Author Topic: gun range spotting scope?  (Read 1678 times)

Offline lubbockdave

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
gun range spotting scope?
« on: July 30, 2005, 11:37:17 AM »
what spotting scope do you use at the gun range that allows you to see point of impact at 100 yards--even little 22lr holes? I'd like to keep the costs cheap...no more than $100, but cheaper would be better

Dave

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 12:30:26 PM »
Dave,

Go with at least a 60X over a 45X. You will me amazed at how well .22 caliber holes show up at 200 yards with a 60X over a 45X.  I bought a brand new Simmons Wilderness in 25 - 75X 90mm on Ebay that is as clear and sharp as you could ask for no matter what power you have it set on.  Paid $134.52 including shipping.  For your budget I would check out Ebay and see what is available.  Lawdog
 :D

P.S. - I have never used one but you might check out the spotting scopes offered by BSA.
Go to http://www.bsaoptics.com/productlist.asp?ID=8&Cat_Name=spottingscopes.gif&Cat_Code=SS to see their line.  I have had excellent results with their rifle scopes.  LD
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline lubbockdave

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 04:36:02 PM »
so a 20-60x60 should be about right??

Offline Reloader

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 05:48:54 PM »
I've got a 15-45x spotting scope and the other day I couldn't make out a .17 hole in the black at 100 yards.  Granted the light wasn't the best, and the eyes aren't good,  but if you can swing it, you might be better off with the 60 power.
If I can make it go bang it can't be that hard to do.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 06:18:38 AM »
Once again I find myself in total disagreement with Lawdog.  :eek:  So what's new about that?  :)

More magnification is definitely NOT the answer in my experience. In fact it usually makes matters worse in cheap scopes. You're better off with 20X than 45X and better off with 45X than 60X. Size of objective lens has a bearing here as does quality of optics of course. The larger the objective and higher quality the optics the more magnification you can use.

In low light the higher magnifications tend to make the view so dim it is not clear enough to be useable on cheaper scopes. In bright light it is often too hot and mirage steps in making all over about 20X nearly unuseable again.

I've owned and looked thru the scopes of others a great many cheap spotting scopes. Without exception a 9X riflescope did about as well. If you have a decent 4-12 or 4-16 scope you're better off than with a cheap spotting scope. In fact long years ago we mounted a Tasco 3-9 World Class on a small tripod and used it quite successfully to 100 yards when even a B&L spotter that was a low price one didn't do as well.

I now use a Bushnell Elite 20-60x80MM spotting scope. It is without a doubt the brightest, clearest and highest quality scope I've ever looked thru. But even with it 60X is only marginally useful for the reasons mentioned about. At 60X the exit pupil is only 1.3mm, pretty darn small for low light use even with outstanding optics this scope has. When the temp goes above 80 degrees then mirage takes over and makes 60X totally useless.

I most often set it to 20X to 25X and at those settings can see .17 caliber holes at 100 yards with ease. At 200 yards .22 caliber holes can easily be seen.

I just refuse to recommend ANY cheap spotting scope. You're better off spending the money on a decent rifle scope with a top end of at least 12X to 16X with an AO feature and using it mounted on a small tripod.

People who think their cheap spotting scopes are working just have never looked thru a truly good one.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 08:00:57 AM »
I would not consider a spotting scope for $100.00. You get what you pay for. I understand people are on budgets, but I would save up and get something worth while. I went the cheap route a long time ago, then I spent the money and got one that works like I wanted it to.  I have a lot of frustrating days at the range with my cheap spotting scope, I did more walking than spotting. No more of them days for me.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 08:52:06 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
Once again I find myself in total disagreement with Lawdog.  :eek:  So what's new about that?  :)

SOP Graybeard.  :-D  :-D  :-D

I have another spotting scope, a Zeiss Diascope 2-60 85mm, that I use but I didn’t believe that "lubbockdave" wanted to wait around until he saved up the cost for a high dollar spotting scope.  What are shooters that just can’t save up the money for Bushnell, Leupold, Zeiss, etc. or whatever supposed to do?   :?: I would rather see them purchase what they can afford now and be out shooting than waiting until they can afford high dollar equipment.   :money:   I try to match my recommendations to the stated budget by the poster.  If "lubbockdave" had stated his budget was $500.00 or more you wouldn’t have seen me telling him about Simmons or to look on Ebay.  Lawdog
 :D

P.S. - By the way I have had a number of people look thru both my Simmons and my Zeiss and the sight picture was just as clear, sharp and bright on the Simmons as on the Zeiss.  LD
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline t3shooter

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 09:43:03 AM »
I have an OK spotting scope I got as a gift.  It's a Vanguard with 20X magnification.  Even so, I can make out holes from a 22 at 200yds.  I'm sure that a bit more power would make it easier, but 20X is adequate, if that's the best you can get, and definitely good enough if your range is not so long (200yds is the farthest I can find near where I live)

Offline lubbockdave

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 12:10:38 PM »
Ok, I hear what y'all are saying but I have owned a 20X Burris spotter and could not see 270 holes in paper at 100 yards in the black. I now have a 4-12 AO Bushnell 3200 on the same 270 and still have trouble seeing holes in the black on the 270. So, is it just my eyes or what?

I do have a 3200 5-15 ao on a  25 06 and can see point of impact easily at 100 yards with it. go figure...

Also, I'd love to have the $$ saved for a "nice" scope, but someone also mentioned that I could be out at the range with my cheaper scope shooting or at home saving up---I'd rather do both! I can shoot with the cheapo now and in a year or so I can get the better scope. With two little girls in the house, both under 2 years old money is a little tight (so mama says)

Dave

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005, 12:22:06 PM »
It could be your eyes or how you have the optics focused.. I have a Tasco Worldclass 25x spotting scope and it works great. A fixed power seems to work better in my observations than the variables in cheap spotting scopes..
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline jgalar

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005, 04:18:27 PM »
I have a Swift model 700T 12-36x50mm that I can easily see 22 caliber holes at 100 yards. I don't remember how much or where I bought it, but it was around $140 from a large camera supply place online.

Offline arky65

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2005, 05:23:30 PM »
lubbock, i used to have a problem seeing holes in black tragets too. i do not use black targets anymore. make my own with graph paper. can't help with the spotting scope  my bench rifles  scopes' range from 12X up to 24X, so i see the holes ok out to 300yds, after that distance i jut drive down range. i shot on a private range, so i can jump on the 3 wheeler and ride to the target.

Offline warf73

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 10:33:00 PM »
This is the target I use. 1" squares makes it easy to ajust the scope if need and impacts can be easly seen threw the scope at 100 yard. I can see my .204 holes at 100yards at 10X threw my scope.

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
a jar of jalapenos.  What you do today, might burn
your ass tomorrow."