Author Topic: .308 wulf  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
.308 wulf
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2005, 05:10:31 AM »
Would the survivor shoot moa, or sub moa with match grade ammo?? If it won't I guess I really wasted my money on this one Confused

Actually...mine would shooot match ammo quite well...Federal 168gr Match in around 1/2" MOA...and it shoots the Winchester 150 grain power points a-little better ...

There is 2 different type ammo available for all the suplus military rifles on the market...and it sounds to me that many folks here don't understand the difference...

Mil-Surp ammo...is usuallly older ammo that a goverment has had in storage and released for surplus sale.It was loaded to function in very sloppy military chambers that could function with all type of junk in it in the field.

Mil-Spec'd ammo...built to specific specifications for the weapons it is to be used in..NOT...SAMMI specs...and sold to civilians or on contract to military forces.

Here's an article I copied about shooting this type ammo in a SAMMI spec'd gun..even though it's for the 223...the same applies for the 308..

5.56MM NATO VS. SAAMI .223 REMINGTON

Pay attention to this! Out of the box, chances are an AR-15 will have either a SAAMI or a NATO chamber. There are huge differences. Specifically, 5.56x45mm NATO specs call for a longer leade than SAAMI defined for commercial .223 Remington (which was originally determined for bolt-action rifles). Leade is the portion of the barrel ahead of the chamber where the rifling has been conically removed to allow room for the seated bullet. A shorter leade raises pressures. Compounding this, military ammunition is nearly always loaded to higher pressures than commercial. Shooting 5.56mm mil-spec ammo in a SAAMI "minimum" .223 Remington chamber can jump up chamber pressure 15,000 psi, or more. Not all AR-15 barrels are correctly marked, and some aren't marked at all. Know by asking the manufacturer, or just shoot ".223 Remington" ammunition and don't worry. Know also before selecting loading data. If loads were worked up in a NATO chamber (Colt HBAR, for instance), they will be overpressure if used in a SAAMI chamber.

This is the likely reason why you getting stuck cases...they are loaded too hot.Until you actually measure your leade and chamber's spec's you won't really know what you got.

The Survivor is a fine gun...and will shoot the right ammo along with most bolt guns.If the only reason you got it was to shoot this type ammo...your best off getting something else.

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline lostsniper308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
.308 wulf
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2005, 07:04:45 AM »
i had no stuck cases or anything outta da ordinary with the Aussie stuff.

so basically its ok to use military surp stuff but not so with mil-spec-ed stuff? So would this be Survivor safe?
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=196511

if this be safe then its also reloader friendly brass-n-boxer ammo
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=220587
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
.308 wulf
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2005, 10:57:55 AM »
If your Survivor's chamber and leade are cut to some military's specification...then it might be ok...but I wouldn't use it...our Handi's are civilian spec'd rifles...not military spec'd rifles..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...