Author Topic: how to prepare for the moment of truth?  (Read 673 times)

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
how to prepare for the moment of truth?
« on: August 25, 2005, 06:03:26 PM »
Hello Folks,

We get the chance to read a lot on what gun to choose, what type of ammo, what method of carry etc… but we seldom see discussions on how to practice, what sort of drills people do, mental preparation or discussions on defensive combat philosophy.

So here’s everyone’s chance to discuss the seldom mentioned topics:

Please tell me how you adress the above mentioned things.

Take Care and Be Safe,
Scott

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 01:28:34 AM »
"Mindset", It's an inner thing. It's like a religion, or the martial arts. This coupled with training to instill the proper muscle memory, reactions is what must transpire. All doubt must be removed from the mind, lest the body hesitate. Good professional training is almost a must for most of us.
Savage
Good question, TscottO! It's one we all need to ask ourselves.
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 02:24:50 AM »
No matter how much you train you will not know how you will act in a situation until it happens. I have see the big tough guys crumble.  Myself I have had 7 years of Martial Arts and I have been put in the situation that I have defended myself. But that was empty handed. I have never been in the situation that my handgun was needed. I hope with the confidence I display with my Martial Arts that if the need arise I have the same if a firearm was needed. I also shoot a lot and know my abilities with my firearms.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 07:18:13 AM »
Correct Redhawk. However, if you fail to train as realistically as possible, your reactions are very predictable in a stress situation. Force on force training is an eyeopener. Works as well as sparing in the martial arts.
Of the times in my job and private life that I have had to draw my weapon, there is no doubt in my mind what the outcome would have been if the situtation gone the other way.

Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 10:56:03 AM »
I agree with Redhawk1. Having fired a wapon in self defense, and ending a life it's hard to pull the trigger on a HUMAN BEING! :(

And at the time the thought passed through my mind, what if I spend time in prison. I decided I would rather do that than any harm come to my then future ex-wife.

When it was all over, the shooting was justified, and all I had to do was answer a barage of questions on the scene and in a detective's office. I even got the gun returned to me a month later.

But you never know what you will do when it happens. That's why the state of mind is important. Always be thinking, "What would I do if something happened right now".
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 01:42:03 PM »
I can say that after you go through the real deal, its a big mental FUBAR for a while.

Train.. if you can get into IDPA, TSA, GSSF or IPSC do it.  You have to mentally prepare.

Offline redial

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 04:27:54 PM »
Savage bullseye'd it - mindset as a state of mind.

Your brain must recognize, interpret, evaluate, and issue the command before ANY of the weapons skills or tactical applications can begin.

Most people (often including cops) don't realize they're engaged in a fight until it's well along because it develops so fast and they're in a reactive mode.

In the proper mindset, you're already halfway there, ready and prepared when the indicators appear.

I went to a domestic call once where the drunk husband rushed me from about 15 feet, across the kitchen. He was off balance and missed with the carving knife and I shoved him through the drywall (big drunk!) BECAUSE I FORGOT I WAS CARRYING A GUN. I was behind the evaluative curve.

Mindset.

Sorry for the length!

Redial
10-7

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 09:06:24 PM »
Know what values you live buy and stick with'm.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!