Author Topic: 17 HMR in aaan unscoped revolver? What possible use?  (Read 664 times)

Offline Robert

• Trade Count: (0)
17 HMR in aaan unscoped revolver? What possible use?
« on: August 22, 2005, 05:34:05 AM »
I have heard of a lot of people liking this hot new 17 that it a necked-down 22 Mag....but in a rifle. It is very fast and flat shooting, and I have heard that it is very accurate for small varmints, but a little too light for yotes. So....what would be the possible uses of having this chambered in an 'unscoped' revolver? Are people just getting these as a 'brag' pistol? There are certainly 'cheaper' pistols for plinking.....it seems like it would be worthless for ANY kind of hunting, would NOT be my 'go-to' for home defence.....So what good are they?
....make it count

Offline Dusty Miller

17 HMR in aaan unscoped revolver? What poss
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 06:31:33 AM »
They are good for bringing in cash to ammo manufacturers and gun makers.  This product was developed because the marketing department said it would fly.  Its an expensive way to kill cockroaches.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 06:40:33 AM »
Ha Ha.  I would tend to agree.  I think my it is probably cheaper to shoot my 9mm, and I can re-load for the 9mm.  Seems like everybody just has to have a new toy that nobody else has yet.  I cannot see the reasoning with this one though.
....make it count

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 07:55:39 AM »
For squirrel hunting.  Not everyone needs a scope, as a matter of fact, I think they are pretty ridiculous on a handgun (I consider a T/C a  handgun only by strict definition).  

SAWgunner
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 08:57:16 AM »
Well............I have  Ruger Single Six in 17 HMR.........fun to shoot, also have a Handi  17 HMR and a Savage 93 17 HMR. I'm just a gun nut I guess, have 10 Handi rifles, no need for that many for sure, but enjoy them all. Have to admit, I usually shoot my Ruger Mark III Target Slab barrel 22 with a red dot the  most. Carry the 17 when fishing, knock of snakes and turtles

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 09:24:29 AM »
Why knock what other's like to shot or for what ever reason. Nobody is making you buy one.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline oso45-70

Handgun General Discussion
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 12:12:46 PM »
Robert,

It May be that some people don't think like you do. I see some things on some of these threads that don't appeal to me but you will never hear me say any thing about it. Seems to me we should try to assist shooters of all ilk on these forums and not berate them. That an opinion, Just mine though :D ........Joe.........
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline Questor

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 04:27:16 PM »
There are some guys around here that shoot their 17 HMRs and really enjoy doing so. I could personally never figure out what value the cartridge has, but hey, in this regard I live in a glass house, so I shouldn't throw stones.

By the way, rumor has it that S&W has the next X frame on the drawing board: .223 Remington.
Safety first

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 06:05:40 AM »
I think you guys misunderstand.  I am not 'knocking' it yet.  I just want to know what it is for and opinions of people who have tried them. (well...maybe I knocked it a little...)
  I finally got to try one yesterday...GET THIS...I shot a soda can filled with water (like I do with 22 hollowpoints for fun....usually shreds the cans)
  The TNT bullet made about a 1&1/2 inch crater/entry.  But did not exit, did not make any other blemish on ANY other part of the can, did not deform the bottom or top of the can from pressure, and there were NO fragments of the bullet inside of the can.  Absolutely one of the most amazing things I have ever seen.  I might still figure out a use for it...certainly not for hunting anything bigger than rabbits though.  This is NOT a HUMANE bullet.  Wow
....make it count

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 08:27:38 AM »
Quote from: Robert
I think you guys misunderstand.  I am not 'knocking' it yet.  I just want to know what it is for and opinions of people who have tried them. (well...maybe I knocked it a little...)
  I finally got to try one yesterday...GET THIS...I shot a soda can filled with water (like I do with 22 hollowpoints for fun....usually shreds the cans)
  The TNT bullet made about a 1&1/2 inch crater/entry.  But did not exit, did not make any other blemish on ANY other part of the can, did not deform the bottom or top of the can from pressure, and there were NO fragments of the bullet inside of the can.  Absolutely one of the most amazing things I have ever seen.  I might still figure out a use for it...certainly not for hunting anything bigger than rabbits though.  This is NOT a HUMANE bullet.  Wow

Now you got me wanting to shoot a soda can willer with water. :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Special Ed

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 09:09:29 AM »
IMHO, in order to get the full benefit of the cartridge, you need to have a scope or dot sight on the handgun.
It's basically being used to splatter small vermin into oblivion, so take advantage of what the designers gave you.
Ed

Offline oso45-70

Handgun General Discussions
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 11:53:18 AM »
Robert,

Maybe i came off a little strong but i don't want gbo to become like some off the other outfits, No name mentioned.......

My shooting pard has one in a thompson contender that he shoots p-dogs with. We have a dog town that goes from about 35 yds to 400 yds. from where we set up. He takes them out to about 75 yds and i will say that he pops them pretty good. He leaves me the easy shots out to the 400 mark.
So I guess the little 17hmr has a place in the shooting world. I will defend the 17 Rem as a long range shooter. On a still day i don't have a problem out to the 400 yd mark. Red sails in the sunset :D .........Joe........
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline Questor

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 01:12:47 PM »
Robert:

I can't see much value to it either-- the cartridge or the gun. But that's just me.
Safety first