Author Topic: 44 mag. problems  (Read 907 times)

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
44 mag. problems
« on: September 07, 2005, 09:35:55 AM »
I have four barrels, a 223, a 308, a 44 mag. and a 45/70.  Three of these shoot better than I do but the 44 seems to want to pattern rather than group.  I have tried various loads and different bullets mostly 240 & 300 gr.  The best results yet are with 240 (429) and light loads of Unique.  I have noticed that some on this forum are having better luck with larger (431) bullets.  I don’t know if the bore is oversize on the 44 but I know the chamber is larger than on my Deerfield.  Bullets fired in the Handi must be full length resized to chamber in the Ruger.  I saw some (431) Laser Cast 240 gr. in my Midway catalog and as I have to be in Columbia this week anyway I thought I might pick some up.  Has anyone had experience with this bullet in a Handi?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
44 mag. problems
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 09:40:03 AM »
Welcome aboard!! :D  Use the search feature looking for 44 mag posts by JPH45 and Mtjerry, their posts will tell ya a lot about shooting the 44mag, for the most part, cast bullets of .432" IIRC were the ticket, but slugging your bore will let you know what size to shoot.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=69551

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/search.php
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MtJerry

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
44 mag. problems
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 10:10:37 AM »
Start this process by sluggung your bore and you will save a LOT of time.

Also, read everything that JHP45 has written about his adventures with his .44 mag barrel.  Another great time saver.  I kept me from losing my mind.

NEF has stated that they aim for a .431 sized bore and allow for -/+ .002.  So, if you get anywhere from .429 to .432, you have one that is in specs as far as they are concerned.

If you are going to shoot cast, you want to order them at least bore sized and some suggest .001 over bore size.

My bore is .432 and I shoot 265gr. LWFN bullets from Beartooth (pic below) sized at .432 and they shoot ragged groups at 50 yards.  I have also shot the Hornady XTP's (240 and 300gr.) with some acceptable results.  However, ordering the lead bullets sized .432 made it a VERY accurate rifle.

beartoothbullets.com
:D

Offline safetysheriff

• Trade Count: (0)
44 mag. problems
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 01:24:01 PM »
ranger'

it drives some of the guys nuts, but i still say, if using a micro-grooved barrel go with a gas-checked projectile like in the picture above.    that's the real secret in shooting 'tight' bullets in a micro-groove when using cast bullets.   otherwise, try shooting jacketed projectiles, and stay away from Unique - in my opinion.  it can be a very versatile powder, but not every firearm takes to Unique.    

try IMR 4227, Alliant 2400, or bulk wc-820 for good results in the .44 mag' with a variety of bullet weights.    Win' 296 and H-110 are generally for heavier bullets.      a faster powder that Ed Matunas liked in the .44 mag' was Hi-Skor 800-X.   he once wrote it up as part of an article in a Handloader's Digest.    he got respectable velocities, and excellent accuracy with 800-X.      

use a tight crimp, with brass that is uniformly trimmed for length to achieve a consistent result with your crimping.

tell us more when you get out with it again,

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
44 mag. problems
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 02:07:53 PM »
How do you sugest slugging your bore, what to use method ect.

Last time I tried I used a hollow oval lead sinker just ove sized & pushes it through the bore with a dowl rod, was in a revolver so it did not go very far.
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
44 mag. problems
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 02:12:08 PM »
Here's a tutorial on slugging a bore....a 44 mag will require a size 8 egg sinker.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JPH45

44 mag. problems
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 02:58:44 PM »
Good info on sluggin' your bore. If you want to shoot cast, start with this. I was shooting plain base 265 grain bullets to 1450 fps with no problems whatever. If you want to go faster, you probably do need a gas check design, but I shot two deer with a 265 grainer at 1275 fps. Most folks are reporting 1" 50 yard groups with bullets that fit the bore properly, I don't see why your's wouldn't do the same. I was shooting AA1680 and Blue Dot mostly. The 1680 is a bit slower than H110 and 296, but it was very cast friendly in the 44. Wouldn't make a good pistol powder, not enough barrel, but just fine in the Handi. It's a good adventure.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
44 mag. problems
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 02:59:25 PM »
That was basically what I had done but with no grease  :(  this should make it easier.
Thanks quick your full of IT (I mean knowledge) :grin:
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
44 mag problems
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 11:10:05 AM »
I have reloaded with different bullets and different powders for this gun for the last two years and as of yet can not get it to group regularly.  All my reloading experience is with jacketed bullets and the XTPs seem to do marginally better than the size 429 bullets.  The way this gun shoots reminds me of a .58 muzzleloader I have.  As long as I keep the loads light it does ok but when I step them up to hunting speeds I start getting flyers.  I know for a fact that the barrel on the .58 is oversize as mini-balls and normal size round balls just sort of slide down the barrel.  If I slug the barrel and find the true size of it and then get cast bullets that size is loading them much different than loading jacketed bullets?  I don’t really expect to deer hunt with this barrel (the 45/70 is more fun) but I would like to get it to regularly punch paper and kill cans.  Before someone jumps me I have nothing against the 44 as a deer killer as two of the last three deer I have killed have been with my Deerfield.  Thanks again for the help and advice.  I will get back when I have time to work up a load.

Offline JPH45

44 mag. problems
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 02:58:37 PM »
Loading should be just the same. It really sounds like you have a size problem, nothing more. I have been going through a similar situation with my 357 Max. I may have found a solution, but have thought this so many times I don't want to speak in detail at present, but I will post as I see more groups with my current load.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc