Author Topic: scope mounting  (Read 401 times)

Offline two slow

• Trade Count: (0)
scope mounting
« on: July 29, 2005, 12:30:50 AM »
When I put one on it looks ok to me, but I show it to my buddy and he always says its a little cocked to one side or another.
Is there an easy way to make sure the cross hairs are straight?
What is the sense in preserving collectible items just so they can be auctioned off by uncaring heirs for their pecuniary value ? I am inclined to believe that vintage cars are to be driven, old wine is to be drank, and fine guns are to be shot.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
scope mounting
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 02:18:07 AM »
There are scope levelers out there that can help you line up your scope. But I have found also that people hold the guns a little different and can canter the scope a little. If it looks good to you, go sight it in and if it works for you, the that is all that is needed. JMHO.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Dave in WV

scope mounting
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 04:52:09 AM »
It's not exact but if you hold the rifle so you can see the butt and look thought the scope you can see if it's off. If it's off very little you may not be able to tell.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
scope mounting
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 05:26:05 AM »
Place the rifle in a vise if you can, I use a Lohman SightVise, make sure the rifle looks perfectly aligned vertically, not canted to one side. Hang a heavy string 10-25yds away with a weight on the end so it works as a plumbob, align the vertical X-hair with the string and tighten the ring caps being careful to not allow the scope to rotate in the rings which some rings are worse for than others, Weaver rings in particular.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline two slow

scope mounting
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 12:17:15 PM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
Place the rifle in a vise if you can, I use a Lohman SightVise, make sure the rifle looks perfectly aligned vertically, not canted to one side. Hang a heavy string 10-25yds away with a weight on the end so it works as a plumbob, align the vertical X-hair with the string and tighten the ring caps being careful to not allow the scope to rotate in the rings which some rings are worse for than others, Weaver rings in particular.

Tim
great idea. I might even get something setup to bore sight them at the same time.
What is the sense in preserving collectible items just so they can be auctioned off by uncaring heirs for their pecuniary value ? I am inclined to believe that vintage cars are to be driven, old wine is to be drank, and fine guns are to be shot.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
scope mounting
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 01:42:26 PM »
That's perzactly what I do!!! I use a laser bore sighter that I got from Cabelas, get the scope aligned properly, then turn on the laser light and adjust the scope, works fantastic!! :agree: :agree: :agree:

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain