Author Topic: Light .357/.38 special  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Hardcase

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Fellowship of the Outdoors
Light .357/.38 special
« on: August 08, 2005, 09:00:24 AM »
I'm buying a carry gun for my wife. I feel like a .357/.38 special revolver is the way to go. Can you all give me some suggestions on the best for the money?
God, Guns, Game, and Trapping

Home of the Fellowship of the Outdoors
http://www.fellowshipoftheoutdoors.org

Bob Boyd

Offline RBishop

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Light .357/.38 special
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 09:25:06 AM »
I like my Colt Detective Special and my Colt Cobra.  Both are excellent carry pistols.  Of course Colt doesn't make them any longer but if you search they are available on the used gun market.  I would also suggest some of the early S&W Bodyguard revolvers or S&W still makes a good revolver if you prefer new ones.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Light .357/.38 special
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 01:44:20 AM »
Hardcase:  What does your wife think?  What does she like?  If she is petite she may not like the blast and recoil of a 357, or even a 38.  Some gals don't.  

If she does like 38s or 38 snubbies, I would go for a S&W.  I believe they still sell the Ladysmith and I know you can still get the airweight Bodyguard, both excellent choices.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline rockbilly

Light .357/.38 special
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 03:45:18 AM »
:D The Lady Smith is an excellent choice, but I would buy the .357.  If she can shoot the factory ammo that's a plus, if she has a problem with the factory .38 or .357 then load her some .38 wadcutters, 158gr conical base with 2.5 gr of bullseye, load the bullet upside down.  This is a light load, not much muzzle blast, yet the wadcutted will do considerable damage at close range.  As she gains confidence/experience up the load.

Offline MikeP

Light .357/.38 special
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 11:43:52 AM »
Let her hold several models of .38/.357 revolvers to see what fits her hand best. A lot of people like the feel of the Ruger SP101, including me. It's a beautiful and durable little gun.

Offline CraigJS

Light .357/.38 special
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 12:48:18 PM »
Go with the Lady Smith (with her inspection and approval), you can feed it 38+P Speer Gold Dots. Less than a .357, more than a .38 special, and a darn nice defence round out of a short barrel. (PN: 23921) LS's are pretty guns but speak with authority..
 Just the .02 , CraigJS

Offline AZ223

• Contributor
Light .357/.38 special
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 07:20:13 PM »
I agree with MikeP on both counts. I had a S&W 642 in .38 Special, and it just never fit my hand right. I now have an SP-101, and it fits me perfect. Accurate, lightweight and the muzzle blast alone fills the "wow" requirements as well... :-D
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Light .357/.38 special
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 12:49:45 AM »
S&W Model 66.  My wife shoot mine and loves it.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Win 73

• Avid Poster
Light .357/.38 special
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 04:50:39 PM »
I purchased a S & W Model 317 Airlite for my wife.  It is a 3" barrel, 8 shot, double action, .22 lr revolver.  It weighs 9.9 ounces.  She likes shooting it.  She tried my Ruger P89 9 mm semiauto.  She didn't like the recoil and didn't like shooting it.  After I get her more used to shooting, I hope to move her up to my S & W Model 637 Airweight .38 snub or my 9 mm Taurus snub.

True, the .22 is not the most desirable self defense round, but it is better than nothing.  And my wife feels comfortable using it.  A .22 she can handle is better than anything else that she can't.
"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."  Luke 11:21

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Light .357/.38 special
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 09:51:16 AM »
I bought several guns for my wife trying to find just the right one for her, all to no avail.  When I brought home a model 60 smith I bought for a pocket gun while hunting, my wife said 'for me?' and she has owned the gun ever since!  In other words, it has to be something she likes.  Nothing else counts!  Doesn't matter if it is the lastest, super duper, whizbang out there, if she doesn't like it, she won't shoot it!  44 Man.
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline rockbilly

Light .357/.38 special
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 11:48:09 AM »
:roll: Don't ever try to out think a woman............I bought several guns "for my wife", she didn't like any of them.  She came home one afternoon while we were living in Germany with a Mauser HSc 380.  She packed that little gun in a Crown Royal bag in her purse for many years before concealed carry was even heard of in Texas.

Returning alone to West Texas from a business trip to Dallas, she had reason to pull her gun when a couple of drunks tried to run her off the road.  (A truck driver took over, and handled the two drunks until DPS arrived.)  When she got home, she told me about the problem and said "it has been years since I shot this gun, I want to take it out tomorrow and fire it."  The following day we set up a target, she aimed and pulled the trigger, SNAP, I cleared the gun and tried it, SNAP.  I took the gun to the shop and tore it down, what I found was cigarette tobacco packed in the action to the point it would not let the firing pin hit the primer.  I cleaned her, we went back out and it never missed firing.  Later that evening, she brought the gun to me and said " put it in the safe, and let me have the Lady Smith.  She no longer smokes, and is still packing the Smith.

Point is, it's hard to beat the revolver when the chips are down.  Especially when it may not get the frequent care required to properly mintain an auto.

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
Light .357/.38 special
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 10:58:03 AM »
If it were me, I'd take her to the range and let her try a few. Then let her decide.
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
Light .357/.38 special
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 08:18:06 AM »
just watch some of those lightweight .357 pistols...    theres a thread over at Packing.org about liteweight .357's being painful to shoot, even for some bigger guys.  ....which should be obvious due to the nature of recoil vs. lite weapon.  Duh!

just my opinion, but I'd get her something in .38spl or at least only shoot .38's if you get her the 357mag.  

My female friend who only weights about 100lbs owns and shoots a Rossi .38 snubby.  accuracy is fare, price was good..   heard good and bad of Rossi though.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
Light .357/.38 special
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2005, 12:58:55 AM »
Hardcase  let her look at the S&W 642 38 special +P it weights only 15 ozs  not expensive and a great shooter . Remember when looking at snub nose revolvers to try on different size grips before you make your choice.This is a great pocket revolver  no hammer to snag on clothing .

Offline arky65

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Light .357/.38 special
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2005, 07:39:41 AM »
I have found  that most women have trouble operating semi auto's. as for as that goes alot of men do too. revolvers or easy to operate just pull the trigger and they go bang.
 i bought my wife an airwieght bodyguard years ago. not to heavy, recoil is stout, but when you have to use it you will not notice the recoil.  she shoots my security six with with full power loads and she does ok  but they are larger and heavier.
 i keep a 2 3/4" ss security six in my truck at all times, and have one  hidden at the camp, and another one bedside at home.  
Let her shoot as many different types as possible with the same ammo you plan to use and see what she likes. if she does not like it she will not carry it.

jme

arky65

Offline sherpa

gun for wife
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2005, 12:41:56 PM »
i switched out my j frame .38 for the kel_tec .380 very light and more rounds. my wife likes it too.
IF I HAD KNOWN I WAS GOING TO LIVE THIS LONG I WOULD HAVE TAKEN BETTER CARE OF MYSELF.