Author Topic: Looking for 225gr WC loads  (Read 384 times)

Offline LoneStar22

• Trade Count: (0)
Looking for 225gr WC loads
« on: September 17, 2005, 07:55:47 AM »
Hello to all,
I want to work up loads for my S&W 25-2 (45ACP/45AR), using the SAECO 225gr Wadcutter bullet.
I have the following powders on the shelf: Unique, WW231, Universal Clays, WST, Red Dot and 452AA. If you have a load for any of these powders or others you might have tried, I would appreciate your help. Thanks for your time.
Regards,  
Tim

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 07:20:38 AM »
Lonestar, please be advised that getting your loads from others on the Great Disinformation Highway is a risky business.  If you don't have a good reloading manual then you need to spring for one and learn to rely on it.  The people who put them together have done a lot of painstaking and thorough work with pressure test barrels and when they tell you that a load is too hot then you can bet yer bippy the loads too hot.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline LoneStar22

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 09:13:03 AM »
Dusty,
Your point is well taken. But a review of my library of reloading manuals did not turn up a load for a SAECO type 225gr wadcutter bullet. Using a load for a bullet of similar weight is as risky as the information on the highway you mentioned. The SAECO wadcutter seats deeper in the case than bullets of similar weight, and I am sure you are well aware of the issues that brings up. The intention of my post was to seek out reloaders with “experience” loading a 225gr wadcutter in either 45ACP/45AR cases for revolver.  
Tim

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 02:34:12 AM »
LoneStar - within the past year or so there was an article by Mike Venturino in Shooting Times I believe, which he titled - 'The 45 Colt is Obsolete'.  In that article he spoke to the use of that SAECO bullet as well as an RCBS cowboy bullet, the RCBS 45-230 CAS, and loads he used for those slugs in his 45 Colt and 45 AR.  If you can track down that article it should have some good information.  

Also, if you scroll down a couple of pages you may find a post by me asking if anyone cast out the RCBS slug and what powder charges they used for that in the 45 acp case.  Not a lot of responses but good ones.  HTH.  Mikey.