Author Topic: I did it again..  (Read 742 times)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
I did it again..
« on: July 16, 2005, 08:48:46 AM »
Well...I've been wanting to get a new slug gun for several months now...and have been kicking around the idea of sending in my nickled receiver from my TDC I have left over to have one of the 20ga. USH barrels fitted...but....having had to use a slug gun for deer hunting for most of my life..till I got married and moved over to Missouri from Illinois 3 years ago..I couldn't bring myself to go the 20 gauge route.I know...I know...with the new slugs out the 20 will work fine...but...old habits are hard to loose...so...I went over to Walmart this afternoon...and ordered a 12ga Ultra Slug Hunter...just so I can have one when the opportunity to hunt in a shotgun only state comes up....I had one back in the early (ooops 90's) and had great luck with it...it was heavy...but...it was the most accurate slug gun I have ever shot...I really don't like dealing with Wally World for guns...and normally would have utilized one of the local shops..but the cheapest I could have gotten one is $55 more than what I paid...before taxes and I would still have had to order it.....so...I stood proudly in the Lay-a-Way line with all the other folks picking up the latest Spiderman peraphanilia and kitchen ware..till it was my turn...and the gal from the SG dept. stayed right there and walked the lay-a-way gal thru the special ordering process...it wasn't to bad... 3-5 days till I have it...and Sport South has them in stock( Thanks Quick :D )...Now I just have to find a nice home for my TDC receiver...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
I did it again..
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 09:59:34 AM »
Congrats on the new gun Mac. I'm sure we'll get a full report on it when you get it.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
I did it again..
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 10:04:29 AM »
Ohh...you betcha...I'm going to try to get some of the SST's  from Hornady to review and will be shooting some of the Winchesters partitions and some of the Remingtons as well...

Mac

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: I did it again..
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 10:49:24 AM »
Quote from: Mac11700
Now I just have to find a nice home for my TDC receiver...

Mac

I know of a place! :wink:  You wouldn't have been disappointed with the 20 either, trust me. Do you know if they have the SST out in 20ga this year or not? I really like the Remington Ultra Core-Lokt and the Winchester Partition Golds. Hoping the SST's will be out in 20ga this year.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
I did it again..
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 11:03:01 AM »
Don't forget the Federals with the Barners expanders in them. Terrific on game performance the last 5 deer I've taken have been with them and every one just fell over dead.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
I did it again..
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 12:37:33 PM »
I won't...I'll have to check around some though...haven't seen a-lot of them on the shelves...

Mac

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
I did it again..
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 07:06:04 AM »
You're going to love that gun...It's a beast but man is it fun to shoot and it is deadly on deer.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline kenbev

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
USH
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 12:22:37 PM »
Hey Mac;
Good luck with the 12 gauge. I have both the 12 and the 20 but we can rifle hunt here. I will just keep them around to play with...

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
I did it again..
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 06:38:07 PM »
Same here...but I do plan on hunting some in some shotgun only hunting areas soon...so...I thought I would go ahead and get it all set up... :wink:

Mac

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
I did it again..
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 03:22:33 AM »
There is a chance that we will be able to hunt with rifles in some areas that I hunt this season.  It all depends on whether or not Gov Pataki signs the legislation allowing this.  I won't be mothballing my Ultra Slugger yet though because I hunt in many areas that are not included in that legislation...Good thing too...I'd hate to neglect my Ultra Slugger...Maybe I won't even purchase a rifle and just hunt with the slugger in the rifle zone.  But...If I do decide to purchase a rifle it will be an H&R of course.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline kenbev

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
USH
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 11:35:23 AM »
My 20 is set and ready to go to the woods. I just put the scope and rings on the 12 and need to get it lined up...

Offline BoneDigger

• Trade Count: (0)
Got one...
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 05:54:09 PM »
I have the 12 gauge ultra slugger and I love it.  If I had my choice I probably would have gotten the 20 gauge, but then I got this gun used and it already had a Mueller scope on it.  It is a BEAR but it shoots great.  I just hate the idea of lugging this big thing around the woods.  Oh well, it'll be fun none-the-less.

Have fun with the new gun and keep us posted.

Todd

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
I did it again..
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 06:37:41 PM »
I don't know if you guys use these are not...but ...I have always used the Ultra Super Slings...Walmart carries them...and they run around $21.00...they are real wide...almost 3"...with a micro suede liner on it...and very very soft...they are about 1/2" thick.....they spread the load out real nice...and it doesn't dig in or slide around on your shoulder...and from carrying  my scoped bull barrels in my Handi's..I learned  some time ago what it takes to keep these rifles in place...lugging alot around with you...I always carry it diagonally across my back when hiking thru heavy cover and up and down steep ravines and hills...I usually walk anywhere from 1 to 3 miles back into my areas...carrying a backpack weighing around 30-40 lbs loaded with gear...add to that the rifle...and it makes for a nice load...last thing I want is a sling that doesn't work right or becomes a pain... :) ..so...I just thought I would pass that along...

Mac

Offline Critter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
I did it again..
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 09:02:57 AM »
Give the Winchester Platinum Tips a try as well.  I tried those last year and I won't trade back.  I shot a 3 1/2 year old buck at 40 yards and was extremely impressed with the terminal ballistics.  He dropped in his tracks, the slug broke two ribs going in, liquified everything in the chest cavity, and broke three ribs exiting.  I'm sold.