Author Topic: putting down others' styles of hunting  (Read 4098 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: putting down others' styles of hunting
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2010, 02:04:37 PM »
I am grateful we're allowed to kill game.  As a meat hunter, I take no exception to methods, except for the methods of slobs and poachers. 

The  father (now deceased) of one of my work associates' growing up in the very rural Central Florida, as the son told me, used to hang apple slices on fish hooks from stout twine so does/bucks would stand on hind legs to take a bite and get hooked/hang like that until found; used to use stout poles with 15" of stout line and dangle red rags in Largemouth Bass beds to erage and hook the engorged and bedding females yanking them out of the water like netted tuna fishermen. 

I couldn't listen to any more.  It assailed my moral and ethical senses.  It turned me off to him as a Poacher.  The son also did, and bragged about, some roadside (illegal) and out of season deer shooting.  All heresay to me, but to act as if I was accepting of such practices was not an option.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2010, 02:56:21 PM »
When I was a boy, hunting deer with dogs in NC was a tradition.  I enjoyed it.  Clubs often had 50 to 100 members and released about that many dogs for every hunt.  Most land could be hunted for free.  Deer could be shot in the rivers!  We had about 10% of the deer we now enjoy.

Forty years later, large tracks of land needed to hunt deer with walker hounds, red bones, blue ticks, etc. have been cleared for farming or commercial pine timber.  Estates have been divided, tracts of land are smaller, and dog hunting clubs can no longer afford the lease prices some smaller groups are willing to pay for prime land. 

I have not hunted with dogs in over 25 years.  I now hunt with a dozen friends and we lease several farms.  Every year my hunts are spoiled by men who drive onto our leased land to look for their dogs.  They assume that a posted sign means no trespassing on Saturday, but on a Monday it is probably OK.  I burns me up for one of their radio collared dogs to loiter around then have the owner drive 1/2 mile from the state road into posted property to attempt to retreive the dog.  The men in the truck always have the same response - "I'm sorry, I didn't think you were hunting today".

I have no problems with dog hunting for deer.  It should be conducted on state owned games lands, open to the public.  Dog hunters should pay a per dog tax, and receive a tag for each licensed dog.  The funds should be used to expand the acerages where they are permitted to hunt.

I think this is a win/win situation. 

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2010, 05:22:20 PM »
As long as we respect the animal, obey the laws, and respect our fellow hunters there should be no criticism of the methods we choose.

There are some (legal) methods I don't enjoy, but if you do then go for it and don't worry about what other people think.

That sums it up right there. But theirs always gonna be someone who doesnt approve of your methods. 

so long as its safe,ethical and legal,sounds good to me.