Author Topic: Luber/Sizers  (Read 843 times)

Offline Lee S. Forsberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Luber/Sizers
« on: July 29, 2005, 04:19:31 PM »
I have used a number of luber/sizers over the years, currently Star and SAKO, Lyman in the past. Does anyone have experience with any others?
LSF/375

Offline Cheyenne Ranger

Luber/Sizers
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 03:17:09 AM »
I've gone from at Lyman 45 to 450 and now 4500.  Basically same idea, just updated.  The 4500 is nice as it doesn't have the big O ring at the bottom to spring a leak.  It also is ready made for a heater.

I up-graded mine with a, for lack of a better name, pressure spring on top.  Now I can run anywhere from 10 to 20 bullets before having to mess with the wrench on top.  Here's the link to that aftermarket piece:  http://www.castingstuff.com/cabinetree_loading_products.htm
scroll down about 3/4 till you get to ALF pictures.  I have two and they do pretty well but the shaft does come in contact with the handle when it's fully raised.  Not too big of a problem when you weigh the benefits.

If you use a heater there is some tinkering.  Too hot and it runs out the bottom in a liquid form.  Hot cool and nothing comes out.  

ÇR
SASS 48747L
RO II
Thunder River Renegades
SBSS #1170--OGB

Offline SGD

• Trade Count: (1)
Luber/Sizers
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 07:37:51 AM »
I have an older BallistiCast.  It doesn't work real well, but I have heard that they improved the new model.

Offline Kenneth L. Walters

• Avid Poster
Luber/Sizers
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 01:56:45 PM »
When I was young I collected reloading equipment.  Complex presses mostly but lubricator/sizers too.

Potter made one, and only one.  I owned it.  Bought it from the Potter family.  Don't begin to remember what it was like but I sure was proud of owning the only one.  Some seniors, I guess, are easily amused.

I also owned a true Ideal Armory L/S.  More metal than was ever needed.  Rather hard to use.

The Jordan L/S were equally odd.  Not sure I ever got one to work.

Within the relm of the more readily available, the only two I never really liked was the Star with a double reservoir and the current SAECO.

Star's are really nice, of course, but when you double the length of the reservoir getting the guts out to put in more lubricant is a REAL pain.  Maybe that's why Magma has refused to make this model.

The problem with the current SAECO is two fold.  First when the main gasket breaks it pops backwards so the gasket you see when you take it apart is backwards.  Try putting the new gasket in based on what the old one looked liked when it came out and you'll talk to God a lot.  Second, when you buy a gasket kit from SAECO to replace your shot part they include a piece you don't need.  That can drive you nuts.  Friends with older SAECOs tell me that earlier units had a different internal mechanism was worked perfectly.

I've got one Lyman 45, one 450 and three 4500's.  I really like the 4500 BUT it can not handle all the older sizing dies because Lyman tightened up the specs some and some older dies are just too large.

RCBS had two advantages over the 4500.  First it can handle old or new sizing dies.  Second it can handle a slightly larger die.  Lyman's were built to go no higher than 0.450 I think.  RCBS's were made to go up to 0.510 if memory serves.  Of course you can buy dies that go up to 0.575 but getting those thing out of a sizer is a real chore.

I've bought a Lee but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Offline DPRinks

• Avid Poster
Sizers
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 04:07:33 PM »
I use Lee, simple. fast, no problems with applying lube to shoot, that is done after sizing, did have a bottleneck waiting for liquid alox to dry overnight.
Got some Hornady Unique case lube to try, just a finger touch would lube 4-6 cases, so I tried it on the bullets before I sized them, works fine, no waiting time.
A nice thing about the Lee is , if you have  a lathe , just get some 7/8-14 rod, cut off a piece, bore and hone to any special size you want.
D. Rinks

Offline Leftoverdj

Luber/Sizers
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 05:16:59 AM »
The Lee pushthrough is probably the best sizer out there, but it does not lube. It doesn't bend long skinny bullets or deform noses and it does help to make sure that the GC is fully seated and square.

When I am being fussy, I tend to size in the Lee and lube by running the bullets through my ancient Herter's lubrisizer with an oversized die in it. It's an extra step in the process but gives excellent results. Dunno I would have bought the equipment to do things this way, but I've had the Herter's and some dies for it for 30 years. The Lee pushthroughs have been added as I needed other sizes.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline LAH

• Contributor
Luber/Sizers
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 02:33:29 AM »
I use this old Ballisti Cast a lot.

Joshua 1:9

Offline dozer

Luber/Sizers
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 04:41:08 AM »
CR,  LLoyd S was using one of the CabineTree units on his Lyman and was getting 50-60 bullets per charge.  10-20 sounds very low.  Apply more pressure and bring the handle up fast to prevent over feeding.
Doz