Author Topic: A little off topic  (Read 657 times)

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
A little off topic
« on: August 01, 2005, 05:40:48 PM »
Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you have ever eaten squab, or older pigeons?  I wouldn't imagine that they would be terrible to eat considering they eat leftover grains.  Plus, don't they serve squab(young almost out of the nest) in fine restaurants?  The reason I'm wondering is that I have a hankering to at least try one or couple of them out.  A buddy of mine and I are trying to clean out his barn of them, and I'd hate to see them go to waste if they really are good.  Thanks.

~~~Cattleskinner
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
A little off topic
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 06:55:34 PM »
catskinner,
As a boy on our dairy farm, I shot lots of pigeons that were rousting in the rafters of our barn. Their droppings were all over the equipment and cow feed, so Dad and I started thining them with a 16 gauge. We would sit along the side of the barn and get them as they approached at sun down. (Warning: do not try to shoot then from inside the barn. I did this once and Dad wasn't happy with me!) They were not very big, but with several in the pot they were very good, as they were living off our grain and corn. Enjoy!

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
A little off topic
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 04:20:08 PM »
I know what ya mean about dad getting a little upset shooting in the barn...lord knows I've had my share of butt reamings for that over the years.  My buddy has an old silo that has around 50 pigeons living on it(well down to about 38 now I guess).  Got 5 all cleaned up for the pot, just a matter of finding the best recipe to use on them...any suggestions???

~~~Cattleskinner

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
A little off topic
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 05:05:34 PM »
I fix them just like wild turkey. Their meat can be dry, and I bake the breasts over white rice with small pieces of bacon held in place with tooth picks to add moisture. Before baking season per your taste. Shoot/eat/repeat.

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
A little off topic
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 10:38:43 AM »
I too have spent some time in cleaning out  (well - reducing) pigeons from barns. (By the way, is it possible for you to do them inside the barn with a pellet gun? That (usually) doesn't do damage to the barn.

And after the initial fun, and the cleaning part, I've done 'em up similar to mt3030, the same way I do grouse.

Breasts with a strip or two of bacon wrapped around and held in with toothpicks. Slice up a sweet onion, a tomato, add a dollop of butter, season as desired (usually just salt and pepper for me) and wrap in tinfoil, put in a baking pan or pyrex tray and bake in the oven.

I pre-heat the oven to 450F, put the pan/tray in and immediately turn the heat down to 250-275F. Let it sit there for a good 30 mins then unwrap the tinfoil, check the meat, (leave it in longer if necessary).

When meat is done (no pink) you can serve and eat immediately or if desired (which I usually do) drip some of the juices over the meat, turn the temp down to 175ish and leave it in the oven another ten minutes or so.

Another possibility (and I often do this with chicken breasts) marinate, preferably for 2 hrs or more (probably more is better with pigeon/grouse etc) in your favorite salad dressing (recently I've been using Sweet Honey Catalina, and Garlic Ranch by Kraft). I just put the breasts in a zip-lock sandwich bag, pour in a healthy dollop of dressing, smoosh it around (I hope no one objects to my using such technical chef jargon!) and then let it sit, turning over the bag and smooshing whenever I remember to do so. Can also be done in a suitable sized bowl covered with plastic wrap or tinfoil.

After the marinating time (in truth that is anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days - depending on my memory) I put 'em in the oven as described above (or slap 'em on the barbeque). With the chicken I leave out the dollop of butter and the tomatoes but often add onions and/or mushrooms. And chicken breasts would be thicker so I'd leave them in for at least  45 mins.

*Note: ovens are not created equal, so you may have to experiment a bit re tempuratures and times.

Another way to do a number (6 or more) small breasts (like grouse) is to dip them in a homemade or commercial 'breading mix', fry 'em up in butter (or garlic butter -yum) and as Wally says: "Shoot/eat/repeat"  :agree:

Have fun.

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
A little off topic
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 01:06:19 PM »
Thanks for the replies fellas!  I've used the pellet gun technique in another barn, and then the ones I found outside got the shotgun treatment.  Let's just say that, my first attempts at pigeon weren't the greatest.  I tried frying them in oil after coating them in flour/salt/pepper.  Then I put them in a cassarole.  While not the worst I've ever eaten, they were definately far from the best.  I think that the marinating technique is what I need to do, as they had a bit of a gamey taste to them.  I also thought about the bacon trick, as a few people have told me about that, but I couldn't find any around the house, and for sure wasn't going to "waste" perfectly good bacon on a pigeon.  I just might have to though.  Well fellas, I think that we've gotten around 20 out of the barn so far, and I think I'm going to go over tonight, and see if I can clear anymore out of there.  Any ideas on how to get some of those high flyers?  They are starting to get a bit gunshy, and hang up around 50+ yds. from the barn.  I'm thinking it might be time to switch to #4 shot, or put out a blind so that they can't see us by the barn till they're in shooting range.  I'm just fishing for ideas here.  Thanks.

~~~Amos

Offline BAGTIC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Pigeon recipes
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 06:08:16 PM »

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
GRILL'EM
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 11:47:57 PM »
Once when camping in the Rockies, we were parked next to some Texas Boys.  They served me some of the best tasting Dove I ever had.  I don't remember if they had marinated it or not, but the rest of the procedure was similar to what you guys have described.  They made a little split next to the breast bone, tucked in a piece of Jalapeno pepper, wrapped it in a strip of bacon, held on with a toothpick and then grilled them over the fire.  Very tasty, indeed.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
A little off topic
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 03:09:13 AM »
Thats how we do it pepper in breast, bacon season salt grill

Gona bust some Thurs. & take the boys out this weekend.

How fast can you load a H&R :)
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline Savage .250

A little off topic
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 04:16:16 AM »
Years ago i used to spend time on a friends farm and there were lots of
   pigeons around or i should say there was before we "culled" their numbers.  That was fun.  
   As far as eating-um goes i`ll pass.  Think i`d rather eat fresh road-kill.  Just my thoughts.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
A little off topic
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 04:28:28 AM »
Sorry fellas, I've been away doing stuff for the military for the last week and a half.  Had to go to Pennsylvania to train.  I think that I'm going to try the pepper stuffed inside the breast idea since the pepper plants are getting ripe right now.  The bacon and marinating is definately on the list too.  Now it's just a matter of unpacking my gear, and finding some more pigeons to cook.  Keep the ideas coming.  

~~~Cattleskinner

Offline Lost Okie

• Avid Poster
A little off topic
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 09:41:17 AM »
Pigeons, haven't tried them "Yet".  
Like the salad dressing marinate idea.

You could debone the breast, dice it up, throw it in the skillet with a little olive oil (leave popeye home), throw in some portobella mushrooms, little onion, garlic, creole seasoning.

Or, cook them on the grill.  Coating with butter or olive oil and your favorite seasoning.  Try the mesquite rather than hickory.