Author Topic: Cast loads for a 94 Win  (Read 670 times)

Offline gator64

• Trade Count: (0)
Cast loads for a 94 Win
« on: August 12, 2005, 03:43:03 AM »
I give up !!! :x

I have been messing around for several years, though I must admit not with too much vigor, trying to get a cast bullet load that will shoot in my pre-64 model 94.

I have tried loads using 170 gr Laser Cast, w/o gas check, and recommended loads with IMR 3031, 5744 and yesterday using 7 gr of Unique.   I had tried up to 8.8 gr of Unique in the past and got extreme leading after about 5 shots.  Same problem with the other loads.

Yesterday, I had 5 shots at 100 about 2 min and then it began to open up again.

Got any ideas? :?

Thanx
Ed (gator64)

Offline powderburner

Cast loads for a 94 Win
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 10:43:04 AM »
go find a sack of 32-40 brass and fire form them in the rifle they will have a longer neck and will shoot cast bullets better . I did this with a 32 spl and it worked wonders and the 30-30 is supposed to have a long throat as well ........... Dean

Offline ron haralson

Cast loads for a 94 Win
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 06:04:51 PM »
I've seen some success with both Lee's 150gr flatnose and Lyman 31141 with a gas check and 9 gr of Unique or 22 gr of 4198. This was with water dropped wheelweights + 2% tin. The load of Unique has shot reasonably well in several rifles with the Lee bullet - 2" or a little better for 5 shots at 100 yds using a receiver rear sight. I suspect the gas checks help substantially. Best of luck.
Ron.

Offline Leftoverdj

Cast loads for a 94 Win
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 07:06:46 PM »
Give those bullets a coat of Liquid Alox for starters. Your bullets may also be too small. Cast bullets have to be larger than bore diameter.  The lack of gas checks is probably part of the problem.

Here is first class info on plain base bullets:

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Cast loads for a 94 Win
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 03:13:06 AM »
gator64 - slug your barrel and find out what the bore diameter is - there isn't any reason that 94 shouldn't shoot cast bullets as well as or better than jacketed.  

It sounds like you have a rough bore or haven't shot the rifle enough to get some of that roughness out fo the bore.  Gas checks would help with the leading problem but I would firelap the bore.  You can get kits for this from either Veral Smith or Beartooth bullets, but once finished with that process I would stick with gas-checked slugs in the proper bore diameter.  

For example - one of my 94AEs in 444 finally settled on .432 diameter gachecked slugs for its preferred diet - factory stuff is .429 diameter.  Your 30-30 is a .307-.308 diameter round but post firelapping you may find it shoots .311 gas checked bullets (for example only) most accurately.

There are a number of bullet makers out ther that will custom size their bullets to your preference so you wouldn't ever be at a loss for properly sized slugs.

Offline gator64

Cast loads for a 94 Win
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 04:47:45 AM »
Mikey

Thanks for your response.  All of what you say probably plays into the solution of the problem.  As I said, I have not put and an extraordinary amount of effort into this project.  Got into this dilemma three or four years ago when shooting friendly “buffalo matches” in Gainesville, GA and wanted something to play with along with the Sharps.

I have not slugged the bore and was using .310 bullets that I had on hand.

I purchased the gun new in ’60 and hunted with it until the wedding on ’64.  Then into the rack.  I usually fired a shot at each hunting attempt, even if no game located,  mainly because it was the thing to do after hauling the gun around all day.  Hence the truth in the statement that it has not been fired much (maybe 300 rounds) and may have a pretty rough bore.  I thought of this since a couple of years ago, I had to firelap a Steyer .260 that required a day of cleaning after each firing.  Firelapping solved the problem but denial took over when this thought reoccurred.

Not sure what my next move will be but I am not going to give up too easily.  One of the advantages of retirement is being able to focus on things like this instead of cutting the grass.  It is also long enough after the wedding to get away with it….

Thanks for your suggestions.  Firelapping will probably be the answer. :(

C ya
Gator64

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Cast loads for a 94 Win
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 02:56:34 AM »
Gator64 - I'm sorry Buddy, but denial can be a terrible thing.  More shooting helps, I know.  And, you shoot better before you cut the grass.  I know that too.

How is it though that after we retire we still seem to have less time for shootin' than we did before - I still haven't figured that one out yet.....

Also, firelapping (as you know) is easy shootin' and fun - gosh Gator64, you could take your bride along to help ya - I mean, let's see now...1964 to 2004, plus 1 is 41 years of a wonderful marriage - she should be old enough to help you shoot one of your guns now, doancha think (lololol).  Mikey.