Author Topic: quick one just for you  (Read 611 times)

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
quick one just for you
« on: September 09, 2005, 01:54:54 AM »
i had this old 45/120 case stuck the lee 500r bullet in it i think it looks impressive don't you. bernie
if its feral its in peril

Offline lonewolf5347

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
SEMI-POINTED 45-70
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 12:20:23 PM »
HERE A QUESTION DO THEY MAKE A SEMI-POINTED CAST BULLET FOR THE 45-70 IN THE 300 GRAIN CLASS?
I WAS OUT SHOOTING TO-DAY (MY FLINTERS) AND A GUY AT THE RANGE HAD A OLDER MODEL 45-70 H@R
WE STATRED TALKING ABOUT THE CAL. AS FAR AS HOW MUCH BULLET DROP BETWEEN 100 AND 300 YARDS ,HE STATED FOR LONG SHOTS YOU HAVE TO AIM FOR THE SKY
 :-D
I WOULD THINK A SEMI- POINTED WOULD SHOOT A LITTLE FLATTER AT LONGER DISTANCE.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
quick one just for you
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 12:36:21 PM »
The BPCR boys used long 500gr + bullets for long distance shooting. I think the best you could hope for in a 300gr bullet would be an all copper spitzer bullet like a 300gr Barnes-X with a BC of .340 which would have a longer profile and higher BC. Isn't gonna happen with a lead bullet, I'm afraid, or the BPCR boys would be using them.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=669033

The 300gr Barnes Original has a BC of .291...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=635838

The 350gr X-bullet might be and even better candidate with a BC of .402!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=228162

Here are all of the .458" bullets listed at Midway, all of the lead spitzers are 500gr or bigger...

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=1&Categoryid=7290&categorystring=9315***652***675***9016***
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
quick one just for you
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 01:30:44 PM »
I say stick with tghe heavier projectiles, they are what got this cartridge its reputation.

I LOVE a old saeco mold I have. It throws a 500 grs bullet in spitzer profile. I have shot a couple hundred pounds of these down range. Its a great bullet. I load it with 3031 out of the 29" Highwall barrel. Last cronographed at 1200 fps if memory serves.....

My hunting bullet is the 400 speer or the 405 Remington. I load the Remington in my H&R's to about 1650 - 1675fps and the Speer in my Browning Highwall and Marlins loaded to just under 2000 fps.

The 300 was a weight to try to entice some higher velocities from this ol' grand dad.
  I have shot a couple Whitetails with the 300's and they work fine. It wasnt untill a friend shot a bear head on that I stopped using them. The bullet entered half way down the throat cought the top of one shoulder bone and disentgrated. Yes this was a handload and yes it was loaded faster than factory, about 2000 fps or so. I think it was a Hornady bullet, not sure. He got the bear, as some of the bone fragments made it into the chest cavity. But not stellar performance to say the lest.
  A couple years later, again on bears, I shot a 210lb sow through the shoulders, broad side with the Speer and my handload. The bullet broke both shoulders before exiting with a quarter sized exit. the bear went down instantly and began quivering all over, death balled and fell silent. just that quick. I am sold on heavy for caliber projectiles.
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline lonewolf5347

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
45-70
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 01:46:05 PM »
QUICK: I AM LEANING MORE AND MORE FOR THE H@R 45-70 BUT THE 38-55 IS ALSO ON MY MIND
THE ONLY THING  TURNS ME OFF IS I READ A LOT OF POST HERE WERE THE 38-55 IN A PAIN IN THE BUTT ,AND SEEM A LITTLE MORE EXSPENSIVE TO RELOAD AND SHOOT. :D  :-D
I WILL HAVE TO MAKE UP MY MIND BY THE NEXT THREE WEEKS WILL BE UP IN PA. EARLY M/L SEASON AND WILL STOP AT WALMART IN PA. :)

Offline dodd3

quick one just for you
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 01:47:16 PM »
hi guys i have an original h&r shikari in 45/70 and it does fine with the bullet in the pic at loads you can use in it .
bernie :D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
Re: quick one just for you
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 01:48:15 PM »
Quote from: dodd3
i had this old 45/120 case stuck the lee 500r bullet in it i think it looks impressive don't you. bernie

Hey Bernie!!! I tried to reply to you this am, but I got the infamous Page not found when I submitted my post!! Anyway, here it is again...

Bernie, looks familiar!!! Those pointy bullets look way kool!!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
Re: 45-70
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 01:51:19 PM »
Quote from: lonewolf5347
QUICK: I AM LEANING MORE AND MORE FOR THE H@R 45-70 BUT THE 38-55 IS ALSO ON MY MIND
THE ONLY THING  TURNS ME OFF IS I READ A LOT OF POST HERE WERE THE 38-55 IN A PAIN IN THE BUTT ,AND SEEM A LITTLE MORE EXSPENSIVE TO RELOAD AND SHOOT. :D  :-D
I WILL HAVE TO MAKE UP MY MIND BY THE NEXT THREE WEEKS WILL BE UP IN PA. EARLY M/L SEASON AND WILL STOP AT WALMART IN PA. :)

I wouldn't let the 38-55 blues worry ya, there's plenty of help here tween JPH45, Cheatermk3 and a few others to get ya over the bumps if ya have any after reading all that they've written on it, so go for it!!! I have one myself, it's just had a little sex change and is now living life as a 405 Winchester!!! :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline dodd3

quick one just for you
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 01:55:35 PM »
thanks tim, the bullet has bc of 443 which is wy it shoots so flat out the buff classici its very accurate as well not bad for a $13.75 mould from track of the wolf.

Offline dodd3

quick one just for you
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 02:10:02 PM »
tim rang adi and 2207 is the same powder as h 4198.they said that they are the same powder density.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
quick one just for you
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 02:15:03 PM »
Bernie,

H4198 is a little fast burning for the 32" BC barrel, so I've been working on loads with H4895 to take advantage of the longer barrel. H4198 works great in a 22 Handi barrel, though. Ya might try some AR2206H which is an ADI equivilent to H4895...

http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/burning_rates.asp