Author Topic: Dick's Sporting Goods?  (Read 2122 times)

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Dick's Sporting Goods?
« on: October 16, 2004, 07:32:14 AM »
On the 24th 2 new Dicks stores will be having their grand openings in our area.

How do they compare with Cabela's?

I need some gear before the opening of our early Deer gun season on the 28th.  Should I wait for the grand opening?
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline bigjeepman

Dick's Sporting Goods?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 08:00:12 AM »
I am sorry to say I have never had the opportunity to visit a Cabela's in person though I am probably an above average customer through the internet. I have never been disappointed with any purchase I have ever made with Cabela's as I truly believe they put "customer satisfaction" as their top priority. They do this by offering high-end products with very reasonable prices.

There is a Dick's in my area that is really nice. I have made purchases in this store that I have been satisfied with. With the luxury of being able to visit the stores in person, I can't imagine Cabela's not being far superior in selections, quality, and pricing.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline pinduck

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
Dick's Sporting Goods?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 08:23:45 AM »
No comparison in our area Dick's have a very limited line to the Cabela's stores I have been in. However its about a 4 hour drive for me to get to Cabela's and 15 minutes to Dick's. Dick's have nothing to compare with Cabela's gunroom.
NRA Life Member 1969

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
Dick's Sporting Goods?
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 04:09:52 PM »
No comparison whatsoever. I am fortunate enought to live close to the largest Cabelas in Hamburg PA and we have Dicks around here as well. Dicks is on par with the likes of other retail biggies like Sports Authority, Sportmart, Hermans, ect. Cabelas is the real deal. Dicks is ok, but you won't find handguns at all and there rifle & shotgun selections are limited. They are ok on ammo and the other gear. There best offering for hunting is likly in the clothing area for gloves, pants, bids, boots, ect.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline CJ

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Dick's Sporting Goods?
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 05:50:47 AM »
In short, Dicks does not compare with Cabelas at all.
NRA Lifer

Offline Will_C

• Avid Poster
Dick's Sporting Goods?
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 10:57:04 AM »
I live close to where Dick's was started. Up to 10-15 years ago, when they only had two stores, they were a real guns and hunting store, where you could buy reloading components, swap guns, etc.  Since their expanansion, they are more of a chain store. The good part is they have the philosophy of clearing the shelves after hunting season, so it is possible to catch things on sale. I just bought a Browning Stainless Stalker .30-06 for $660, the best price I have seen. It was only one of two they had (the other was a .270), so the selection was not great. I got lucky because I wanted a .30-06.
Will

Offline ShottieMan

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Dick's Sporting Goods?
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 08:28:36 PM »
Speaking of the Cabela's in Hamburg, was there twice this weekend (first day we were there I was going nuts cause everyone had there heads up there ya know). Dick's doesn't compare to Cabelas tho'. Only thing dick's has going for them is better prices.

Offline Yukon Gold

• Avid Poster
Dick's Sporting Goods?
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 07:30:09 AM »
Here in Omaha, we had one Dick's which does not compare at all to Cabela's.  Their selection (hunting / fishing / firearms) is poor, and prices are not very good.

Dick's has also recently bought out Galyan's in Omaha.  Visited their firearms section, and the prices averaged 10 - 20% higher than what we can get either at Cabela's or Sheels.
Vegetarian - An Old Indian Word For Lousy Hunter

NRA Life Member
SASS - Silverback
NCOWS
Navy Vet. - USNA 83

Offline jackfish

• Avid Poster
Dick's Sporting Goods?
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 08:01:25 AM »
All Galyans are now Dick's Sporting Goods.  That includes the one in Middleton which is only a couple of miles from the Dick's built in Madison at WestTowne.  How that is going to work for them I don't know?

There may be some things cheaper at Dick's, but overall the selection and prices for outdoor gear are hard to beat at Cabela's.  I'd drive the 100 miles to Prairie Du Chien.
You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Offline lilabner

• A Real Regular
Dick's Sporting Goods?
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 04:51:37 PM »
I visited Dicks at Syracuse NY over the holidays.  (visiting family there)
It was a nice store but the hunting/shooting department couldn't compare to the Cabela's I visited in western Nebraska. It is the original Cabela's retail outlet. It is the real deal.

Offline 2oakes

Dick's Sporting Goods?
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 09:34:38 AM »
I understand that Dick's CEO doesn't believe citizens should have handguns.

Haven't been back since.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
Dick's Sporting Goods?
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 11:42:04 AM »
I'm unaware of the moral objections but I don't go to dicks because the store is worthless.  I'm fortunate enough to have a Cabela's in town.  I went to college where Bass Pro Shop was started, and now they're moving to town.  Hopefully they'll put dicks out of business.

Offline 218Bee

• Avid Poster
Dick's Sporting Goods?
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005, 05:20:53 PM »
I live close to where Dick's was started. Up to 10-15 years ago, when they only had two stores, they were a real guns and hunting store

Dick is Fanfreakintastic!!!!  If your looking for golf clubs, soccer cleats or made in Indonesia footwear.

I went to two Dick's "stores" looking for .54 cal maxi-balls. The stock boys at the gun counter were all "you fool, you should shoot a fifty like the rest of the world" tone in their voice. Patronize me, I won't be a patron in your store.

When they franchised, they went to crap. The Vestal (Endicott?) store used to carry everything, if they didn't have it they would get it. No more, I won't give the sellouts my money. Well maybe for woolrich sweaters during the after Christmas clearance sales :twisted:

Rick
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Forest Walker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Dick's Sporting Goods?
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2005, 05:19:14 AM »
No comparison. In my area Dicks Customer Service SUCKS And they have a very limited line of merchandise most junk, and they never have what I'm looking for. Personally I would rather go th Gander Mountain or Bass Pros no Cabelas in my area[/u][/i]

Offline mmsb27

Dick's Sporting Goods?
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 07:47:03 PM »
What about Gander Mountain Stores?  The ones in PA are nice stores, well stocked, good prices and they carry the stuff many stores don't carry like reloading items.

Offline ponydog80

Cabela's Hands down the best in the business
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 10:12:29 AM »
I also think of golf clubs , Nike shoes and soccer gear when I go to Dicks....I am fortunate enough to be within a few ( ok 6 ) hour drive to KC , where the Cabelas store is there near kansas speedway .  I am proud to say , in all the hundreds of bucks I have spent there....the one thing that remains in your mind is their customer service.   From the "Bargain Cave" , to the top of the line gear, they treat you like you are their only customer.   The freight charges are more than reasonable, and they are just plain NICE PEOPLE.   I will go out of my way to do business with them , for that very reason.  Gander mountain ( near me in Paducah , KY ) is also a great store....but , they have no website, no online ordering, and I don't know about yall, but when I am able to narrow down choices online, then actuqally talk to someone knowledgeable about that product......it practically sells itself.  Gander offers none of that type of customer service.

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Dick's Sporting Goods?
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2005, 04:30:27 PM »
Dick's also bought out Gayland's here in Birmingham.I liked Gayland's better.Noticed that Dick's doesn't have as much in firearms as Gayland's had and they seem to be "very pround" of the guns they do have.HIGH!!! :eek: ........I'll stick with Acadmy Outdoors...............Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline wijim

• Contributor
Dick's Sporting Goods?
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2005, 03:31:55 PM »
Quote from: mmsb27
What about Gander Mountain Stores?  The ones in PA are nice stores, well stocked, good prices and they carry the stuff many stores don't carry like reloading items.

i like gander mountain....

but as with dick's cabelas, scheels and gander....mass merchandisers....ack..you can have em...im sorry but ill put up with inconvenience of special orders and higher prices to do business with mom n pop stores everytime....they wanna serve...they dont have snot nose punks trained in selling techniques......and they will be genuiine when they ask me by name..."jim how was deer season for ya?"

those are the folks i wanna support

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
Dick's Sporting Goods?
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2005, 04:03:09 PM »
you want to hear a better one about them

go in to the closest dicks an ask them about ther A&D book
the ffl book that they have that keeps the records of gun sales an who has bought them off of them.... now its a computer system... a store manager or even a corperate lackie that has the right pass word to the computer system can look your name up an after this year they can tell what gun u got the caliber the ser. number of the gun an what days you got them.... an the best part is you can be in a different state an they can look it up with ease

Offline loaded4bear

• Avid Poster
Dick's Sporting Goods?
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2005, 07:20:00 PM »
There's no comparison between Cabela's & Dick's. The Dick's stores I've been in are about the size of the men's room in the Hamburg, PA. Cabela's store (the largest in the Cabela's chain to date @ 250,000 sq/ft).  

We had a decent outdoors store in my town called Galyan's, which was a chain based out of  the mid-west. They were bought out by Dick's in July 2004, and went down the tubes.  

All I can do now is wait for Cabela's to begin construction on their 1st New Jersey store, slated to open in East Rutherford, NJ in 2007.  

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/aboutus/retail-detail.jsp?detailedInformationURL=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcontent%2Fcommunity%2Faboutus%2Fretail%2Fretail_stores%2Feastrutherford%2Ferutherford_press.html
NRA ( life member)
NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife WCC (volunteer)
NJDF&W Hunter Education Instructor
New Jersey State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs (member)

Offline Dusty Miller

Dick's Sporting Goods?
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2005, 09:10:08 PM »
Can we safely conclude from the above posts that Dick's is piss-poor outfit to do business with?
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
Dick's Sporting Goods?
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2005, 06:18:11 AM »
yeah i would say thats accurate. you can get good deals after seasons during their clearances but thats it.

i worked for them a while and i can say that they dont treat their employees much better than their customers.

they did have a big sale for employees only and i got like 35 percent off anything in the store (excluding guns of course, :(  

but overall i dont go there anymore.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline warrior1

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
gander mountain
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2005, 05:04:03 PM »
gander mountain will match cabelas price, so take your cabelas catalog witg you. They'll also match wal-mart.

I personally prefer gander mountain to bass pro, although bass pro will match cabelas also.

Dick's i find to be an outfit without identity. They carry just enough
to maybe attract someone to their store. the only thing i have purchased
is a license.

how many people do you know will travel the distance a good number of
cabela's custoners travel.
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.