Author Topic: H&K USP 45 Compact  (Read 402 times)

Offline rdnzl

• Trade Count: (0)
H&K USP 45 Compact
« on: August 20, 2005, 11:43:07 AM »
Picked up a "mate" for my full size USP 45:

I hope to get out and shoot it tomorrow.

It will be interesting to shoot them "side by side".

Offline rdnzl

H&K USP 45 Compact
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 11:06:34 AM »
I just got back from "the range" (read: boonies)

I fired about 50 rounds through the Compact, and about 50 through the full size USP. No wind, and temperature about 80.

Here are my impressions:

The Full Size is an amazing handgun.

The Compact, a little less so, but not much.

Reasons:

Hitting my impromptu targets of potatos on sticks, at distances of 10, 25, and 50 yards, the full size USP was flawless. It was very easy to make hash browns. I fired about half from a rest, for the 50 yard shots, and the rest offhand. I've never been much into paper bullseyes. Shooting fruit and veggies gives me a reactive target, and I don't have to pick up anything but my sticks.....the birds and critters do the rest.

I missed a couple with the Compact, but I think it was mostly from having to adjust my trigger finger position a little, from where it was on the full size. It's not much of a difference, but it is a little shorter reach for me. WIth my long fingers, the full size put my trigger finger in the absolute perfect spot.

The Compact has a very smooth DA pull. The USP is getting better with shooting, and is now pretty good. Both guns have excellent SA pulls.

The checkering on the Compact seems a bit more aggressive. The slightly smaller grip is quite comfortable though.  My hand has one very small area of tenderness right at the underside of my middle finger, right at the first knuckle. Not a blister, just a little red. I was getting hot out, and my hands were getting sweaty, but the agressive checkering held both pistols solid.

I found recoil to be snappier with the Compact, which is what I expected. More muzzle flip, but nothing out of control, and nothing that even comes close to hurting. The full size USP is a real pussycat, with very modest recoil, and less flip.

Both guns fed and ejected all rounds flawlessly. I was surprised to find the brass all in a small circle, and not all over the place. A sign of a nicely tuned pistol.

I'd give the accuracy edge to the USP 45, with the Compact being nothing to shake a stick at. I'm very happy with both of them, and look forward to LOTS more shooting.

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
H&K USP 45 Compact
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 01:39:06 PM »
Very nice. I was thinking of getting one but I have no personal experience with HK and wasn't sure if it was worth the money because it was a bit pricey. The .45 is no longer available but the shop has a .40S&W and a 9mm still on the shelf.

By the way, I responded to your PM on that OTHER board ;)
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.