Author Topic: A Delicate Topic  (Read 867 times)

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
A Delicate Topic
« on: September 19, 2005, 04:32:49 PM »
For those who carry on a regular basis I have a question.  How do you handle it when you have to go to the toilet?  I suppose it depends on how you are carrying. but any holsters on the belt must be handled so they don't drop down on the floor.  Do you remove the gun before you undo your belt?  What do you do with it?

I read in one of the gun magazines a few years ago about a police detective who had occasion to pull his 1911 on a suspect.  He must have for got to re-engage the thumb safety when he holstered.  When he went to the john it was his habit to hang the gun from the hook on the stall door.  When he went to remove it he hit the trigger against the hook and the gun discharged :shock: and as it recoiled it kept hitting the trigger and the gun kept firing until the magazine ran empty :shock:  :shock:   I can imagine he had a lot of paper work to do after that.......both then and later. :wink:

Anyway please enlighten me how you handle it.:grin:
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
A Delicate Topic
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 06:27:34 PM »
I use the toilet at home, I don't use the toilet when I go out. But if I had to I would remove the gun and set it in my lap and then re-holster it when I finished.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline williamlayton

A Delicate Topic
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 12:33:05 AM »
Very carefully!
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
A Delicate Topic
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 03:36:24 AM »
I sometimes wear on the holstered IWB or OWB but for the most part have worn Under Cover Comfort Concealment Holster which gives you 4 differant holster pouches to use, 2 right and 2 left plus extra mag pouches etc.

I've worked cases in under cover status.  Your with the suspect most of the time, and breaking away to the john, sometimes your followed even into a john at a restuarant.  The sight of a holster from under the stall doors, could cause them to unload lead your way. NOT GOOD

There are those that don't like these shirts, but when you wear these, you don't have to worry about the what if situation, when that untimely urge hits ya.

Offline Lawdog

A Delicate Topic
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 11:39:24 AM »
Quote from: Redhawk1
I use the toilet at home, I don't use the toilet when I go out. But if I had to I would remove the gun and set it in my lap and then re-holster it when I finished.

I do about the same.  Had a couple of "nuts" try to roll me in the bathroom of the Greyhound Bus depot in San Francisco.  The look on their faces was priceless when they opened the toilet door and found the business end of a S&W M29 looking back at them.   :-D  :-D   I couldn't help it I started laughing and they took off running.  Unable to chase them due to pants location.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline rockbilly

A Delicate Topic
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 12:15:10 PM »
:D Lots of folks are robbed in public toilets.  If I have to go, I cradle the gun in the crotch of my pants as they are down.  It is out of sight, and easy to get to.  As I am getting my pants back up, I stick it in the left armpit and clamp down.  

I haven't looked in a while, but a friend, and Lt. on LAPD has a web site on travel and using public facilities.  He started teaching business folks how to safely travel while recovering from an on duty gun shot wound.  He has some real eye opening information on staying in hotel/motels, airline travel, and using public toilets, for instance, hanging your jacket on the hook provided on most doors, the crook reaches over, lifts the jacket and leaves you setting there with your pants down.  Its worth the time to type in "KEVIN COFFEE" in your search engine and read some of the things he has on the web.  Might make you change your ways the next time you go out............ :roll:

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
A Delicate Topic
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 04:42:56 PM »
Quote from: Redhawk1

Gee either you must not go far from home or wear Depends  :wink:

Heck when you got to go you got to go.  I was mostly thinking about at work. where I am for 8 hours and might have to use the facility a couple of times.
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline redial

• Contributor
A Delicate Topic
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 05:41:03 AM »
Having it resting in your drawers between your knees always seemed best to me. No tell-tale clanking against tile or porcelain, it's out of sight but accessible AND you cannot leave it behind!

My Lieutenant was famous for leaving his gatt on the back of the toilet in convenience stores... and locking his keys in his cruiser, like Lt's everywhere I guess

:)

Redial

Offline jhm

A Delicate Topic
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 11:52:07 AM »
would it be safe to say with this topic we are just shooting the sh@% :-D    JIM

Offline IntrepidWizard

A Delicate Topic
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 12:29:08 PM »
Pistoler,the story is not true,one there is a grip safety and two the recoil movement would not refire the weapon with no grip safety.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
A Delicate Topic
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 01:13:22 PM »
Wizard, if you were to grab the gun by it's grip and hit the trigger against the hook I believe it would fire and continue to do so until it ran dry.  Just as Bob Munden demonstrates on "American Shooter" .  Not that I want to find out :-)
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline Lancel

A Delicate Topic
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 01:27:12 PM »
I wear a separate holster belt under my waistband.  No matter if my pants are up or down, my gun is secure. :grin:

Sometimes I use a SmartCarry with the same effect.

Larry