Author Topic: Insulation properties - Hunting clothes  (Read 19930 times)

Offline 379 Peterbilt

• Trade Count: (1)
Insulation properties - Hunting clothes
« on: December 13, 2005, 10:13:04 PM »
Thinsulate®  is a 100% polyester solid fiber design that produces a durable, cost-effective insulation. It is bulkier (high loft) than some of the more recent products.
 Hollofil® 808 uses a 100% polyester fiber with a single-hole chamber in the fiber core.  This internal air space traps more air than solid-core fibers for added comfort and warmth at equal weight.
Hollofil®  II uses a 100% polyester fiber with a 4-hole internal air space (high loft)for consistent warmth and wash durability.
Quallofil®  uses 100% polyester fiber with a 7-hole (high loft)air space for more warmth and loft. This provides a soft, durable and quick drying insulation product that is compactible.
Thermolite®  uses a patented blend of fine-denier fibers and binder fibers for durability (thin fill) for lightweight warmth at minimal thickness. It is designed to be solfter and more durable than other thin insulations.
Thermoloft®  uses fibers with a 7-hole design combined with fine-denier fibers and binder fibers for durability in a mid-loft design. This produces warmth without excessive bulk. The product will retain its loft and warmth through repeated washings.
Micro-loft®  is a micro-fiber insulation made with fibers finer than silk. This produces a down-like insulation that is very warm, lightweight, soft, supple and easy to compact.

Offline EsoxLucius

• A Real Regular
Insulation properties - Hunting clothes
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 08:57:14 AM »
WOOL Wool is the original, easy care fiber. Each wool fiber is made up of millions of "coiled springs" that stretch during use but coil back to their original positions. It features inherent qualities such as wrinkle resistance, colorfastness, shape recovery (resiliency), and it breathes with your body. It can be knit in various weights to provide increasing levels of insulation for every temperature. Wool yarn, when knitted into a thicker sock, tends to be bulky and lofty. Air becomes entrapped and it becomes an ideal insulator. Wool socks also keep feet drier because wool absorbs as much as 30% of its own weight before it begins to feel damp. And even wet wool is warm.  Wool is a natural protein fiber that grows from the follicles of the sheep’s skin. It is like human hair in that it is composed of keratin-type protein. Chemically these proteins contain 5 elements: carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, and sulfur. These 5 elements are combined into 19 amino acids linked together in ladder-like polypeptide chains.

BENEFITS
• Resists wrinkles, wool springs back quickly
• Resists soiling, because the fiber is complex
• Is durable, multi-part fiber resists wear
• Repels moisture, fiber sheds water
• Retains shape, resilient fibers return to size
• Resists flames, fibers will not support combustion
• Is comfortable in all seasons, keeps layer of air next to skin
• Insulates very well, even if wet

DURABILITY AND RESILIENCE: Each wool fiber is a molecular coil-spring making the fiber remarkably elastic. Nature has folded the chemical polypeptide chains back upon themselves in such a way that they act like a coiled spring which elongates when it is extended and retracts when it is released. This molecular crimp, along with the 3-dimensional fiber, allows wool fibers to be stretched up to 50% when wet and 30% when dry, and still bounce back to their original shape when stress is released. But be careful: When wool is wet the fibers are weaker. Recovery from stress takes place faster when the fiber is in a humid environment; that’s why steaming a wool garment will freshen the fabric and why a steam iron is recommended for pressing wool.

The flexibility of the wool fiber also makes it more durable. A wool fiber can be bent back on itself more than 20,000 times without breaking, compared to about 3,000 times for cotton and 2,000 times for silk. The natural elasticity of wool also makes woolen fabrics resistant to tearing. In addition, the outer skin of the wool fiber acts as a protective film, giving wool cloth improved resistance to abrasion.

FIBER ABSORBENCY: Wool is a hygroscopic fiber, it takes up moisture in vapor form. Tiny pores in the epicuticle make the fiber semi-permeable, allowing vapor to pass through to the heart of the fiber. Wool can easily absorb up to 30% of its weight in moisture without feeling damp or clammy.

The capacity to absorb makes wool a "temperature regulator" because it can protect the body in both cold and warm conditions. Wool always absorbs moisture from the atmosphere of greater humidity and releases it to the drier environment as it creates a balance in moisture conditions. This characteristic makes wool a versatile all-season fabric.

Wool absorbs perspiration; thus it keeps a layer of dry air next to the skin which, in turn, helps to hold in body heat. As wool absorbs atmospheric moisture, the hydrogen bond of water is broken and chemically reacts with molecules of the wool to generate heat.

Wool garments are therefore regarded as good protection against hypothermia…a condition that occurs when sudden drastic lowering of body temperature causes the body to lose heat faster than it can be produced.

The same principle of moisture contact on the skin acts to protect against hot weather as well. The body cools itself naturally with the evaporation of perspiration. Wool expedites this process by absorbing perspiration and keeping the same dry air next to the skin. This is why wool clothing is worn throughout the desert regions of the world where it’s hot during the day and cool at night.

RESISTANCE TO FLAME: Because wool contains moisture in each fiber, it resists flame without chemical treatment. Instead of burning freely when touched by flame, wool chars and stops burning when it is removed from the source of fire. Wool is self-extinguishing. It will not support combustion; this is why wool blankets are recommended for use in extinguishing small fires.

RESISTANCE TO COMPRESSION: Resistance-to-compression values are useful in assessing the suitability of wool for specific end uses. Resistance to compression (R to C) is the force per unit area required to compress a fixed mass of wool to a fixed volume. Resistance to compression is related to fiber diameter and the form and frequency of crimp.

For instance, low and medium R to C wools tend to be softer, more lustrous, more susceptible to felting, easier to process and produce strong fabrics. On the other hand, high R to C wools have a harsher handle, are resistant to felting and are bulkier.

Two resistance-to-compression studies conducted by Texas A&M University prove American wool is well-suited to produce the finest of fabrics as well as wool batting for the production of futons and other bedding materials. These studies confirmed that there is a good variety of wools available in the U.S. with low, medium, and high resistance to compression. The majority of the wool finer than 28 micron in this test was analyzed as being in the middle resistance-to-compression range (53%). On the other hand, some 73 percent of the wool coarser than 28 micron was evaluated to be highly resistant to compression.

MERINO WOOL is the finest wool of all. It's average diameter is 15 - 25 microns and staple lengths are 2 - 4 inches. Merino has a very close crimp, and can be spun into a very fine yarn, suitable for underwear, light sweaters and shirts.

100% VIRGIN WOOL has thick sturdy fibers for rugged durability and warmth. It is proven to provide greater resilience, more natural insulating qualities and superior water repellency than other natural fabrics and many synthetic fabrics.

DOWN The combination of lightweight, high heat-insulating characteristics, small transportation volume, and long service life makes goose down superior to synthetic insulators. These properties of down can be explained by the structure of down. Down consists of a thin column and a large fan of almost indistinguishable from the column tuft. Thin and flexible tuft forms chaotic elastic accumulation - down clusters.

The quality of down is measured by the quality of primary products. Special breeds of geese with white coat such as Italian, Rhone, Lind, Vishtines, North German, Hungarian (Magyar) are considered the best to gather down of. The quality of feather is greatly influenced by the natural conditions of breeding of the birds. In the cold climate down clusters are bigger. That is why raw materials gathered in the cold Russia are greatly appreciated around the World.

The best raw material is the down which was hand picked from live adult birds, as there is no practically any nap, which says on the elastic qualities of down. Only the best down products uses down of such raw materials for manufacturing down jackets and clothing for custom orders. However such raw materials are rare and expensive. It is much more real to find raw materials by machine pluck.

At competent usage goose down products can serve for 20 years, duck down products - for 5 years. As with goose down, pure eiderdown for is exceptional for clothing. Not more than 30 grams of eiderdown can be gathered from one nest. This explains why eiderdown exists in very limited quantity and is extremely expensive. The eiderdown is light, does not absorb moisture, does not crumple and according to shamans it heals.

After the raw material is gathered it needs to be washed. It is necessary to separate down from feather and make a necessary mixture. Full technological process consists of 19 operations and is possible only at large plants with special equipment. Some manufacturers process raw materials to produce 4 kinds of mixtures with different down/feather ratio: 80%, 85%, 90% and 93%. Then the down is washed with special soaps such as liquid soap "Down Proof" or "Down Wash" by Nikwax. The Nikwax products contain special additives that improve the flexible characteristics of down and give to it additional water repellent features.

The flexibility of down is the key characteristic for evaluation of down quality. The method for measuring this characteristic is: take one ounce of down, then clip it, then take pressure away and gage the volume in cubic inches in 5 minutes. The resulting parameter is called - "Fill Power" (F.P).

If you can keep it dry it will keep you warmer than anything else.
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Insulation properties - Hunting clothes
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 05:52:14 PM »
If I need a pair of boots with 600 grain Thinsulate to stay warm while deer hunting, how much would I need of all the others you mention?
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline jpsmith1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 02:31:56 AM »
Esox is right.  There is no beating the natural fibers for insulation.  Down and wool are the warmest clothing and, often, cheaper than some of the alternatives.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 04:59:14 AM »
I've got a sleeping bag and some cloths with the synthetic fibers, but when I know its going to be really cold, I always turn to wool and down.  Thinsulate boots are a lot warmer when you are wearing wool socks.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 09:52:06 AM »
Doesn't anyone here know about the conversion to other fibers???
AF&AM #294

Offline EsoxLucius

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 10:30:57 AM »
Doesn't anyone here know about the conversion to other fibers???
What's the formula?

Generally, Thinsulate is what they use for footwear.  The others listed are more suited to garments and sleeping bags.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 11:03:26 AM »
EsoxLucius, That doesn't really address my question?
AF&AM #294

Offline 379 Peterbilt

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 12:41:41 PM »
Are you asking how much thinsulate equates to X amount of wool? Is that the question?

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 03:36:57 PM »
If I need a pair of boots with 600 grain Thinsulate to stay warm while deer hunting, how much would I need of all the others you mention?
AF&AM #294

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 04:19:41 AM »
I think most of the synthetics, other than thinsulate, require loft (dead air space) to work.  So therefore aren't used in boots, where the material is compressed by your foot.  I don't know of any conversion charts for the materials use in clothing but you might check the DuPont web sight, they make most of the synthetic fibres on the market.

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 12:09:36 PM »
I grew up and hunted in NW PA until I moved to Alaska in 1969.  Woolrich wool hunting clothing and rubber boots were the norm and standard warm clothing for hunts.  People wore down only as an undergarment in a vest.  Outdoor clothing has come a long way since then.  I now live in a remote area of Prince William Sound in Alaska.  The climate is typical temperate rain forest with the ocean keeping humidity high, as if it needed more.  I've used wool here for hunting, but no more.  After buying a cheap (relatively speaking) synthetic fleece pull over hooded jacket, fleece bibs with boot zips, (Jacket and Bibs are Thinsulate-Dry Plus lined,) Polar Tech 2 piece union suit, and a pair of 400 gram Gore Tex Rocky leather 8" boots, I will never intentionally wear wool again on a hunt.  I've been completely submerged in 34* water, surfaced to land at 16* air temp with a 35 mph wind and was chilly for only the first 15 min. The wicking action of the clothing and non saturation material drained the moisture to my cuffs with dampness about 1 1/2 " from the edges.  Inside and out.  The wind could not affect my body due the Dry Plus lining, so there was no wind chill.  Thinsulate, while not as good an insulation as wool when dry, is a much better insulation than wool when wet.  And wet it weighs less than 1/3 of wool in the same cut of garment.   This is important when you just fell off a steep bank into 30' deep cold water.  And you are miles from any assistance whatsoever.  I only wish that I had bought clothing of this type 15 years before I actually did.  Down clothing is the best where there is little or no humidity and it is permitted to loft.  If any moisture is encountered, down is terrible for clothing.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline 379 Peterbilt

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 04:00:35 PM »
deltecs ,

Great post. Lots to be learned from what you said there. If it works for you fine Alaskans, it sure as heck should work for the rest of us 48'ers

Offline EsoxLucius

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 09:08:23 AM »
EsoxLucius, That doesn't really address my question?
Yeah it does as it is a moot point.  There are low-loft fills and high-loft fills.  You will not find boots that use the other high-loft fill materials.  Thinsulate, Thinsulate Ultra and Thermolite are about it.  Other than in overboots, such as Icebreaker's Boot Blankets, I have never seen boots insulated with Hollofil 808, Hollofil II, Quallofil, Thermoloft, Microloft or Primaloft.  These are only used for garments and sleeping bags because they need loft to work well.  Thinsulate and Thermolite insulate when compressed.  Thinsulate and Thermolite are used in insulated hunting boots.  Dupont introduced Thermolite to compete with 3M's Thinsulate.  For all intents and purposes they are equivalent in insulation quality.

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 10:11:24 AM »
deltecs ,

Great post. Lots to be learned from what you said there. If it works for you fine Alaskans, it sure as heck should work for the rest of us 48'ers

Actually, Alaska has 5 different climates so what works for me in Prince William Sound is not necessarily what works best elsewhere.  Thinsulate with a lining of Gore Tex or equivalent with the proper undergarments (no cotton) will keep a person comfortable in most weather conditions encountered east of the Mississippi River.  A combination of synthetics and/or down in the coldest and driest areas of the Midwest during the extreme cold part of winter with a wind breaker overall, would suffice for most hunting conditions.  In the Rockies and Pacific northwest, it will be all synthetics for me.  I've not hunted the deserts yet so have no recommendation.  The Interior of Alaska is similar to Northern Midwest coldest so the appropriate clothing would apply there too.  The synthetics hunting gear that I use will do for about 1/2 of Alaska's hunting areas.  For the rest of Alaska's hunting areas I'd use a combination of synthetics and possibly some down.  Wool does work for socks though.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.