Author Topic: House Drops Arctic Drilling Proposal  (Read 498 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
House Drops Arctic Drilling Proposal
« on: November 18, 2005, 10:41:12 AM »
I just caught this.  Too busy with the elections here Ii guess.

WASHINGTON, D.C.--The U.S. House of Representatives last week abandoned what's become a highly controversial attempt to open Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) to oil drilling. House officials say they dropped the proposal, which had become President George W. Bush's top energy priority, because they feared it would jeopardize the approval of a sweeping budget bill. The House also dropped a proposal to allow states to authorize oil and gas drilling off the Atlantic and Pacific coasts-regions that are currently under a drilling moratorium.
Twenty-five Republicans, led by New Hampshire Republican Rep. Charles Bass, signed a letter asking GOP leaders to remove the ANWR drilling proposal from the $54 billion budget cut bill, saying focusing greater attention on renewable energy sources, alternate fuels and more efficient systems and appliances would yield more net energy savings than could come from the ANWR and would have a higher benefit on the nation's long-term economic leadership and security.
The overall budget bill is a Republican priority. The Senate passed a milder version of the bill last week that would curb the automatic growth of federal spending by $35 billion through the end of the decade. The House plan cuts more deeply across a broader range of social programs.

I thought this would happen.  I believe you are going to see more of President Bush's proposals going by the way side the closer it gets to next years election.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Shorty

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 01:43:07 PM »
It seems that politicians of both parties believe that the voters want to starve in the dark or compete with China for imported oil.  
They may be right.  Getting re-elected is a science and primary goal for them.  Politician and statesman or patriot are not the same things. :roll:

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 03:44:32 PM »
What would the impact on our envioument if we did drill there. No, I don't
mean some Liberal, pinko opinion, I mean the real impact? Do we have
more ability to contain problems with leaks, etc. than in the past. I think so. This area is very,very small compared to the overall refuge.

The same group of Liberal nut cases that don't want any offshore drilling or anything else also don't like us to hunt, shoot or fish. They are all
about saving the animals despite the fact that the hunters are the ones
that spend the real dollars to manage our resourses. I remember them
saying that the Alaskan Pipeline would finish the Caribou for sure! Well
it appears that the Caribou are alot safer running under the pipeline than
the Deer that get ran over by Cars in the lower 48!

As far as some Republicans not supporting the President, I am not supprised as some are just as wimpy as their Dem. buddies, especially some of the blue State wonders. It is sad also that we have not seen any refineries built here in the last 30 years because the greenies rule. I
believe that you deserve the gov. that you get, & many people are not
fed up with the prices so we need to keep paying, I guess.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline swiftman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 03:55:27 PM »
thry will have to get it sooner or later unless they can come up with a alternate that the big corparations can make billions on.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 02:04:08 AM »
Let's face it, so much unwarranted whining and complaining has been done about..WMD..the prosecution of the war..CIA leaks..and general belly aching..that the Pres has lost some of the clout necessary to press the legislation through...

Thanks, whiners and complainers...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 10:51:05 AM »
Just for conversation sake, do you believe that the oil from the ANWR would or wouldn’t help with our current oil problems?  With the high sulfur content of this oil where would you have it refined?   :?   Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 05:16:13 PM »
Lawdog

No one small area like this will in itself solve the problem, but the sum of many small parts would.
It would not surprise me to find out that this oil is not the best out there &
if it was really good stuff, we would hear that it isn't. Have I really researched the composition of this oil from unbiased sources? No, & it
would not be logical to do so because even if it was the best oil available,
easy to obtain without damage to the local Ice, You & I both know that
the opposition & the vote would be the exact same!!!
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.