Author Topic: what am I doing wrong  (Read 808 times)

Offline Doc Contender

• Trade Count: (0)
what am I doing wrong
« on: August 22, 2005, 01:28:48 PM »
Cast my first 405 bullets last week. Used weigh weights. Recieved my sizer die size .459 today and tried to resize. bullet stuck in die. I did not think that lublicant was nesessary to size. Am I wrong?

Doc Contender

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
what am I doing wrong
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 01:36:18 PM »
What sizer are you using?  If it's the Lee pushthru die, it needs lube.  The instructions I got with mine said to lube with Lee Liquid Alox, size and then relube.  If you don't it will gall and maybe stick some.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Doc Contender

what am I doing wrong
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 01:52:27 PM »
I have a used rcbs press and a new lyman sizer die.459. Bullets out of mold are .462

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
what am I doing wrong
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 01:55:55 PM »
If it's a Lee push through die, you need to screw the die farther into the press.  If it is adjusted properly, you should be able to size a bullet, remove the die from the press, and the bullet will fall free when the die is turned upside down.  When the die is in the press, as you size bullets, the next bullet pushes the previous one toward the top. Good-luck...BCB

Offline powderburner

what am I doing wrong
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 04:10:34 PM »
you do need to lube, especially if you are going to size ww 3 thousands...
    .............Dean

Offline HL

• Contributor
what am I doing wrong
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 01:24:34 AM »
I've never lubed before sizing with the Lee push through sizers and have yet to have a problem with bullets sticking or not being sized to the correct dimension. Like stated above, adjust the sizer a little lower in the press and the bullets should not stick.

I don't use Alox and never will, especially after reading the warnings on the container.

Just my .02.

Offline MikeP

what am I doing wrong
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 06:00:03 AM »
Lee's instructions are to lube the bullets before sizing, and then to lube them again after sizing to compensate for what has been rubbed-off in the sizing process. I like to pan-lube my bullets with conventional lube, size them in the Lee sizer, and then use the Alox as the final lube.

Depending on the bullet, if you don't lube before sizing, you could stick them in the die; probably what has happened here. Some bullets and bullet metals may not require this, but it is always safer to lube.

Relative to the warning on the back of the Alox bottle, that it contains chemicals that cause cancer, birth defects and reproductive harm as determined by the state of California, I think the same is said of lead  bullets and many of the things we use today. It's everywhere...everywhere.

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
what am I doing wrong
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 11:47:38 AM »
Guys, READ the OP's post, he is using a Lyman die, not Lee!  

Doc, the die should have some lube on it to facilitate sizing.  As these come from the factory they are coated with a preservative which is sticky, not slippery.  Remove the die, clean it completely and put a stick of lube in the RCBS sizer.  Once a little lube has been pumped into the die your troubles should be over.   :D

Offline Doc Contender

what am I doing wrong
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 03:15:40 PM »
Thanks for all the info. I did apply lube and the bullets sized without problems. Now I need to know how to place gas checks?

Thanks for the Help
                                                      Doc Contender

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
bullet type?
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 05:06:16 PM »
Doc,
What is the design of your bullet?  If it's one that's intended to be used with a gas check, it'll have a step down at its base. You should be able to just push the gas check on that part of the bullet and fix it in place by running it through the sizing die.  With the Lyman lube/sizer, and, I think, the RCBS, the lube/sizing and the GC application is done at the same time.  Here's a before and after picture of what I'm talking about:

Lyman makes a "gas check seater" that fits on the shaft of the "stop rod" under the sizer but usually you don't need it.  If the gas checks won't just slip on the base of the bullet, you can enlarge them a tiny bit with the right size ball bearing. It will slightly "flare" the edges of a too tight to fit gas check.  Good luck and good shooting.
 :wink:
stuffit
Everybody changes their minds sometimes but a fool and a mule.

Deceased

Offline zrifleman

• Avid Poster
what am I doing wrong
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 07:57:22 PM »
The harder the lead alloy is, the larger the bullet diameter will be--up to a certain point. Hard lead alloys don't shrink when they cool as much as pure lead. Lead alloys continue to harden after cast for about 1 week. So 2 thigs have happened--Your wheel weights of unnone composition that you quenched to make harder---are too hard and oversized for the Lyman die. Some 45 cal rifle molds were cut with the thought that a soft lead alloy would be used. By the way, lube is needed when lubrisizing newly cast bullets. Check the Brinell hardnes of the bullets and you may find them in the mid 20's where 12-15 would be plenty hard. Bullets should come out of the mold at .459-.460 or even less. Size the bullets right after casting and use and oven to heat them--then quench.