Author Topic: Making a Mag into a Max  (Read 319 times)

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Making a Mag into a Max
« on: August 13, 2005, 03:26:29 PM »
I finally got around to working with my new 357 mag Handi rifle barrel recently. Wanting to give it something resembling a real chamber, I decided to go with 357 Max to see how that worked. I checked into Reamer Rentals, or just buying one, and decided they were not needed. I got a .382" straight chucking reamer from MSC and used that. I lengthened the factory chamber to 1.610", (the brass I have it 1.590) and polished it out. Presto - instant Max chamber, decent looking throat, and it only cost me $18 to do it. I shot it today with some light loads using 158gr. plainbase cast bullets and 700X, and it held less than 3/4 inch at 50 yards. Looks like a good start to me! I got it for my kids to use in our cast bullet silhouette matches, and it should work great for that.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline hellacatcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Making a Mag into a Max
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 04:16:03 PM »
That is pretty much what I did and it worked like a champ. Had it out today and so far it is making me proud. :grin:
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
Making a Mag into a Max
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 04:25:35 PM »
Yeah Paul;

I was looking at the targets this evening after getting them out of the SUV,  you had a real nice group there at about eleven o'clock.
When Jimmy does something, he does it right.
Reckon we can get him to start barrel rechambering, like a 338-06?  :wink:  Just kidding.
Good shooting Paul.

Dennis  :D

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
Making a Mag into a Max
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 04:50:08 PM »
If we go about it right it mite could happen. 8)
from Tennessee---Paul