Author Topic: Need a Better scope!  (Read 950 times)

Offline doninva

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
Need a Better scope!
« on: September 14, 2005, 03:48:28 PM »
I have a 10-22 Ruger that is tricked out and will shoot very well. I use it for squirrel hunting. I have a Bushnell trophy 4x12 with AO on it, and it works very well at the bench, but leaves a lot to be desired in the woods :( . I have realized that I don't need anything above 7x as I can't find a squirrel bounching on a limb :shock: . I think a 2x7 or a 3x9 rimfire scope would be the ticket. I think AO is fine but not needed on a hunting rifle. I am a little skittish of the 28mm scopes as they might not give a good sight picture. I have considered the Leupold , Burris and Weaver. Any suggestions would be great. Don

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
Need a Better scope!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 03:53:42 PM »
I put a Bushnell Trophy 1.75x4 on my 10/22 with the circle X reticle. I haven't used it for hunting yet but IMO 4x is the most magnification you'll need. I think the circle X reticle will be about perfect.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Need a Better scope!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 04:18:11 PM »
A scope of 2-7 is about ideal for a squirrel rifle and at that magnification range AO is not needed but one with parallax adjusted to 50 yards is a nice feature. Some offer it and many will adjust it to that for you after you buy.

I have both a Leupold and a Bushnell Elite 3200 in 2-7 and they are both nice scopes.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Need a Better scope!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 04:52:06 PM »
In my experience I have always found squirrels to move to fast for optics.  The shots are usually close and the citters jump from tree to tree.  I found I can hit more of them without optics. It seems that when I get them in the scope, they move and old iron sights are quicker. I own some pecan trees and I have to work hard to make any nuts in the fall.  The regular iron sights work best for me.  The biggest problem I have is what to do with the squirrels?  Good Hunting

Offline Atomic Chicken

• Avid Poster
Need a Better scope!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 04:56:46 PM »
Greetings!

May I suggest the Nikon 4x fixed power rimfire scope in matte black...
I recently put one of these on my Ruger 77/22 bolt action and it is GREAT!!!  One of the best scopes I've ever owned, nice wide field of view and as bright as any Leupold I've ever bought...  better reticle design than the Leupold 4x as well... so far I have no complaints at all.

Best wishes,
Bawko
Support your local chicken.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Need a Better scope!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 03:12:53 AM »
I have a Leupold 4X on my Remington pump .22. I think it is everything I need for hunting with a .22  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Need a Better scope!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 03:19:24 AM »
I would also consider the Weaver Classic Rimfire 2.5-7x28 or the 3-9x32 AO model.  They are really nice scopes and are very reasonable in price.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Need a Better scope!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 01:48:05 PM »
My preference is for the Leupold scopes. They have a number of models in their "RIMFIRE" line. These have the parallax set for 50-60yrds. This is VERY IMPORTANT!
 If the Leupolds are too rich for your blood, that Nikon 4X is a good scope and is a bit cheaper. I recently picked up a used Monarch 4.5X16. I was happy with the clarity and resolution of its optics.  
 OR just buy the best you can afford, but get an ADJUSTABLE OBJECTIVE!! Simmons, Bushnell both have satisfactory offerings.

Don't be too hung up on setting it for every shot, set it close to what you figure the shot will be (OR 50 YRDS) and this will suffice.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Need a Better scope!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 02:49:00 PM »
I have a marlin model 25n in 22 LR that has a Bushnell sports view 3-9x32 scope on it. I can and have take squirrel out past 100 yards with this set up using CCI Stingers.

This is my "Varmint sniper rifle", it will shoot anything i put In it from 22 Remington ceebees long to CCI stingers and anything in between. This rifle /scope have calmed more birds and back yard pest then I care to think about and it is flat out the best squirrel set up I have.

I had it to the range a few years ago and a guy offered me $500 cash on the spot for this rifle after seeing how well it shoots, the bad thing is I have less then $100 in the entire gun and have had it for about 15 years.

Offline Lawdog

Need a Better scope!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 03:20:39 PM »
I prefer AO parallax adjustments and powers of 4-16x or 6-24x(3-12x at the very least) on all my rimfires.  The main reason is so I can focus these scopes down to ranges of 10 or less yards.  Most of your so called big game scopes(1 inch tubes) focus is set at 50 yards or more.  When taking head shots on tree squirrels and such at 10 - 15 yards it comes in handy for telling which is squirrel and which is tree.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.