tests you'll see why they adopted the G23 and G22 for their agency. I also like the fact that it has no external safety. In the middle of the night you don't have to fumble with anything—just like a revolver, it's point and shoot. Plus, look at how the industry has copied what Gaston Glock has done. They have made different, but not better.

So in my very biased opinion, my ranking would be: Glock, Glock, Glock.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline catblaster.375

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2005, 03:35:23 PM »
Not one of your chioces but my vote goes for one of the P series Rugers. Strong reliable accurate easy to field strip blued or stianless. I put 250 rounds through my uncles P89 not one jam. Great gun. De-cocker is nice feature. Check them out

Offline wrightbrigade

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2005, 10:40:54 AM »
Okay fellas thanks for the help,  after much thought and advice I bought the glock 22c nib.  It came with two 15round clips for this .40 I thought that was great because I was going to buy them anyway.  It's light and points good.  IT is not pretty, just as I'd been warned but the compensator makes it look "neat".  It's dependability and price along with a solid reputation, not to mention cheap high cap mags made this an easy choice once I was edumacated.  It's got some kick to it,  a bit more than a 9mm I once owned.  I hit exactly where I aimed from 20 feet.  This is all I wanted or needed.  It's very simple to field strip and I was happy about that as it was not going to be a factor anyway.

No one said anything about the Taurus,  but after reading many reviews elsewhere I didn't want one.
The Springfield xd40 fit my hand well and I liked it,  I just don't think it's tried and true as a Glock but one day it just might, it resembles one enough.
The baby eagle also had a fair amount of bad reviews. So like the Taurus it was out.
The Smiths,  well although I did find some good stuff about the Sw99 and sve40, I found some negative as well,  but that left me at 50/50 and when I heard about the 9lb plus triggers well...
The Sig,  I almost got one and I'm sure I would not have been dissappointed.  But let me say they should put a better finish on a higher end gun like that.  Even high points have better finishes c'mon.  I would surely look past the finish though because they are highly regarded and rated.  For what I was looking for I just couldn't see spending $300 more than I did for my Glock.  I might not have the accuracy of one, but I'm sure it's close.
I had P series Rugers before and  I believe it was a p89 9mm,  it just didn't impress me with accuracy,  it did look and fit very nice, built very well.  They may have changed by now, don't know it's too late they let me down once.  
Thanks again

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2005, 08:16:31 PM »
:cb2: Ya did good.  :wink: Now the next question: Ya got any real guns . . . I mean wheelguns?  :eek: :)
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline wrightbrigade

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2005, 10:50:55 AM »
Griz you want to give me the low down on wheel guns I need one of those too.  I might sneak back and put one in layaway, boy the wife would be pissed if I did that after  buying one with cash.  I bought a rife in the spring and now a semi, fall would make for a wheel gun.   :D

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2005, 12:21:24 PM »
Wheel guns? Sure Ruger GP 100 SS .357 magnum 4 or 6 inch, Will handle any sane load and maybe some insane ones. IMHO its the M1 Abrams of revolvers. There are prettier and slicker but none tougher. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2005, 02:31:14 PM »
:cb2: OK, ya got an excellent carry gun. Now if ya want a real fun wheel gun, go with a single action.

A Ruger Blackhawk Convertible is neat, because it comes with two cylinders. One for .38/.357 and the other shoots 9mm. I buy the Wolf 9mm stuff a case at a time, and it's the cheapest way to go. The .38s are great, and .357s are the best by far. If you don't reload the .38/.357 is the way to go.

A Bisley model (my favorite) will have a longer grip that will accommodate all three fingers, and is easier to shoot if you are use to having all fingers wrapping around something.

If you do reload, then the .44 is the way to go. 44 Specials for easy going shooting, and .44 mag for the really big rock 'em sock 'em fun. (I don't reload yet, and the .44 mag is still my favorite shooter.

The Bisley with adjustable sights will have a 7.5" barrel. Great gun—very accurate. You can get a Vaquero with fixed sights with a shorter barrel. The new Vaqueros now have a slightly smaller frame and grip, and really balance nice.

One of the best things about SA revolvers is that they are so easy to clean. Just remove the base pin, the cylinder pops out in your hand, and your gun is disassembled. Takes about 5 seconds if you're slow. Putting it back after you've cleaned everything doesn't take much longer. They are stronger than double action revolvers, and they're cheaper. And that helps make them a FUN GUN.

Ok, I'll quit now and let some of my double action friends have a chance at you.

Again, good going with the Glock. Great gun—great caliber. I pray you never have to use it in self-defense.
Griz
<*}}}><

Offline wrightbrigade

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2005, 03:25:09 PM »
Thanks Griz, that's great info.  I got some study time coming now!  I like those suggestons.  I'd never considered SA, but hmmm....

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2005, 04:12:34 PM »
:cb2: I went in to buy a .22 revolver. Had one in mind, and at the last minute bought a .22 Ruger Bisley instead. I have no idea why I did it. However, I got bit by the SA bug and never looked back.
Griz
<*}}}><

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2005, 12:10:08 PM »
I think you may be right on there Griz. I really like my GP but that Pair of Vaquerros I have are really fun too shoot... .357s of course. :D
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired