Author Topic: Should I use factory forends or go custom?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline dboutdoors

• Trade Count: (0)
Should I use factory forends or go custom?
« on: December 04, 2002, 03:02:20 PM »
I have been looking at the custom barrel makers and most of the better ones reccomend a hanger system to attach the forend to contenders. I have several barrels and several different forends. Is there a notable difference in the accuracy? I have a 16in 44mag barrel on order at the Thompson custom shop. I dont know if ordering it was a good choice after finding this site and reading about stress relieved barrels and accuracy gaurantes. If the barrel is no more accurate than standard factory barrels would the hanger sytem and custom forend help? Any help would be great.

Offline KN

Factory forend
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2002, 04:59:54 PM »
First get your barrel and shoot it with the factory forend. You'll probably find that you don't really need a custom one. I have found that the big bore callibers are alot more forgiving than the hyper-smallbore callibers when it comes to forends and free floating and such. Thats an awfully short carbine, ought to be easy to carry. There are some tricks to "free floating" your barrel. A washer or o-ring between the barrel and forearm, A piece of electrical tape applied at the mounting hole surface. Just some thing to lift the forearm slightly off the barrel. But like I said, You probably won't need it.  KN

Offline dboutdoors

Factory Forend
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2002, 05:17:09 PM »
Thanks KN. I'll try it first. I didnt think about the o ring or tape. Thats a good idea. I went with the 16in barrel so I could use it as a carbine and maybe a pistol also. I have a 14in 30-30 and its not too long. Hope it works. Now I just have to wait. TC Fox Ridge said 10-12 weeks but maybe it wont be that long. Thanks again

Offline KN

10-12 weeks
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2002, 06:43:58 PM »
I ordered my 450 18" bull from them about a year ago and they told me the same thing 10-12 weeks, took 16 weeks before it finally arived. Sure is a nice barrel though. KN