Author Topic: S&W Internal Safety Lock  (Read 998 times)

Offline sd550

• Trade Count: (0)
S&W Internal Safety Lock
« on: May 25, 2004, 10:14:56 AM »
Has anyone had or heard of a problem with the safety lock on the S&W revolvers? I'm consedering a new S&W, but  thats holding me back. Also, how is their quality now?

sd550

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
S&W Internal Safety Lock
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 11:54:05 AM »
I cant comment on current QC, but I was reading a gun rag and there was a rather funny article about a guy who accidentally lost the key and had to take it down to the g'smith toget the thing unlocked.  If I remember correctly he walked away with a new gun also  :grin: .  Outside of that I hear most of them locks are either "ya use it or ya simply forget they are there."
Good day,
Brian
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline Spencer

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
S&W Internal Safety Lock
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 03:09:20 PM »
I walked 20 min to my tree stand during deer season.  got in the tree, got settled, only had a few hours to hunt.  Pulled out my S&W 686, loaded it, looked at admiring it and noticed the lock tab standing at attention.  unfortunately my keys were back at the house, 20 min walk out and 20 min walk back is what I would have had to do so I bagged it for the day and chalked it up as a hard lesson learned.  So yes I guess you could say it has some drawbacks. :D  :-D
A bad day of hunting is better than a good day at the golf course.

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
S&W Internal Safety Lock
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 01:24:00 PM »
well i have the taurus an it has the internal lock like the smith so what i did is sence i have two keys the second key just became my new zipper puller on my hunting jacket

dave

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
S&W Internal Safety Lock
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 05:02:53 PM »
sd550,
I haven't talked to anyone that has had a problem with the new internal lock.  I have one with the new lock.  I just don't use it.
As for quality, the new S&W's seem to be as good or better than ever.  Their service dept. is excellent.  They seem to be going that "extra mile".
Best,
TnNuc

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
S&W Internal Safety Lock
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 01:52:23 AM »
SLAVAGE:  good idea for all those who have to deal with a pistol with a safety lock.  Mikey.

Offline TNrifleman

• A Real Regular
S&W Internal Safety Lock
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 02:11:39 AM »
I have one new S&W revolver with the internal lock. Each gun is shipped with 2 keys. I suppose one could have problems with anything lockable if one cannot remember the key. I have not had any problems with mine. I can see this as a good idea under certain circumstances for some people. The fact it is there does not bother me or make the gun ugly or prone to fail. My opinion, use it or not, it's your call and responsibility. S&W is building great handguns today.

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
S&W Internal Safety Lock
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 09:26:23 AM »
I have a new Model 60 with the lock, and I pretty much just forget it's there.  It might be handy to have, in some situations, but I've never used it aside from checking it out when I first got the gun.

This S&W revolver happens to be one of the best firearms I've owned, so I have no complaints about QC.  A 3" snub that rings the gong at 50 yards as long as I do my part is a good gun.  It also looks very good, and the lock is barely noticeable.
NRA life member

Offline Buffalo_Hunter

A Perfect Solution for a non existant problem
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 06:55:14 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm the only one here to feel this way,but I have a feeling that quite a few more folks might feel this way.I have a number of S&W handguns,and will never purchase anew handgun another as long as they have their new internal lock on their guns.It is my sincere belief that any handgun or long gun that I own is my responsibility and keeping it out of the wrong hands is a duty and an obligation to myself,and to the public in general.
I have carried a concealed weapon for a number of years(since 1991) and have never felt the need to have a lock on it or any other weapon in my care and custody.The internal locks are simply the legal department at S&W protecting their corporate liability exposure,and trying to shield themselves from lawsuits.An internal lock is nonsense,after all what ever happened to the idea of securing a weapon not in your immediate control in a safe or other secure place.Personal Responsibility is the answer to this concern and not some trick lock to save S & W from someone not taking care of their own personal business.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: A Perfect Solution for a non existant problem
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 09:33:51 AM »
Quote from: Buffalo_Hunter
I'm not sure if I'm the only one here to feel this way,but I have a feeling that quite a few more folks might feel this way.I have a number of S&W handguns,and will never purchase anew handgun another as long as they have their new internal lock on their guns.It is my sincere belief that any handgun or long gun that I own is my responsibility and keeping it out of the wrong hands is a duty and an obligation to myself,and to the public in general.
I have carried a concealed weapon for a number of years(since 1991) and have never felt the need to have a lock on it or any other weapon in my care and custody.The internal locks are simply the legal department at S&W protecting their corporate liability exposure,and trying to shield themselves from lawsuits.An internal lock is nonsense,after all what ever happened to the idea of securing a weapon not in your immediate control in a safe or other secure place.Personal Responsibility is the answer to this concern and not some trick lock to save S & W from someone not taking care of their own personal business.

My feeling is get over it and move on. I have several old S&W's with out any lock and I have bought 5 new ones with the locks. I just don't use the locking feature. In my opinion the lock is a non-issue.  :wink:
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline EdK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
S&W Internal Safety Lock
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 01:51:33 AM »
I cut my teeth on Ruger revolvers and my mentor did a pretty good job of brainwashing me that S&Ws were good to look at - not to shoot.

Well, it took me a little while to get over that so I did not come to appreciate the S&W revolvers until the past few years. Unfortunately the locks were in place. I now have several and have gone well out of my way to avoid them by purchasing older, nice specimens.

Offline ed1921

• Avid Poster
S&W Internal Safety Lock
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 09:56:01 AM »
I read in a gun mag(don't remember which) somebody (Mas Ayoob I think), related a story about about shooting a .357 J frame & parts of the locking mechanism fell out. While the gun still worked it didn't instill any confidence in the setup.
Don't quote me on that though.  :wink:

Offline ed1921

• Avid Poster
S&W Internal Safety Lock
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 03:00:29 AM »
Actually I found the issue, Jan. '05 American Handgunner, where Massad Ayoob does tell about 3 S&W's that had trouble.
2 were ultra light J frames that locked up while shooting +P+ & .357 mag and another scandium .44 mag that locking parts flew out of even though the gun still still worked.