Author Topic: 7.62x54R Rechamber: Good or Bad Idea?  (Read 4592 times)

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
7.62X54R conversion
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2005, 09:19:52 AM »
Mainer,You have come up with an interesting subject and we have all expounded our individual opinions.If your main concern is to shoot inexpensive surplus ammunition then the obvious answer to your quest is to buy a handi in 30-06.You can buy some 30-06 milsurp ammunition and see what your results are and if that doesn't work then you still have a Handi Rifle in a strong caliber that still will shoot commercial ammunition.If you went to all the trouble to do the 7.62X54R conversion and it wouldn't fire the desired ammunition then you would have any un-useable rifle.
I'm interested in your thought processes at this point.??????

Stan
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
7.62x54R Rechamber: Good or Bad Idea?
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2005, 09:37:14 AM »
Stan does have a point. There as plenty of 30-06 ammo out there and even more 308. True, these aren't as cheap as 8mm or 7.62x54R, but they are still pretty cheap. And you can pick up one of these barrels ready to shoot out the door for around $100 from factory.
I'm not trying to discourage you, because I would love to see someone do it. And see how it turns out.
-if you have the cash to do it and it won't set ya back, I say go for it :agree: . Plus if you were not happy with it, I am sure you would not have a problem getting rid of it.
So what are your ideas???

Offline Mainer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2005, 04:04:20 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback! :D   As far as my thought process is concerned, see "pros" No. 1-4 in the first post in this thread. :grin:   Of course, as some of you have pointed out, it may be that mil-surp ammo would not function well in my proposed rifle. :(

I'm figuring out how to proceed (work is crazy and I've got lots of projects around the house so this is project is not front and center).

(1)  I may see if some disappointed person wants to sell me a 7.62x39 barrel cheap.  I would them either have a gunsmith do the rechamber or do the rechamber myself (I'd have to research what's entailed with doing it myself.  I'm not a maschinist.  If it involves much more than turning a reamer by hand I'll probably pass on doing it myself).  This would also involve fitting a rifle barrel to a receiver.  Or,

(2)  I may send a rifle to the factory for both a 7.62x39 and a .308 or 30-06 barrel.  Again, the 7.62x39 barrel would be for the rechamber.  This approach defeats the idea of economy, but I'm still insterested to see how a rimmed-mid bore cartridge (something more potent than the 30-30) performs in a handy.  Plus, if mil-surp ammo doesn't work out, it seems like the 54R would be a dandy for reloading.  Or,

(3)  I may scrap this idea entirely and just purchase a .308 or 30-06 barrel or complete rifle.

What to do?! :?

I still think this is at LEAST an OK idea.  IMO a 7.62x39 barrel that won't shoot cheap ammo is near worthless but a 54R barrel that doesn't like mil-surp would still be worthwhile for handloaded ammo.
NRA Life Member

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2005, 06:58:23 PM »
Quote from: Slamfire
Quote from: quickdtoo
Quote from: Slamfire
I think I'd want a stronger action.

If it's strong enough for the .30-06, .270 or .308, it's plenty strong enough for the 54R!! Maybe you need to review some SAAMI MAPs and what calibers are already available in the NEF/H&R rifles from the factory.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/saami_pressures.htm

Since this is your first post in this forum, I am a bit suspect of your reasons for this post, so I would recommend you read the GBO Terms of Use.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/gbo/gbo-tos.php

Tim

I'll tell you what Tim, since you are so suspicious of my reasons for posting, I'll just go away and let you play in your own sandbox. Thank you very much.

Slamfire:

While your statement could be innocent and you might not intended anyharm... generally folks who tend to deliver 1 line open ended statements on their first post...are trying to entice an argument.. and Quick...knowing this was doing his job here....a better approach to gain a warm welcome would have been introducing yourself...and stating your reason of your statement...or at least have the courtesy of watching your post and seeing how it was taken...instead of waiting a day and 1/2 before returning to say anything...this is called net ettiquette...

Next time...if there is a next time...try introducing yourself before slamming our Handi rifles...or at least giving the impression of that...

Have a Great 1...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2005, 04:38:52 AM »
generally folks who tend to deliver 1 line open ended statements on their first post...

I'm confused.  According to the short bio on each post, Slamfire has posted in excess of 60 times.

I ain't taking sides here, am just confused :?

In any case, have to agree that pressure is not an issue.

Offline stiff neck

• Avid Poster
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2005, 05:03:41 AM »
it seems like the 54R would be a dandy for reloading.
 Don't forget to consider the "dandy" price of 54R brass if you plan on reloading.  It's not exactly cheap!  Midway offers Lapua brass at $86/100 count.  Or you can purchase new S&B SP ammo for about $11/box, shoot it, then reload it.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2005, 05:11:44 AM »
Quote from: Longcruise
generally folks who tend to deliver 1 line open ended statements on their first post...

I'm confused.  According to the short bio on each post, Slamfire has posted in excess of 60 times.

I ain't taking sides here, am just confused :?

In any case, have to agree that pressure is not an issue.

My mistake...his first post on the NEF Forum.....

Mac

Offline stiff neck

• Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2005, 05:14:56 AM »
I did an exaustive search.  Graf has the best prices.  I never heard of them before, but the price is ok.  

Laupa 100 pieces $56
Graf brand 100 pieces $29

http://www.grafs.com/metallic/774

Offline Longcruise

• A Real Regular
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2005, 05:31:05 AM »

Have been shooting some S&B and some Grafs brass and both are good brass.

Even my local reloader guy has the Graf in bags of 20 cases.  Graf direct price is better though! :-)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2005, 05:51:37 AM »
Grafs does indeed have some good prices...I'm fortunate in having one of their stores nearby...

Mac

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2005, 12:22:59 PM »
I'll second (third? :lol:) the recommendation on Graf brass.  I haven't loaded any 7.62x54R with it (the ammo is just too cheap to reload for my Mosin), but I have used the Graf 7.5x55 Swiss brass.  It's worked very well for me, and if the need arises for more obscure brass, I'll use them again.

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2005, 03:19:41 PM »
Quote from: stiff neck
I did an exaustive search.  Graf has the best prices.  I never heard of them before, but the price is ok.  

Laupa 100 pieces $56

http://www.grafs.com/metallic/774

I did a super exhaustive search and found that Starline has an even better price. :grin:   $52/250; $88/500; $160/1,000

See: http://www.starlinebrass.com
NRA Life Member

Offline stiff neck

• Avid Poster
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2005, 05:52:54 PM »

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2005, 07:18:57 PM »
... :x  ...stiff neck...why must you tease me and stur up jealousy with this fine piece of craftsmanship and only wish one of my Nagants looked as good? 8) Again I say to you-nice, and enjoy.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2005, 07:43:03 PM »
Laupa 100 pieces $56

This is like showing someone a Rolls Royce...then a Yugo :)  :-D  :) as far as that brass goes...and I know your just showing the price difference...but it does strike me as funny...

Mac

Offline Longcruise

• A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2005, 03:57:12 AM »
I did a super exhaustive search and found that Starline has an even better price.  $52/250; $88/500; $160/1,000

Before you place your oder, be aware that the Starline brass is 7.72 Nagant revolver brass :shock: .  OTOH, you can outfit yourself with the revolver for less than a $100 bucks and then you will have a whole new toy!! :grin:

Here's what they look like:  http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russian_1895_7.62_Nagant_Revolver.html

I've always wondered why the Lapua and Norma brass is so high.  Have never used either, and at there prices, probably won't.  I'm doomed to shooting cheap brass. :grin:

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2005, 05:43:18 AM »
I've always wondered why the Lapua and Norma brass is so high. Have never used either, and at there prices, probably won't. I'm doomed to shooting cheap brass. Very Happy

The reason is...Norma's brass is imported and with the Euro prices as they are...and their export fee's...their manufacturing cost...and the quality of their process...the cost is up there...Lapua's,,,that's a whole different ball game...the reason for their cost is consistency...weight...lenght...uniformity...neck thickness..rim diameters...it's high$$$$$ stuff because it's high quality stuff...from what I seen of it...the folks at Nosler had help from Lapua in setting up their brass making plant...that's why their brass is almost as expensive as Lapua..(retail prices that is..)

Mac

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2005, 04:48:15 PM »

Before you place your oder, be aware that the Starline brass is 7.72 Nagant revolver brass :shock: .  OTOH, you can outfit yourself with the revolver for less than a $100 bucks and then you will have a whole new toy!! :grin:

Here's what they look like:  http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russian_1895_7.62_Nagant_Revolver.html

I stand corrected!  Thanks for possibly saving me a frustrating misorder! :D
NRA Life Member

Offline Longcruise

• A Real Regular
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2005, 04:54:35 PM »
Your welcome, and I apologize for inadvertently changing the caliber of the nagant revolver to 7.72 :)

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2005, 09:33:53 AM »
Quote from: handirifle
Our local Big 5 sporting goods store has the MN rifles on sale for $89 ALL the time.  That would be a lot easier/cheaper and better in the long run.

I have to agree with handirifle on this one.  The MN Rifle is after all, a poor mans sniper rifle Poor Man's Sniper Rifle

I know how alot of you love your handi-rifles, BUT they have their limits too.

MN Rifles are cheap and you can also find them at Guns America and if you have a friend that has an FFL or C&R lic. they are even cheaper than retail.

JMHO on the matter, your milage may vary  :-D

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2005, 09:55:08 AM »
Montanan:

I have a Mosin-Nagant which I purchased for $75.  I've only shot it on one occasion, but I like it.

However, there is extra cost and effort (special mount and modified bolt handle) in putting a scope on a MN.  One might be able to forego the bolt handle modification, but that would require a long eye relief scope mounted forward of the bolt handle.

In addition, it's a lot faster to cock the hammer on a Handi than it is to dissengage the safety on a MN.  Thus, I think the Handi makes a better hunting rifle.  Plus, I suspect the trigger can be tuned to a better pull on a Handi than it can on a MN.
NRA Life Member